PDA

View Full Version : Is my anxiety the cause of this !

Benisfked123
21-12-16, 22:05
Their are numourous words that can trigger my anxiety causing me to be anxious and worried. But is this part of it all ?!

If I ever just see the words: Cancer, anything bad to do with your heart and lungs, Brain Tumor. And much more. It just makes me think I have that disease when I see them words and I don't know why. Then I go through a cycle of convincing myself I don't have it then I see another word and it triggers it all over again!

Is this my anxiety?????! Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks

shakey1961
21-12-16, 22:30
I have to say I've not come across that before, however, do you think it could be some OCD?

Remember they are just words to describe conditions. They are words on a page that mean nothing to anybody, unless your doctor talks about them to you. They don't apply to me, you or anybody on that random piece of paper.

Benisfked123
21-12-16, 22:41
I have to say I've not come across that before, however, do you think it could be some OCD?

Remember they are just words to describe conditions. They are words on a page that mean nothing to anybody, unless your doctor talks about them to you. They don't apply to me, you or anybody on that random piece of paper.

It's probably OCD, it's just horrible feeling to think you have a condition that you don't actually have. I've honestly been fully convinced of having a brain tumour until I had to snap out of it and actually deeply think about it. I'm on fluoxetine now so hopefully it starts to work soon and I'll be okay...

shakey1961
21-12-16, 22:46
I was always consulting Dr Google, but in the end it got me the answer I needed. I have Gluten Sensitive IBS and it's that which has caused me so much panic, anxiety and ill health for 40 years.

Got there in the end - I always said "Something was doing this to me"

MyNameIsTerry
23-12-16, 13:22
No, it doesn't have to mean OCD - it's just a trigger. Just like reading a health scare story triggers people.

If you mean you believe seeing or hearing the words make it more likely for you to have it, which others may be thinking of when suggesting OCD, then this is called Magical Thinking. MT is an OCD theme but it can also be found across other anxiety disorders and OCD is diagnosed when it is affecting your life, hence it could just be a secondary issue to a primary anxiety disorder and not worthy of a separate diagnosis. That's one for someone trained to make the diagnosis, obviously, probably not a GP though unless they understand lots about mental health. If it's a random word as opposed to cancer, MT could be likely.

LunaLiuna
23-12-16, 13:57
As Terry mentioned, it is more than likely a by-product of the original anxiety, than the sole cause of your worries. And because of this I think OCD, and any name you attach to what your experiencing is better diagnosed by a health professional. That is, if they believe in diagnosing something as complex as this; which my psychiatrist didn't!

Personally this is particularly relevant to me, any time I hear or see anything to do with a head related problem (ironic) it almost instantly brings on a panic attack. I can even attach, as mentioned above, magical properties to these events when I see/hear my fears. Such as attributing how many times I come across my fear to the likelihood that I have it.

Whilst it is unpleasant, the main reason (I think) we react to it so easily is because we want to look after ourselves, ensure our own survival. So you are in good hands, your body means well!

But right now, you are just overly sensitised to looking for those warning signs. Some people recommend exposing yourself "Exposure Therapy"" to the triggers, others rationalisations "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy". If I could recommend anything, it would be to explore these options :)

Merry Christmas!

Benisfked123
23-12-16, 17:24
These replys mean a lot! I've already been trying to see a cognitive therapist but haven't had the chance to see one for free! I'm seeing my therapist on the 28th so I will ask her about seeing one.
Merry xmas to you all!