PDA

View Full Version : Mole has changed, worry it is too late

lef93
22-12-16, 23:40
I have a small mole on my rib cage; I have been sunburnt a couple of times that I remember but this area has never been exposed to the sun. I am 23 and last got burnt well over 5 years ago, since then I am very thorough with suncream.

At the beginning of October I noticed my rib cage itched. When I looked at the mole it was slightly raised in the centre. I believe beforehand it was slightly raised as a whole mole and not partially. It looked like a spot would other than it was the colour of the mole. It is raised but soft and gives way if touched. If it is looked at very closely the borders are slightly faint now and not completely symmetrical although also not blatantly mismatched. Under a strong light there seems to be a slight mix of tan-medium brown colours, but mostly normal brown. It is probably nearly the size of a pencil eraser but slightly smaller. It feels smooth and doesn't scab up...but what worries me the most is it has a tendency to catch and rub against my clothing and sting very frequently. Initially when the mole changed I was wearing a jumper and the material gave my arm eczema, so I wondered if it had irritated the mole too, however I am unsure that 3 months later it would still be catching on things if this was the case. I have looked at it and there are a couple of hairs on the edge of the mole, which I hear tends to mean (although not always) that it is healthy.

I must admit however, that since it is on my rib cage it is difficult to see, and I do have a habit of pinching my skin very hard each day to look at it and check it isn't changing. Could that keep it irritated?

Since October the mole has not changed anymore, it has stayed the same size and colour. I didn't go to the doctors straight away as I wondered if it was a spot, and then I wondered if I would just be considered a hypochondriac so thought I better wait. Problem is that now I am worried that if it is something bad I have waited too late! I am going to try and set up an appointment in January because I hear that sometimes if it is normal it can just be removed anyway...but I am just full with worry and its distracting me, I keep imagining worst case scenarios like what if it has spread and stuff :weep:

Catherine S
22-12-16, 23:48
Doctors will always check out a mole and they never consider this a waste of time at all, so I would say pay your doctor a visit. Its not really possible for anybody other than a doctor to tell you if it's ok or not to be honest.

ISB x