PDA

View Full Version : My Positive Pregnancy Story from a Type 2 Diabetic

AmyJane1508
22-12-16, 21:32
I'm 29 years old and was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes over 2 years ago. Diabetes runs in my family and I also have PCOS. The Doc advised I could be diet controlled but put me on 500mg Metformin once a day to help me ovulate. Last June I finally got pregnant after almost 2 years of trying. 6 months of acupuncture, taking vitamins such as Vit C, cod liver oil with Vit D, B complex vitamins and folic acid along with clean eating. I was so happy when I found out I was pregnant. My joy soon turned to fear when I started googling pregnancy and diabetes. Bad idea. All that came up was horror stories. The good stories were few and far between, but still had tales of the babies being whisked off to NICU when they were born. I was a mess. I worried the whole way thru my pregnancy. I never believed my baby would make it. I couldn't relax and enjoy my pregnancy. I was scared my Diabetes would kill or harm my baby. My anxiety was thru the roof. I controlled my blood sugars the best I could. I was so strict that after giving birth I was only 4lb heavier than when I got pregnant. The pregnancy did put pressure on my pancreas so I had to jump to insulin. I started with small amounts of Insulin with each meal but towards the end of the pregnancy I was on a ton of insulin. I had lots of hypos and I mean lots. It was hard work and very tiring. I could eat my dinner and have a blood sugar of 6 mmol an hour after eating and then half hour later It would dip right down again to about 3. I would treat the hypo and then it would shoot up to about 12. It was a real balancing act. I was worried the effect this would have on our baby. I was convinced it would damage her. At her scans she was healthy and had a nice steady weight gain. I was induced at just under 39 weeks and she was born completely healthy with perfect blood sugars. She didn't need to go to NICU. She was born at 8pm and we went home the next morning. Best day of my life.

I just wanted to share my story as I was so scared when I was pregnant. I couldn't find any positive stories out there, but you can have a healthy pregnancy and baby with diabetes. Don't fear the insulin. Its a tiny tiny needle which you can hardly feel. The constantly changing blood sugars with highs and lows are hard work and can be scary, but utalise your diabetic nurse and dietician. Eat healthy, take your 5mg Folic acid and Vitamin D and whatever other meds the docs prescribe for you. Monitor your sugars well and regularly see your Nurse. It can be done. My daughter is 9 months old now and healthy as a horse. Googling ruined my pregnancy. It should have been the happiest time of my life but my anxiety took over. Lesson learnt :)