PDA

View Full Version : sertraline making me feel worse

Ethansmom
21-12-16, 16:44
Is this normal? I have been taking it for a week now started at 6.25mg for a few days, now and 12.5 and will go up to 25MG on Sat. I have been taking Xanax to cope with the increased anxiety. I feel like my mind is racing and my obsessive thoughts are even worse.
Should I stick it out? Has anyone else experienced anything similar and if so, how you did you cope with the start up effects?

Noivous
21-12-16, 16:47
Hi - I know how you feel. Many here do. Unfortunately early on in ssri treatment there is a period of discomfort. Severe for some not as bad for others. I wish I could tell you there are hard rules for everyone but reaction to treatment can vary greatly from one person to another. But one thing that is common for those who stick with it is that it works for most. Hang in there. The biggest reason sertraline doesn't work is because people give up on it too soon.*

Ethansmom
21-12-16, 17:18
thank you for the comforting words. I so appreciate it! It's tough. I feel like I am slowly loosing my mind. I am off of work all next week for the holiday, so i'm hoping the medicine will even me out a bit and that I can relax with my family.

ServerError
21-12-16, 17:25
I had an incredibly hard time starting up on sertraline. God, it was awful.

Eight months later, I still take it. It really sorted me out. You just have to hang in there until the horrible stuff passes, which it does.

Noivous
21-12-16, 17:40
I had an incredibly hard time starting up on sertraline. God, it was awful.

Eight months later, I still take it. It really sorted me out. You just have to hang in there until the horrible stuff passes, which it does.

There you go. I think ServerError laid out a fairly typical (and hopeful) experience with sertraline.

Thanks!

emmegee
22-12-16, 00:05
Don't give up yet. My first time taking it I also had a terrible time. Yawning all day and wanted to jump out of my skin! I would say give it some more time and try to be patient. Good luck!

Noivous
22-12-16, 02:48
Don't give up yet. My firs. t time taking it I also had a terrible time. Yawning all day and wanted to jump out of my skin! I would say give it some more time and try to be patient. Good luck!

Good advice and great pic btw of your dog and cat.:)

wareing77
22-12-16, 14:40
I had an awful time starting up as well, i started at a low dose like you and gradually worked my way up to 75mg.
2 years later and im still on it and it has helped me loads :-) so stick with it if you can and the side effects will subside soon enough.

Nick

Ethansmom
22-12-16, 15:48
Thank you all for your support. I do find myself constantly yawning and feeling very sleepy as well. I'm looking forward to feeling better, so i'll stick it out.

Tweetiepie82
28-12-16, 18:50
Hi, I'm new on here and just started taking sertaline on Monday. I've got really heighten anxiety, restlessness, night sweats and even a jaw ache. How long does the side effects last for? I have been on sertaline before many years ago and can't remember. Just want to feel better.
Thank you Michelle