PDA

View Full Version : Just started Citalopram

Bobby5024
21-12-16, 11:57
Hi

I'm new here so let me introduce myself. In 2010 I though I had everything. I was a 3rd year medical student looking forward to the rest of my life. Everything changed when I left (Due to financial reasons). Looking back 6 years now I can't believe that I have become the person I am today. After I left, all I did was stay in my room, Watch tv and smoked. I done this for 5 years now with the occasional job here and there. During this time I felt brain dead but managed to complete an Accounting qualification and was offered a good job as a finance officer near my house a few months ago. During this period I had severe panic attack at night and went to work as a zombie. Finally having admitted that there is a problem, phoned my GP on the 21st of November who put me on 10mg of Citalopram. The first fews days were hell but I managed to take a day or 2 of work. However for the last few days haven't been sleeping and when I phoned my work today to call in sick was sacked. Now I feel like a failure and regret taking the meds. Any adivice Please!

sollythegolly
21-12-16, 19:42
You certainly have been in the wars Bobby.

My advice would be to continue taking the Citalopram, possibly asking your GP to up the dose to a therapeutic 20mg. Also I would consider some kind of counselling, CBT based is probably the best bet. It's not easy getting the counselling - it can take some time to arrange, and then probably only on a telephone basis in the initial phase.

The important thing is to concentrate all of your efforts on recovery. Not much you can do about getting released from your job. I'm assuming you were still on a probationary period.

You're not a failure. You're just going through a difficult phase in your life. It will pass.

Hope this helps. The best of luck to you in your recovery.

Bobby5024
22-12-16, 08:34
Thank you Solly. Today I feel much better. After two weeks the Citalopram is finally starting to work( I Think)). Having spoken to the GP yesterday, she is happy to keep me on 10mg for a month.she also prescribed Zopiclone to help me sleep longer. Yesterday night I just fell asleep as usual, without any insomnia or relying on the sleeping pills. Today I feel as if the fog is lifting and feel more clear headed.

Thanks

sollythegolly
22-12-16, 17:07
Glad that the Citalopram is starting to work for you. We're all different. It was 12-14 weeks before I noticed any significant difference. I also had 6 weeks of CBT via a telephone contact.

I think that once you start to feel just that little bit better, and your sleep improves, that things tend to get back into perspective, and from their on in, hopefully better. Do be aware of 'blips' in the process. I've suffered from a couple of setbacks that have lasted several days. If you are aware that these blips are possible, then it's easier to cope with them. At the start of my first blip I was not aware and it threw me a bit. But then reading the numerous posts on this forum, I realised that it was quite normal.

All the best for a quick and speedy recovery - and then go for the fantastic and well paid job that you probably deserve.