PDA

View Full Version : I need support and assurance.

Jowi0586
22-12-16, 16:19
I really need some encouragement right now. I suffer from skipped beats and flutters. I've been dealing with them for a long time now but they seem to be worse this year. I'm finding it very difficult to convince myself that it will get better because it's been so long and I read on forums like these that people much older than me are still terrified by them.

The reason for this post in particular is that I'm driving six hours home for Christmas, and I'm so scared for the drive and the trip in general that I've almost canceled several times. I want to be strong enough to do this and so many other things but I just feel so helpless and scared. Any words of advice or positivity to get me through this trip and to enjoy a Christmas with my family would be so appreciated.

Thank you all.

Also, I'm traveling with my dog and have this irrational fear that something will happen to me on the road and there won't be anywhere for her to go while I'm in the hospital. Crazy I know. Thanks again for listening.

NotCool
22-12-16, 18:35
Hi,

Did you have any tests for your heart? And they came back normal?

Palpitations in general are scary and they come in all varieties, but in vast majority of cases they are harmless - meaning that if you don't have other symptoms, you're fine.

As for driving, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The thing with anxiety is that it feeds on your mind when you're thinking about it - that is, you don't have to think about it to trigger it, but once it starts happening, it kinda consumes you momentarily. At least that happens in my experience. But, when you are driving, your mind is occupied with different tasks (watching the road, controlling the steering wheel, shifting gears, stepping on breaks etc.), thus shifting focus from anxiety itself. Take enough time for the drive, relax as much as possible, and if need be, take a few breaks while you drive. Good luck.