PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety, Holidays and my latest worry...

SadguyFL
22-12-16, 22:44
I keep having anxiety over this dry cough I've had for several months. I went to an ENT and he thinks either allergies or Lisinipril I'm taking. So my cardiologist changed the medicine. But I've been on lisinipril for years (the ent said it could still happen). I felt relieved for a while but now I'm back to thinking I have throats cancer. Even though I've never smoked. This tickle in my throat and dry cough have me going crazy. Plus the added stress of the holidays. I want to just crawl into bed and not come out again. I'm already on an SSRI for the anxiety which has helped me. But when it gets this bad only xanax relaxes me for a while. I keep thinking this is my last holiday with family.

Gary A
22-12-16, 22:55
Throat cancer almost never presents with a cough.

If you haven't ever smoked and you're generally in good health otherwise, your ENT is probably right. Allergies and certain types of medication can certainly cause prolonged bouts of coughing.

If it continues then see your doctor again, but I would chalk this up to being an annoyance rather than a death sentence.

Fishmanpa
22-12-16, 23:33
I'm a H&N cancer survivor. Gary is right. That's not how it presents itself at all. Have faith in what the ENT told you. You can erase that thought from your mind I assure you!

Positive thoughts

NancyW
22-12-16, 23:41
The medication you're taking is an ace inhibitor.

My poor mom coughed her head off for months before her dr agreed to take her off of it.

He blamed it on springtime allergies, her new carpet, her imagination. Grrrrr

He even gave her allergy shots and an inhaler.

IT WAS THE ACE INHIBITOR. We knew it was, I can't tell you how frustrating this whole fiasco was.

Then my aunt started coughing. .. sure enough, her dr had recently put her on an ace inhibitor.

Just so you know... it took a long time after they stopped taking it for the cough to calm down.

AnxietyKillinMe
23-12-16, 00:11
As an RN I'm CONFIDENT that it's your ACE inhibitor medication (lisinopril) very common side effect. Add that with possible allergies and yea, for sure that's it. No doubt in my mind. Ppl have to stop taking their ACE's all the time for that reason, insanely common.

SadguyFL
23-12-16, 15:59
Thank you all for the kind words. You know how it goes - you get caught in this cycle of worry and anxiety and depression. I just hate myself right now. Being so upset and anxious during the holidays that it's starting to affect those around me. My fear has always been rooted in thinking I won't be around for my family. It started almost 20 years ago with a health scare and endless tests and after that my anxiety took root. I only sought help about 1.5 years ago when I hit rock bottom and ended up in the hospital several times with nothing found. I still don't have a good counselor, but I am on meds. I've just never had this tickle in my throat at night and dry cough before and my mind is telling me it could be dry air in my house (I keep the house very very cold at night around 68 degrees), and it's drying my throat and causing me to cough because it gets irritated. then my anxiety kicks in and the cough turns into a chest thing - OMG cancer of the lungs. Cancer of the throat. Snowball effect... downhill. Mornings are always the worst. I'm so sad.

Fishmanpa
23-12-16, 16:26
(I keep the house very very cold at night around 68 degrees)

68? Heck... We keep our place at 65-66 and dress warm :D

Positive thoughts

SadguyFL
24-12-16, 17:17
Wishing everyone a happy holiday season. I wish my health anxiety was better under control so I could really enjoy it.

AnxietyKillinMe
24-12-16, 17:32
That's how I feel too, I feel like the holidays have been ruined. This has been one of the worst times of my life to say the least, you're not alone in feeling that way. I hope we can all find some peace of mind very soon and rise above our anxieties.

SadguyFL
03-01-17, 21:56
So I was doing OK of a few days here and there but now I'm back into full panic mode and thinking I have throat cancer. The more anxious I get the more I'm coughing. I know someone who had throat cancer and they were only a few years older than me and I'm in my early 40s. I wasn't able to fully enjoy the holidays and I don't know what to do. This itchy throat and cough is driving me crazy. Actually the worry over them is driving me crazy.

emmegee
03-01-17, 22:05
I know someone who had throat cancer and they were only a few years older than me and I'm in my early 40s.

Which is exactly why your mind went directly to this as a diagnosis. This is exactly what I do... latch onto a disease that someone close has/had.

I know how debilitating this feeling is. :bighug1:

SadguyFL
03-01-17, 23:32
Which is exactly why your mind went directly to this as a diagnosis. This is exactly what I do... latch onto a disease that someone close has/had.

I know how debilitating this feeling is. :bighug1:

I have gotten some help through medication but sometimes this is unbearable. Nobody understands except those of us that go through it. And what's worse EVERY time I think to myself "well I've been lucky until now, but THIS time it's for real." And then I hear or see someone make an off the cuff comment about cancer or something related and I think - wow this is a sign. Makes no sense but when you're in the middle of it, it all seems rational.

Fishmanpa
03-01-17, 23:40
Makes no sense but when you're in the middle of it, it all seems rational.

The real question is: When you read your thread back, does it seem rational to you? Because I can tell you from an outside perspective it truly doesn't.

Positive thoughts

SadguyFL
03-01-17, 23:50
The real question is: When you read your thread back, does it seem rational to you? Because I can tell you from an outside perspective it truly doesn't.

Positive thoughts

I honestly don't know. :weep:

Fishmanpa
03-01-17, 23:55
I honestly don't know. :weep:

Then I suggest you seek professional help for your anxiety.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

SadguyFL
04-01-17, 02:54
Then I suggest you seek professional help for your anxiety.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

Ok

GlassPinata
04-01-17, 02:59
So I was doing OK of a few days here and there but now I'm back into full panic mode and thinking I have throat cancer. The more anxious I get the more I'm coughing. I know someone who had throat cancer and they were only a few years older than me and I'm in my early 40s. I wasn't able to fully enjoy the holidays and I don't know what to do. This itchy throat and cough is driving me crazy. Actually the worry over them is driving me crazy.

I don't think those are the symptoms of throat cancer.
/Searches quickly.
It looks like "difficulty swallowing" and "voice changes" are usually the first symptoms.
(this is NOT to say that if you have a hoarse voice because of your coughing and sore throat, you have cancer! Everybody gets that sometimes).

worriermama
04-01-17, 03:32
Hi there. I totally understand about health anxiety over the holidays. It's such a horrible feeling. I'm in the same boat this year. I've been in a panic and for a few days I could barely even look at my precious children (two toddlers) because I felt like I would burst into tears or die of sadness at the thought of them having to grow up without a mother. SO dramatic!

Anyway it sounds to me like you have the reason for your cough all figured out. Do you think the stress of the holidays could perhaps be exacerbating your anxiety though? It's a strange time of year and tends to bring out some intense emotions.

Best of luck to you and try not to worry -- I am not remotely concerned for you.