PDA

View Full Version : Finally found a GP who'll prescribe me pregabalin

Lissa101
21-12-16, 19:13
After having 2 docs tell me that this is not a suitable medication for anxiety I saw a new GP today who thinks I'm a good candidate for pregabalin. I've tried 3 different SSRI's and he did say that, technically, he should try me on an SNRI next. However, he undestood that I didn't want to try them since I'd had v bad side effects from SSRI's.

So now I just have to decide whether I want to give it a go. Reservations are 1. I've heard start up effects include dizzyness and drunkeness type feelings and I have to walk my dog three times a day, he's big strong lad and I'm worried about not being in control of him and 2. I have my phd examination in March and I need to have my mind sharp for that.

I'll be reading all the posts on here and doing some research in the meanwhile. I have to say its quite exciting to have a new option :)

SmilingAlbert
22-12-16, 12:04
Start-up SEs from Preg for most people are very mild - and one of them, happiness and even euphoria, is quite welcomed by many if they are coming from a bad place. Just take things one day at a time...

Good luck.

Albert

Cherryade
22-12-16, 16:45
I had 17 of the side effects mentioned on the leaflet for pregabalin but they only lasted less than a week. My doctors take on that was the more side effects the better as that showed it was having an effect! The dizziness bit only lasted a few days. Your dog will be fine if you can only manage short walks for a couple of days. Don't let that be the reason you don't try them.

Lissa101
22-12-16, 16:54
Thanks for the replies, they're very reassuring ☺. I think I'm going to give this a go! I'll wait until after xmas (family and side effects are just too much to handle together). Fingers crossed x

hanshan
23-12-16, 04:17
Hi Lissa101,

Good news that you have found a doctor who will prescribe pregabalin. Don't too much about the side effects. They are usually mild and temporary - much, much easier than SSRIs, in my experience.

Cherryade
23-12-16, 12:32
I think you would find that family would take your mind off the side effects. Start them now.

Mark13
23-12-16, 15:58
Out of the may drugs I've taken over the years for GAD, I found pregabalin to have the mildest start-up side effects of any apart from the beta-blockers (propranolol and atenolol).

Mark