PDA

View Full Version : Slower than usual resting heart rate

Billserk
24-12-16, 20:52
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. For the past month or two I've been so fixated on my heart rate because there have been nights where I've dropped down to 49 bpm just before bed. This freaks me out, so I what I do is I sometimes walk up and down my staircase to see if my pulse goes higher; which is does by an additional 5-15bmp.

Some other things though I should add. I did lose about 30lbs (13.6 kg) of weight even though I've felt I've done nothing much to lose that much in 4 - 5 months. I've also stopped caffeine because apparently it's causing too much of my GAD to trigger.

I am by all means no athlete nor do I exercise regularly, but I look up my heart rate online and it says I have an athletes heart. The most I usually do is walk around for 30 minutes or more a day just to try to keep my mind off of things.

I just got prescribed Buspar this week as well, but this is the second day I'm taking it and it seems to also enhance my anxiety while causing some other off-putting symptoms.

Anyways, this is whats happening and I am trying to not think too much about it.

Fishmanpa
24-12-16, 21:06
That's not an unusual resting heart rate at all. Be thankful it's the rate of an athlete even though you don't work out regularly.

Concerning Buspar? I've used it on occasion and a couple of doses is too soon to assess a reaction. I would say that's more of a psychological response as opposed to a reaction from the med. I found it took about a week before I felt any results and basically it was just a more "chill" feeling. It's a non-SSRI and doesn't have the same side effects as many anti-anxiety meds.

Positive thoughts

Billserk
24-12-16, 21:21
That's not an unusual resting heart rate at all. Be thankful it's the rate of an athlete even though you don't work out regularly.

Concerning Buspar? I've used it on occasion and a couple of doses is too soon to assess a reaction. I would say that's more of a psychological response as opposed to a reaction from the med. I found it took about a week before I felt any results and basically it was just a more "chill" feeling. It's a non-SSRI and doesn't have the same side effects as many anti-anxiety meds.

Positive thoughts

Thank you so much, you don't know how much your reassurance means to me. :D

Ethansmom
24-12-16, 21:49
I am having the same issue. Periods of heart rate in the 50's. Are you using a fit bit to measure your heart rate?

bin tenn
25-12-16, 00:35
Eh, I'm not athletic by any means. I do walk every day now, but not vigorous cardio or anything. But Fitbit (I take it with a grain of salt) shows routine drops to low 50's while I sleep. Thursday while in a meeting it actually showed 53 BPM, and I was wide awake. Resting HR tends to be mid 60s to low 70s.

DizzyH
04-02-17, 14:13
My Fitbit shows that my heart rate drops as low as 42 beats per minute while I'm sleeping and the gym I go to told me my resting heart rate is 52 bmp