PDA

View Full Version : Slightly different fecking top tooth worried about potential abcess

Lockey1995
23-12-16, 00:56
Hey,

Never fecking ends on my break at work today when I cheered on some squashes sweets it hurt a bit on my top left back molar not on soft foods it's not sensitive to cold or hot but when I push it with my thumb hurts a tiny bit not incredibly noticeable but now I'm worried it could be a possible abcess.

As far as I'm aware I don't think there is any decay on it shined my phone light and got the mirror out looks the same but in my anxiety I have missed the odd night brushing can decay happen that quickly also can you get an abcess without decay ?.

Also there has been a little bit of blood I've seen twice this week when I spit toothpaste out seems to happen on a night rather than the day time.

I'm just scared it could be abcess starting up and it'll get worse I hate dentists :(.

Gary A
23-12-16, 01:03
I'm not trying to be rude here, but what exactly is it that you want anyone to say in response to that?

You have a sore tooth. For goodness sake, why is that an issue? Not many people like dentists, but they're a necessary part of your healthcare.

In any case, I really don't see why this needs a new thread. :shrug:

Lockey1995
23-12-16, 01:12
I'm not trying to be rude here, but what exactly is it that you want anyone to say in response to that?

You have a sore tooth. For goodness sake, why is that an issue? Not many people like dentists, but they're a necessary part of your healthcare.

In any case, I really don't see why this needs a new thread. :shrug:

Just worried it might be an abcess starting :(

Fishmanpa
23-12-16, 01:19
I Am in cbt going to group sessions in the new year :)

What does your CBT therapist think about you posting on an anxiety forum?

Positive thoughts

Gary A
23-12-16, 01:21
Just worried it might be an abcess starting :(

And...what? What can anyone here do or say about that?

Again, this isn't me being rude or whatever, I'm just being blunt. If you have an abscess, then you've got something that the vast majority of the population have had.

It's a bit painful and trips to the dentist aren't exactly anyone's idea of fun, but seriously, why all the melodrama over something like this? Why a thread on an anxiety forum just to tell people that you're worried you might have a dental abscess?

You need to stop this, you really do. Your reassurance seeking is now at a pretty ridiculous stage. You claim to be in therapy but you fail to even attempt to adhere to the most basic rules of fighting anxiety, one of which is to stop seeking reassurance about every cough, fart and twinge.

BikerMatt
23-12-16, 01:36
[QUOTE=Gary A;1626541]

You have a sore tooth. For goodness sake, why is that an issue?

Because Lockey suffers from anxiety!
Maybe his anxiety has lead to a massive dental phobia?
It's 2 days until Christmas and tooth trouble would be a pain in the ar*e!

As you said to Lockey I'm going to say to you. I'm not trying to be rude here, but if you can't offer a sympathetic answer don't respond to the thread, simple!

Fishmanpa
23-12-16, 02:01
The question is: Does tea and sympathy really help or is it enabling and coddling? I tend to lean toward reality. It's a sore tooth that hurts "a little bit" when pressed on. A couple of days aren't going to be fatal.

The OP has a history of extreme irrationality and reassurance hasn't been effective. I'm still waiting on a answer to the question I've asked three times!

Positive thoughts

BikerMatt
23-12-16, 02:34
The question is: Does tea and sympathy really help or is it enabling and coddling? I tend to lean toward reality. It's a sore tooth that hurts "a little bit" when pressed on. A couple of days aren't going to be fatal.

The OP has a history of extreme irrationality and reassurance hasn't been effective. I'm still waiting on a answer to the question I've asked three times!

Positive thoughts

I understand that but as we all know anxiety is totally irrational as you've said. The certain post that ruffled my feathers was a little harshly worded and unnecessary for my liking.

---------- Post added at 02:34 ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 ----------

Lockey, you can actually sprain a tooth biting something hard which will settle in a couple of weeks. You may have I little bit of gum disease so make sure you brush and floss the area. I doubt forgetting to brush a couple of times would cause much damage.

Gary A
23-12-16, 02:42
[QUOTE=Gary A;1626541]

You have a sore tooth. For goodness sake, why is that an issue?

Because Lockey suffers from anxiety!
Maybe his anxiety has lead to a massive dental phobia?
It's 2 days until Christmas and tooth trouble would be a pain in the ar*e!

As you said to Lockey I'm going to say to you. I'm not trying to be rude here, but if you can't offer a sympathetic answer don't respond to the thread, simple!

So I can't respond unless you approve of how I do it? Good luck with that one.

I'm trying to get this poster to stop reassurance seeking by being curt. Reassurance seeking is a huge part of the anxiety cycle, this poster is knee deep in it and clearly not for budging. "Sympathetic" answers have been tried, he's just as bad, if not worse, than he was.

You keep feeding the cycle though, that's great "help" right there.

And just to add, I still don't see why it's an issue. It might be an issue to the OP, but surely the whole point of this board is to try and show people that what they think are major issues, are actually normal things? I think it's rather defeatist to just say "well, that's anxiety for ya", and just allow the poster to wallow in their percieved concerns.

BikerMatt
23-12-16, 03:09
[QUOTE=BikerMatt;1626546]

So I can't respond unless you approve of how I do it? Good luck with that one.

I'm trying to get this poster to stop reassurance seeking by being curt. Reassurance seeking is a huge part of the anxiety cycle, this poster is knee deep in it and clearly not for budging. "Sympathetic" answers have been tried, he's just as bad, if not worse, than he was.

You keep feeding the cycle though, that's great "help" right there.

Well I certainly will never approve of the manner and wording of your posts NO never! You just post however you like "And what...." "Why all the melodrama" "For goodness sake"
I could go on but I can't be arsed.

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 ----------

[QUOTE=BikerMatt;1626546]

And just to add, I still don't see why it's an issue. It might be an issue to the OP, but surely the whole point of this board is to try and show people that what they think are major issues, are actually normal things? I think it's rather defeatist to just say "well, that's anxiety for ya", and just allow the poster to wallow in their percieved concerns.

Ways of wording things Gary.

Gary A
23-12-16, 03:11
[QUOTE=Gary A;1626555]

Well I certainly will never approve of the manner and wording of your posts NO never! You just post however you like "And what...." "Why all the melodrama" "For goodness sake"
I could go on but I can't be arsed.

Can I? Well thanks, now that I've got your permission to post how I like I won't lose sleep. That's a relief.

As I said, I'm trying to show him how irrational he's being. Why would you be melodramatic about a slightly sore tooth? Anxiety is obviously causing it, yes, so fight the damn thing rather than giving the fear credit by treating it as a legitimate concern. It's not a legitimate concern, it's a minor annoyance that happens to everyone. What is wrong with pointing that out?

My ways of wording things might not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least I'm trying to break this persons reassurance seeking cycle, I'm not merely feeding it then somehow claiming the moral high ground.

Josh1234
23-12-16, 05:18
Lockey, ask your doctor to up your anxiety medication. You're falling off the deep end here, mate.