PDA

View Full Version : Night sweats?

.Poppy.
22-12-16, 21:34
Anyone ever had this problem? I've been waking up in the middle of the night just drenched in sweat. At first I thought it was because I have fleece sheets and two warm blankets on top, but I'm housesitting and I slept in a bed with no sheets and a single blanket (heat barely on) and it happened again last night.

I don't ever feel hot, either, in fact I end up really cold because I'm so damp.

I'm thinking it's not something to be concerned over but it's weird nonetheless.

Fishmanpa
22-12-16, 21:41
Been that way my entire life. My kids are the same. We're just hot blooded :D

Positive thoughts

UKmamainUS
23-12-16, 00:40
I'm not normally, but have been the last month or so. My hair is soaked when I wake up. I checked my thermostat but it's not left up at night, so I don't really know what's going on. From what I have read in the past, it's only when you wake up so drenched that you need to change your clothes (not an "I think I might change my clothes", more a "I have no choice but to change my clothes, as I look as though I just fell in a lake") that it is really a concern.

I am somewhat overweight do to a real health condition ( severe constant migraines that left me bed-bound for months and unable to exercise for a couple of years). I have never been this large before, and I think that might be responsible for the fact I am so hot at night now.

.Poppy.
23-12-16, 01:37
Thanks to you both :) I'm not super drenched, I just feel damp and of course am smelly, which isn't fun and isn't like me at all! I've gotten sweaty before sleeping in sleeping bags, but that makes sense.

I guess it's odd because even now under a blanket I feel like I'm going to sweat but I don't feel overly hot if that makes sense?

Ah well, I'll just keep an eye on it and see. Maybe it's because we've been having some odd weather. I've had drainage going on for like a month now (no sore throat, just nasal drip) so if that doesn't clear up in a couple of weeks I may ask my doc; if the sweating is still an issue I can bring it up then.

cattia
23-12-16, 09:37
I've had this problem for years, in fact I have had a few blood tests for it. I figured out that for me, it is related to hormones and tends to happen in the week or so before my period. I also find that sleeping in thicker clothes actually helps, because I don't pull the covers up under my chin to keep warm and I therefore don't sweat as much.

GadGirl
23-12-16, 10:30
I have been having this problem for about a year now, I have had blood test all good results. DR says mine is down to high anxiety and insomnia

Munchlet
23-12-16, 13:02
I have this from time to time but as someone else said mine normally occurs in the build up to my period.

Can I ask how old you are it's just I remember my mum saying when she was in her 40's most nights she had to sleep with no covers on because she used to wake up drenched in sweat and for her it was just the joys of heading towards the menopause.

As others have said some people do just naturally get hotter at night I can't sleep to close to my hubby as it's like sleeping next to a radiator and he frequently has night sweats but nothing is amiss.

Take care

.Poppy.
23-12-16, 16:33
I'm 25, so hopefully it's not menopause!

Good to know others deal with it as well :)

It may actually be hormone-related as I am on my period (sorry if that's TMI) for the second time this month because I majorly messed up and missed birth control pills and then am now going through the sugar-pill week.

swgrl09
23-12-16, 18:49
I get these a lot more often if I'm on an antidepressant ... they can cause sweating oddly enough. Also being run down, stressed, etc.

.Poppy.
10-05-17, 15:23
I just thought I'd post a little update in case anyone ever stumbles across this thread :)

I still get the night sweats occasionally, but I've figured out the cause: super-vivid dreams. So no more worries! Turns out it's just a side effect of a side effect of my antidepressant. Still super annoying, but not scary, so all is well. :)

HopelessWorrier2011
10-05-17, 16:16
I have suffered with this for 10 years and I'm drenched to the point I have to strip off and put a towel under me. I've had numerous tests all been fine x

MyNameIsTerry
11-05-17, 00:39
I just thought I'd post a little update in case anyone ever stumbles across this thread :)

I still get the night sweats occasionally, but I've figured out the cause: super-vivid dreams. So no more worries! Turns out it's just a side effect of a side effect of my antidepressant. Still super annoying, but not scary, so all is well. :)

I get that too. Often I can wake with strained breathing too.

It's just like when you wake from nightmares. Tossing & turning and then you wake up.