PDA

View Full Version : Hey Google thanks a lot you son of a heartless goat.

saf138
24-12-16, 13:04
Hi all.
So for the last 3 weeks ive been waking up on and off with a nose bleed from the left nostril so I go to see doc which he had a look up there and mentioned that I have a nose polyp now I knew I always had something up there ever since I was kid and it never caused any concern I had googled nasal polyps and found that they are common and benign and since I've had it from childhood I wasn't too fussed.
He didn't think that was the cause for the bleeding but most probably burst blood vessels and prescribed a nasal spray and told me to keep an eye on it.
I have now noticed the blood is actually coming from the polyp itself and where it was on and off it has now got to the stage that if I put tissue up there it always has blood on it no matter what time off the day it is. So stupidly I googled my symptoms and there it was "if bleeding occurs it could mean the polyp is cancerous" I'm just so damn confused right now that my anxiety is in overdrive.
Has anyone else ever experienced Such a thing?
Many thanks.

Catherine S
24-12-16, 13:23
Dr.Google's favourite word is cancer. Polyps are just benign fluid filled growths and can be found in different places in our body. My brother has rectal polyps that bleed and has them treated once or twice a year because his grow back. Its also common to have polyps in the womb which also bleed, making menstruation heavier than normal, but none of them are cancerous. It must be a pain in the backside to keep getting nose bleeds from yours.

Nasal polyps can be treated with a steroid spray at home...Perhaps this is what your doctor gave you? Perhaps have another chat with your doctor or even a pharmacist about the best way to shrink it yourself. Surgery is an option to remove them if they are really bothersome, but that's obviously more invasive and no guarantee that they wouldn't grow back.

ISB

saf138
24-12-16, 13:38
Dr.Google's favourite word is cancer. Polyps are just benign fluid filled growths and can be found in different places in our body. My brother has rectal polyps that bleed and has them treated once or twice a year because his grow back. Its also common to have polyps in the womb which also bleed, making menstruation heavier than normal, but none of them are cancerous. It must be a pain in the backside to keep getting nose bleeds from yours.

Nasal polyps can be treated with a steroid spray at home...Perhaps this is what your doctor gave you? Perhaps have another chat with your doctor or even a pharmacist about the best way to shrink it yourself. Surgery is an option to remove them if they are really bothersome, but that's obviously more invasive and no guarantee that they wouldn't grow back.

ISB

Hay thanks for the reply sorry to hear your brother has to go through that I just wish I hadn't googled the symptoms I have been using the steroid spray which my doc prescribed but the bleeding is now continuous that I've stopped the spray due to it possibly making matters worse idk.

Catherine S
24-12-16, 13:58
Are you sure its the polyp that's bleeding and not the broken blood vessels your doc mentioned? My daughter took a bash on her nose some years ago in a gym class that weakened the blood vessels in one nostril, and left her prone to nose bleeds from that nostril ever since. She ended up having the vessels cauterised and has been fine since. It's just a bummer that you have this over Christmas weekend when the doctors are closed. But try to plug your nostril as best you can if the bleeding carries on, then go back to your doctor when they're open again and just have him check out for sure whether it definitely is the polyp bleeding. Please try not to worry, and please don't Google if you're tempted to.

ISB x

saf138
24-12-16, 14:43
That is why I'm so confused I've never been a sufferer of nose bleeds in the past but since I've been having the nose bleeds I've kept a close eye on it now the polyp isn't too far up the nasal and big enough to almost block the passage I just always thought it was how my nose was made up. So I can honestly say I'm 100% sure its from the polyp because once I've cleaned up the nostril I take a look up there with a mirror and light and I can see blood slowly seaping out of the polyp. I've even tried coating it with oil to moisten it thinking the dry air was causing it to crack but that didn't work at all. I thank you for the kind words it means a lot.