PDA

View Full Version : Zopiclone withdrawal?

Karen
10-04-07, 15:33
Hi All

I have been taking Zopiclone regularly for getting on for 2 years I think. At first I found the 7.5mg dose beneficial, but ignoring my doctor's advice :blush: to only use the medication 2-3 times a week at most I soon found my body had developed tolerance for this dose and so I doubled it.

Now, I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to do what I did next because believe me I am now in a worse state than ever, but over the following months I increased the dose more and more because the pills were not helping much at the normal dose any longer.

When I was in hospital the doctor cut my dose to 3.75mg at first and I had 2 weeks when I didn't sleep at all and finally it was increased back to 7.5mg, which helped to a degree but I still didn't sleep much as I'd be abusing it so much at home.

Finally the psychiatrist at the eating disorder unit wanted me off the Zopiclone and to put me on Zispin (a tricyclic antidepressant) instread. However, I read the side effects and researched experiences of others on this medication and discovered weight gain and increased appetite were very likely. So, I refused the Zispin and they stopped my Zopiclone and I experienced severe insomnia again.

As soon as I got home I started taking it again.

Now I am at the stage where even the high dose I take (don't ask where I get it) only gives me 2 hours sleep at most and I want to be able to get off it completely. However, my other mental and physical health issues mean I don't want to be awake 24 hours a day.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions to make withdrawal easier. I cannot cope with the insomnia but I cannot live on Zopiclone for the rest of my life. I have even resorted recently to taking different sleep medication on top of the Zopiclone.

Has anyone managed to successfully withdraw from Zopiclone and if so do you sleep for a decent number of hours now?

Thanks for reading this far and for any suggestions. I have already searched for previous posts but couldn't find any with my particular circumstances.

Karen

nomorepanic
10-04-07, 18:23
Hi Karen

Did you mean to close this thread?

nomorepanic
10-04-07, 18:35
Re-opened for you now mate.

People can reply now.

Karen
10-04-07, 18:36
Thanks Nic :flowers:

Karen xx

Jimbo
10-04-07, 19:09
I have a similar story Karen.

I've been taking 7.5mgs a night for the last 8 months. Without my doc telling me, I was taking 2 per night at one point. She didn't seem too concerned about it, but after a recent od, I now only get prescribed 7 per week. :mad:

They do allow me to get some sleep as compared to none, but I haven't had a proper full nights sleep without waking up for months.

I know at some point I'm going to have to stop taking them as they don't really help much any more. But not looking forward to that either. :sad:

From what I've read the withdrawal isn't too bad compared to some other sleeping tablets like benzos, but I can imagine not getting much sleep for a few weeks till the withdrawal eases. I guess the best way would be to slowly reduce the dose.

Jim

jo61
10-04-07, 19:49
HI Karen, I took zopiclone on and off for a couple of years. I've always found when my anxiety is high I don't sleep. When it's under control I do. Not sure what this means but suspect that if you deal with other issues the insomnia will pass. Easy to say I know. I'm also on Zispin. It does tend to increase appetite at first but when it settles down it's just a damned good antidepressant with a sedative which really helps me. Good luck in whatever you decide

Karen
11-04-07, 00:19
Thanks Jim and Jo

Jim - I too think cutting down is probably the most sensible way but I cannot cope with the reality of getting no sleep at the moment with too many other problems to deal with.

Jo - I have suffered with insomnia for several years and it is a well known side effect of anorexia. I put up with hardly any sleep for many months before finally taking sleeping pills but I've needed to gradually increase the dose in order to get any sleep at all.

I'm also on Zispin. It does tend to increase appetite at first but when it settles down it's just a damned good antidepressant with a sedative which really helps me.
When I was in hospital on an eating disorder unit the psychiatrist wanted me to swap Zopiclone for Zispin but I was very suspicious when I read a very common side effect is increased appetite and weight gain - too much coincidence when being treated for anorexia. So I refused and don't want to risk anything that will cause weight gain.

I cannot keep increasing the dose of Zopiclone I take either though. It is a big dilemma :shrug:

Karen x

Krakers
11-04-07, 07:00
Can't give much advice on getting off em, as I've only recently been introduced to them (6 weeks). I have a sleep disorder that is so unpredicatable its unreal. I took 2 Zops night before last and slept for 17 hours. Took 2 last night and was awake in 5 hours - hence me sat here typing now.

As far as I understand it Zopiclone has a very short half life and is more to get you off to sleep than keep you asleep. I have been known to take 2 (7.5mg) wake up 4 hours later and tak another 2. Now thats not what the docs recomend or intended (and if I told him I'd probably be in big trouble). Anywas my point is its better to do that than go taking a huge handful of these pills hoping they'll put you out for the night - they won't.

What worked extremely successfully for me in the past was Tempazepam (a Benzo). Not only does it let you drift off to sleep, but it keeps you asleep for 8 - 12ish hours (depending on how quickly your body eliminates it).

They are only a short term solution though, as usually after around 4 weeks, a tollerence builds and they just stop working - yes like any Benzo they are addictive too. My initial dose was 20mg which worked like a charm. I was on them for 3 months, and when I went back to see my doc in month 4 asked him not to prescribe again for now tyvm. I'd upped my dose as high as 80mg myself and just wasn't getting the same initial effect. I came off of them with no side effects at all.

My sleep is still all over the place, but I'm trying to get it back to normal. It all went haywire when I was prescribed a high dose of Mitrazapine which kept me asleep for 17 hours a day. Worked well as an anxiolytic, but didn't give me a normal life.

Hopefully the zops and a proper bedtime routine might help me get this sorted (fingers crossed).

One thing I will say about zops though is I've had 2 different types from chemists. Not sure if its just me, but the little round one with the deep scores in them don't seem a patch on the rugby ball shaped ones. I know they're meant to be the same, but last time I was given the round ones by the chemist I made a fuss and got the rugby ball shaped ones instead.

Krakers.

Stephanie
15-08-07, 09:45
I'm absolutely terrified of becoming addicted to my sleeping pills, Zopiclone and although I've been on them in the past and come off them after 6-7 weeks, by gradually reducing the dose. I've been on them for 5 weeks now continuously. I had managed to ge down to 1/4 of a tablet a night but then had a huge panic when i didn't take any the other night and took 4 last night with no effect! Now I'm scared I'm back at square one. Please give me advice and tell me these pills aren't that bad.

Jimbo
15-08-07, 11:21
It's interesting this thread has come up again as I think I'm having a problem with zopiclone again.

I took it solidly every night 7.5mgs and occasionally 15mgs for many months. Eventually as you guys found, I became tolerant to them quite quickly and they weren't really helping me sleep.

I then started another medication Quetiapine, which is an anti-psychotic. It has sedative properties and I found that they initially helped me sleep very well so I didn't take the zopiclone. I was absolutely fine and didn't have any problems stopping suddenly at all.

Slowly the sedative side effects of the quetiapine have worn off and I started taking the occasional 7.5mgs again. Probably 1 every 2-3 days. And occasionally 15mgs.

I've now gone onto another AD Trazodone, which has sedative side effects. I stopped taking the zopiclone and after a week my anxiety and panic suddenly went into overdrive. I didn't initially associate this with the zopiclone, but it makes sense. :shrug: The doc has suggested taking a small dose occasionally to wean myself off them.

I also wonder how you others are getting on with them now? Karen I especially wonder for you as 15mgs is the maximum dose and I know you were taking more and more. The side effects of zopiclone are mainly memory loss and fluid retention, etc. Even at 15mgs I have trouble passing urine the next day and remember absolutely nothing of the night if I am awake. I know these are some of your probs Karen, I wondered if you are still taking them?

Also Krakers, how's things going for you?

Jim:hugs:

Karen
15-08-07, 18:39
Hi Jim

I do still take them but I'm a bit naughty and don't 'officially' take them. They don't work in normal doses anymore and I'd advise anyone prescribed this medication to follow their doctor's advice and take the medication only when needed and a maximum of about 3 times a week or it seems the body becomes used to them and they stop working.

I didn't listen and now if I don't take excessive doses I don't sleep at all so I'm trapped in a vicious cycle.

Karen

Jimbo
15-08-07, 20:52
I really think this is something you should think about coming off of.

I have a feeling that they are causing you more problems than they are solving.

As you say the viscous circle of taking sleeping tablets is hard to break once you are there. But it is possible. I would go and be honest to your doc and ask for help.

margaret911
15-08-07, 22:24
Hi Karen I too was on zopiclone then my physchiatrist prescribed me an anti physchotic called olanzapine which helps me sleep. A side effect of olanzapine is increased appetite but that has not happened to me and i too have issues with food. I no longer need zopiclone.

love Mags xxx

Karen
15-08-07, 23:57
Thanks Jim. Yes, I should have this discussion with my doctor. She wouldn't be surprised but I'm not sure where we have left to go with this discussion really. She doesn't want me taking any sleep medication and I can't cope with the insomnia.

Mags - Thanks for that suggestion. I've talked to my GP and when I was in hospital the psychiatrist suggested different medication that had increased appetite as side effects and I'm afraid I won't touch anything like that. When it comes down to it the eating disorder wins out and I won't touch anything that might mean I'll gain weight.

I do need to get off the Zopiclone. I know I do but I'm not quite sure how right now. I can't deal with insomnia on top of everything else.

Karen xx

Stephanie
16-08-07, 07:22
Karen
I'm sure your GP will be supportive, do it gradually, are you taking any other medication or getting other treatment for your other issues?

I'm getting myself worked up about the zopiclone. Last nigt took two then two hours later two two again. I'm so frusrated because last week I'd weaned myself down to the tiniest crumb. (Practically off them) Then had another attack and reached straight for them. Had a rough couple of days. Doctor told me not to worry- that the anxiety will pass and I will be able to wean myself off again- Doctor said- you are ot addicted- someone addicted would not be able to go down to 1/8th, your anxiety just needs to settle. but I can't help but stress about it. I am taking antidepressants- just have to believe that they will start working.

Jimbo
16-08-07, 11:50
I understand how you must feel Karen.

I smoke like a chimney and am totally and truly addicted to nicotine. I've smoked for 10 years. Giving up is a thought that I find very hard to think about. It must be similar for you.

Firstly, there are some massive benefits about speaking to your doc. Firstly, it will probably save you a fortune, getting this med isn't cheap without a prescription. Unless you are getting this from a UK pharmacy, god knows how they were made and what else is in the tablets and what damage they are doing to you. Internet pharmacies probably fund terrorism, crime, slavery and lots of god awful things.

Secondly, it can't hurt to give something else a try. I truly believe your 'sleep eating' and the memory loss of this is being caused by this med. Surely stopping those 2 things alone would be a massive benefit to you?

Just because a med has increased appetite as a side effect, that may not necessarily happen for you. Most of them also have decreased appetite as a side effect too. Even if it did increase your appetite, that does not mean you will gain weight. These are 2 different things.

I'm trying out Trazodone at the moment, it is sometimes used to help people when withdrawing from opiates like heroin and codeine. It could help you to at least reduce the zopiclone to a dose where it's not causing this memory loss and fluid retention that you are getting.

lilibet
16-08-07, 16:23
Dear All

Over the years i have taken Zopicolone at various dosages. It was a wonderful feeling when I was first prescribed them as to sleep well was fantastic. But like things do, i soon had to take more and more to get a good nights sleep. The thing that helped me to try and stop them was the fact that I went along to a turning point meeting with a friend who needed support as her son was using heroin, and I was amazed to be introduced to a woman whos husband was hooked on zopicolone and the withdrawal was worse than heroin. I soon weened myself off them, but I would and have used them since on an occasional basis.

I am sleeping well at the moment with the help of quetapine which is prescribed to me for ocd, it does help me drift off, but hand on heart, i have to say that sleep deprivation is terrible. My poor husband only gets 4 hours a night!

I recently read an article about a lady who commited an armed robbery in her sleep so it just shows that there is a problem with sleep disorders and more research needs to go into it.

Thinking of you as always

Lilibet x

John C
17-08-07, 11:07
I've been on Zopiclone for 3 years now and feel totally dependent on them. Over the last year I've been trying to reduce the dose rather than come of them - trying to manage without them seems a bit scary! I've managed to come down from an initial 15mg dose down to 7.5 and now down to 3.75 (except on occasional really bad days). Sleep isn't great, but at least it's tolerable.

I'm not sure I could have managed this on Zopiclone alone - I'm also taking Cipralex and Olanzapine for depression and anxiety. There are many times I've felt far too anxious to sleep and would have upped the dose again, but have been able to balance it by increasing the Olanzapine for the anxiety instead - it seemed the lesser of two evils. If your not taking anything else it might be worth discussing complementary medicines with your doc.

Half the problem with a combination of meds is that they all interact so it's not straightforward just reducing one. I've been reluctant to trust the doctors with this as I've had bad advice in the past (not that I would recommend not trusting them - I think it's just a personal problem - I get a little paranoid as well). At least there seems to be plenty of info on the web to help you try and work it out for yourself.

John

Karen
17-08-07, 16:55
Sleep disorders are a big problem. I am so anxious about what I might do when asleep - ie sleepwalking and sleep eating.

I recently read an article about a lady who commited an armed robbery in her sleep so it just shows that there is a problem with sleep disorders and more research needs to go into it.
That's a terrifying thought :eek:

Jim - I won't take any medication that even mentions the possibility of causing increased appetite or weight gain. I can't even contemplate it due to my eating disorder. I'm already at the highest end of the weight scale for me and feel so fat that I am desperate to lose weight. I can't risk gaining more.

And there is also nothing worse then not being able to sleep too so I feel trapped.

Karen

Jimbo
19-08-07, 10:46
I'm at my wits end with sleep at the moment. I find myself slowly turning back to zopiclone regularly.

I've just been reading up and apparently there is a new version of Zopiclone that came out about a year ago. There's virtually nothing about it on NMP and I've never heard it mentioned before.

Eszopiclone (Lunesta), apparently it's a slightly different version of Zopiclone that is licenced for long term use and has less negative side effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunesta

There's only a couple of comments about it on NMP and I can't find much info on it.

Might be worth asking the doc about if it's considered safe in long term use also has no weight gain listed or fluid retention as a side effect. So might be worth thinking about Karen?

I'm going to start a thread on this and see if anyone replies.

Karen
19-08-07, 20:58
Thanks for that information Jim.

I might ask my doctor about Lunesta as I'm still having problems sleeping and I'd rather be taking something that's prescribed if my doctor is willing to give me something. I beat myself up so much that I've ended up dependent on buying sleeping pills. I feel so worthless. I hate myself so much.

I hope your doctor can help you and you find something to resolve your insomnia.

Karen xx

joy
19-08-07, 21:29
So Jim the Trazadone isnt doing it for you? Didnt for me either

Love Joy

Jimbo
19-08-07, 21:40
Nope Joy, the Trazodone worked for about 2 days, now it's doing absolutely nothing for me.

john123
01-06-08, 11:54
I know this sounds strange, but i think it's a great feeling coming off them via cold turkey, also you can feel all your senses coming back which were smothered for so long by the zopiclone and also get really vivid dreams and go through a whole roller coaster of emotions, which if you just embrace rather than panic over, are actually quite fun.
If you are really determined to come off these then you will be able to do it.
It's not anywhere near as hard (if you're determined and really want to come off them) as some people try and make it out to be, nor is it dangerous as many docters have no problems making people withdraw this way.
Just make sure you do it at a time when you have a few days were you are not doing anything, so you can get over the worst of it on your own in the house.
I thought it was a wonderful feeling (was on two 7.5 mg tablets a day for years), just watch a few movies (you'll enjoy them better as the zopiclone's/zimmovane dampen down your brain activity and you can feel all this coming back) and have a few cups of tea etc and after the first few days the worst will be over.
It's the way you think about it is the key, just embrace all the withdrawal symptoms and look on them as the nasty zopiclone finally getting flushed out of your system once and for all.
Oh, and don't read all the horror stories and threads on the internet when you are withdrawing cold turkey, reading all that stuff will just make you wanna give up, reading comments like that is extremely detrimental to your efforts, just do it and don't look back.

ijustagirl
27-08-09, 11:19
im on trazadone 150mg and zopiclone each night and i still cant sleep, the doctor wont up my dose as she says the trazadone will help..hmmmmmm...i hope we all find something that would help us sleep ...mine is pts and pain which causes insomnia..hope things improve for you

dyluk
22-09-09, 17:10
I have been on zopiclone 15mg every night with 2mg loratemazepam and 100mg nozinan, and also sometimes they swap me over to zolpidem 10mg when zopiclone doesnt work. i have schizophrenia so it used to help me get some rest from voices 24/7. I used to be on anti pyschotics and anti depressants also which caused me alot of weight gain. I stopped them 4 months ago, with only minor side effects. I am struggling for the last 8 days as the zopiclone isnt working anymore. So i resorted to drinking every night which seems to knock me out a bit, but gaining weight and feel crap all day long.
Whenever I have tried to come off zopiclone before,I went 8 days with no sleep and ended up suicidal in A&E and cutting my arms to pieces.
I have lost 2 stone, but the drink will gain weight and also drain me so I am in a cycle that I really want to get out of.
My doctor is really crap and gives me no support, my psychiatrist prescribes the drugs to keep me stable- which up until 8 days ago I was pretty much and started college. Now I am in a right mess again and at a a loss.
I have had drug and drink addictions in the past and I know sleeping pills are the same- just cant seem to cope with no sleep.
I was told that it can take up to 4 months of feeling really rough coming off them, by another pyschiatrist at a detox clinic, so am debating to just do that and try and get off them.
Will let you know- I suffer from eating problems too, anxiety, PTSD, voices,self harming,paranoia and bad thought patterns so I think they will just probably amplify with withdrawl....and hopefully they will pass

AlexD
02-04-13, 06:28
Triptophan is meant to help you sleep. It is a mineral

Ibelieveinfairies
15-05-13, 03:39
Hi, I am new to the site- I registered because of your story below.
I really know what you're going through. My insomnia started a year ago due to a flare up of depression and anxiety. I tried zopiclone, zolpidem and temazepam but my symptoms were so bad that I was completely resistant to them. I wrnt for about 8weeks getting 1-2hrs sleep a night and it started to consume me. I tried all the over the counter remedies, homeopathy...you name it. After a few weeks being on an antidepressant, I trialled zopiclone again and this time I managed to get a few hours sleep a night.
After a while, I built up a resistance and so was started on quetiapine...I was so desperate to sleep that I agreed and that night, took a tablet and woke up 14hours. I was elated and thought my problem was sorted! But after six months of suffering with a dry mouth, palpitations, dry skin, constipation, muscle jerks and weight gain of 4stone! I decided to come off them because they were doing more harm than good. I weaned off them, whilst taking 7.5mg zopiclone/night - I was feeling amazing...more energy, motivation, the weight was beginning to come off...but then when I withdrew the quetiapine fully I suffered with nausea, headache and sickness, as well as itching all over, for 5 days!
I am now back on zopiclone, after having to wean off quetiapine a bit more slowly but seem completely resistant to it.
I understand your concerns about taking tablets for sleep that may cause weight - I had them too because I have an eating disorder too. It definitely solved sleep but has given me more problems than I started with.
Sleep is the one thing I want to sort. I am now trying hypnotherapy - it's very good for teaching relaxation techniques.
In my professional and personal experiences - I think the insnia is generally linked to underlying problems -anxiety and depression for me...but could've anything for others...stress, eating disorder etc.
The thing that worries me is that going to bed has now become a MASSIVE issue for me - will I sleep?won't I? I get stressed about it before even going to bed and I think that it a large part of my insomnia too.
My plan is to carry on the hypnotherapy, stick to the zopiclone for now and gradually taper my dose.
It's easy to feel like you are out of options - but as a dr, I know there are different medications to try, different combinations...tailored for you.
I have only fallen asleep in the past year with no medication on three occasions -for 2hrs each time. But those 2hrs were more refreshing than 12hpurs from zopiclone or quetiapine.
So, I am staying positive and really believe that one night, when I least expect it, I will sleep. Because I'm sure as hell not going to live like this for the rest of my life!!!
I hope there was something helpful in there? It is nice to know other people are going through the same thing. If you have read this, thank you. Feels better to get it off my chest x

---------- Post added at 03:39 ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 ----------

Hey,
I posted some stuff below. New to this.
I just checked and lunesta (eszopiclone) is not licenced in the uk to prescribe xx

Jford41
16-05-13, 08:58
Hi I was on zopiclone and I was taking over 100 a month.
I was slurring my words, it's almost like a date rape drug cause the
next day I did not remember a thing. They would say what I did and
said and I point blank said no way but later I slowly remembered. My
case was a bit worse, I became so addicted I started taking during days.
I am now on diazepam to take over I had to put myself in rehab went through he'll
had a relapse recently but am on track again and am slowly getting better. Am also
on methadone so mine was severe but I'm getting there. Don't help that you
can buy it from quite a few places so be strong (easier said then done) but write me and
I'll help you through it :) hopefully it's sorted now though. :)

susanblack
10-07-13, 14:18
I took zopiclone sleeping tablets for 6 nights.

2 weeks after taking them I'm still suffering with rebound insomnia, is this usual and how long could this last?

SarahH
10-07-13, 14:43
Hi
I have been taking Zopliclone every night for 14 years (yep you read right!).
I started on 7.5mgs on and off in 1997. It was then prescribed as the non-addictive alternative to Temazepam. We now know this is a pile of doo doo. Gradually over the years and a couple of major anxiety breakdowns I ended up taking 2-3 tablets (7.5mgs) a night to get sleep.
I was told I was not "addicted" but "dependent" on Zopliclone as I did not use it in the day but needed more and more to sleep.
However before Xmas last year I spoke to a Mental Health Prescribing Nurse whole told me the anxiety I felt building up each day was withdrawal symptoms of Zopliclone. So I became determined to reduce my Zopliclone.
I now take one tablet a night (7.5mgs). I suspect the withdrawing from the drug caused my anxiety to peak and I did end up being prescribed Pregabalin for anxiety which has a side effect of somnolence (result:D ).

Hope that helps

Sarah

susanblack
11-07-13, 12:45
omg 14 years that's incredible!!!

I was told zopiclone should not be taken more then 4 weeks

thx for sharing your experience ;)

have a great day!

Zophead
24-07-13, 23:04
I agree, I find the oval tablets more effective than the round ones. I'm grappling with this, Zopiclone, my latest addiction. When I don't take them get crippling anxiety/feel doomed. Have to order them online as docs won't prescribe for me anymore. Have been told I could be taking anything from baking powder to rat poison.

susanblack
26-12-13, 13:44
Hi again

I'm not on Zopiclone any more, I simply don't need it. But I have to say it was a great help. My sleep cycle is back to normal now and I can have a full night sleep which is so great!!!

If anyone in need of Zopiclone I can recommend you <link removed>

lucky58
07-02-15, 14:17
I have been on Zopiclone for over 1 year and like some of you have said, it only helped me sleep for couple of hours and then I would be awake , tossing and turning...then I would find myself taking another pill around 3 am....2 months ago my doctor told me to take 2 at bedtime...so I did and after a while same thing again...only sleeping couple of hours. I then starting increasing again myself during the night and sometimes, I'd forget how many I had taken :( !! 3 nights ago, after realizing that I had no idea how many pills I had taken and was really confused that day, and forgetful, ....I decided to stop taking the pill, cold turkey!! I have been experiencing alot of anxiety , headaches, nausia, and NO sleep!!! I haven't called my doctor , and don't want to take any more meds, but because of my severe pain,...I need something to help me sleep, or pain gets worst :( !! Any one have any suggestions?? I need to get some sleep and need this headache and sick feeling gone!!

Pete_uk
08-02-15, 11:28
After ten years I'm off of them. I do feel they will be needed again sometime but I am enjoying the natural sleep i'm getting.

Peter_Billy
18-12-15, 02:59
Hello everyone, I have found reading your posts very helping in gaining knowledge of how to withdraw.

I was drugged with LSD and raped in May. The whole ordeal destroyed me. I am a Professor, 31 years old, and came to Canada just for 1 years, and leave back to the UK next week, hence why I want to withdraw.

I was given Trazodone at first, for 2 weeks, then they put me on Trazodone to help with anxiety and panic attacks that began after the incident in May, because I did not sleep for 4 days after. Then they put me on Lorazepam, which is perhaps the most evil drug invented. It calmed my anxiety completely, but after a while I started needing more for it to work. I was taking it for 3 months, when finally my new doctor indicated I should never have been on it for this long. I got signed off work, and I tapered off over 3 weeks. It was probably the most scariest event in my life. I would never advise taking this.

In order to taper off, I will given a small dose of Zopiclone (3.75 mg). It works, and I slept much better. I am anxious all day still, but I don't want to take any more medications. Now however, like some of you have said, when I take it, I feel like all the anxiety goes away. I also do a lot of OCD in the day and am paranoid of being attacked again. But gradually life is getting better.

I have tried tapering off Zopiclone, but nights I don't take it, I have the worse nightmares, and wake up feeling very anxious. Some nights I go to half my dose, but normally wake up after 3 hours. Other nights I don't take it, but I feel I have to have a case of beer instead, which is not good, just to calm my nerves. It feels like I will be on this drug forever. Now it has started affecting my life. My head feels very foggy in the day, and I shake a lot. Not great for a fit and healthy man, and also wrecking my career. I ended up quitting my job last week because I could not handle all the meetings and teaching we have to do.

I'm scared it will never get better. I am taking 1 month prescription back to England, but when that runs out, I don't know what I will do.

Any help would be very appreciated. You are all very kind on this website.

Thanks, Billy

SADnomore
19-12-15, 00:29
As much as I myself hated to realize it ... yes, yes, they are that bad. After 6 years (complete with memory loss and worsened depression, another s/e) on them, I withdrew with the help of Trazodone. ... I did take two of those once and slept next day til noon! No problem just going to one next day. With lots of patience and slow progressive relaxation exercises, I have been able to drift off to sleep on my own, once I had been switched to the traz for a few weeks.
Good luck!

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Peter Billy, I am so sorry for what has happened to you here. I wish you well as you return to the UK. My hope is for your sleep to resolve and for you to be able to safely withdraw from zopiclone once home.
Marie

MyNameIsTerry
19-12-15, 05:37
Peter Billy, welcome to NMP :welcome:

That is an awful experience and you must have been through so much.

I was on Zopiclone for a month due to difficulty starting Citalopram and how it gavce me bad insomnia where I would be lucky to sleep for an hour. It did help at first but after a week or so I slept less on it and it would take me hours to recover upon waking. It was if I would get 6 hours sleep but the drug wanted me to have 12. I could barely eat until I felt it wearing off.

A month on it daily and my GP said he couldn't prescribe any more so gave me 7 days to wean off. I had become tolerant to it in that time and not realised as I knew nothing back then. I had to spend about a week and a half using a "night on, night off" protocol which the crisis team nurses said I should have used anyway (which my GP never advised!). I had the same issue with sleeping when taking it and then not sleepling at all or maybe for an hour. This did get better by the end of the week and by the time I stopped I was getting maybe 5 hours so I could on it from there.

You've become tolerant to one Benzo and now you are having issues with a Z drug. I think when you get back you need to talk to a GP about all this and come up with a safe plan of withdrawal and maybe even something else to help with your anxiety that can be taken daily such as a SSRI or maybe a sleep inducing med like the Traz or maybe things like Mirtazapine but this is really something for your GP to decide on.

Are you getting any therapy? That would seem the most important to deal with your anxiety as I'm guessing it will be PTSD? The OCD type behaviours can be seen in any anxiety/panic disorder, OCD is only diagnosed when it is sufficient enough to affect your life since OCD traits are seen in many people without anxiety disorders at all.

I hope you get the support you need. Getting you on a Benzo for 3 months is disgraceful and something only specialists should be doing where it is warranted but they will also manage you back off the stuff afterwards"