PDA

View Full Version : Scared about what I'm feeling

Hypomean
25-12-16, 01:52
The other day I had choked on my saliva and I still have the irritated feeling in my throat. Like the tickle. And at times I can't really breath because I feel like I'll choke on the saliva. And for a few breaths afterwards they feel smothered. I cough and my cough sounds congested. But two coughs and that's it. I don't like the constant tickle in my throat. It gives me anxiety.
It sucks because I just got over a big hill for worrying about my heart.
Should I be concerned?

Fishmanpa
25-12-16, 01:55
I remember your posts from AZ...

No, you're creating mountains out of mole hills.

Positive thoughts

Hypomean
25-12-16, 02:04
I remember your posts from AZ...

No, you're creating mountains out of mole hills.

Positive thoughts

I know that fishmanpa.
And trust me, it's something I really hate about my anxiety. It's illogical stuff and I know it is but my mind throws it out of proportion and into make believe status.

Catherine S
25-12-16, 04:36
What I don't get, is that so many of you say you realise it's only anxiety, and you've just said that you know its your mind throwing things out of proportion. ...yet you still ask if its anything to worry about! Also, ex members coming here from AZ are thrilled to have a whole new audience to reassure them all over again, but watch out because there are also members like Fishmanpa who know many of you already :D

ISB

bin tenn
25-12-16, 18:29
What I don't get, is that so many of you say you realise it's only anxiety, and you've just said that you know its your mind throwing things out of proportion. ...yet you still ask if its anything to worry about! Also, ex members coming here from AZ are thrilled to have a whole new audience to reassure them all over again, but watch out because there are also members like Fishmanpa who know many of you already :D

ISB

I have been thinking the same. The influx of AZ members here is great for them, because the audience here mostly don't know their background.

To fishmanpa's point, these are indeed the same worries you had from AZ, hypo. Same worries from AZ, and you've had the same kind of worries for a long time over there as well. :(

Hypomean
27-12-16, 11:40

ISB

The best thing I can describe it it it's a loop for me: Is it real? .....Nah you are fine it's just your mind... but what if it's something????.... my issue from the beginning is gauging what is an emergency. My therapist wasn't much help in that area. She was not experienced in health anxiety or she didn't get the idea as to why there is such a thing. When I told I just don't know when it's a real health concern she said "then go to your doctor" but at the same time she told me to stop going for the reassurance that I was seeking that I needed to see for myself that some stuff it's just your body experiencing normal aches and pains. Getting "the tough love" is something that we all need here. Fishmanpa and few others are great at it and have helped straighten my thoughts.
But the loop is what caves me and brings me here.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

I have been thinking the same. The influx of AZ members here is great for them, because the audience here mostly don't know their background.

To fishmanpa's point, these are indeed the same worries you had from AZ, hypo. Same worries from AZ, and you've had the same kind of worries for a long time over there as well. :(

So just cause this is a new site I should have different worries?? Dunno that's how your point comes across.

Throat, heart, and odd body sensations. Are my kryptonite. I repeately said that.
It's a constant for me. I've been able to beat my DVT fears, I'm proud of that. Everything else is just my OCD that brings back to it.

And at times I'm afraid to post, because I know how bad it sounds, but I need to know if other HA sufferers think like that? If they do go in a loop. Or it's a constant fear?

emmegee
27-12-16, 16:07
What I don't get, is that so many of you say you realise it's only anxiety, and you've just said that you know its your mind throwing things out of proportion. ...yet you still ask if its anything to worry about!
ISB

That is the tricky way our minds seem to work. There is the logical mindset which believes one thing, and the emotional mind (usually driven by fear) that believes another thing. Many of us with health anxiety have this battle going on in our minds on a daily basis. It's a very frustrating mindset to be in and leads to constant questions like: "am I going crazy?", "is something really wrong?". It is a constant self-propelling cycle that leaves us searching for help. It is emotionally exhausting.

Fishmanpa
27-12-16, 16:25
So just cause this is a new site I should have different worries??

I don't think that's what Binn means. This goes for everyone when I say this...

There has to come a time when you either decide to take steps to help yourself or resign yourself to always be struggling and posting on a forum. Notice I say "a" forum. What site it is doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, there are some that have been here for years and will be for years to come and there are some that have worked their asses off and are in recovery. One such member just posted in "Misc" and is leaving the site. Look back at her history and you'll see she was in a bad place for a while.

Yes, I was part of AZ for a while but I left when it became apparent that it was a site more about tea and sympathy and enabling. The admins didn't take kindly to tough love as evidenced by what happened to Leroy and a few others that told it like it was.

IMO, the purpose of a site like this is to offer an understanding ear but at the same time it also should challenge the posters to take the steps toward recovery. Hopefully, in coming here, you along with all the members of NMP and AZ refugees can find a way to the healing path.

My daughter, who suffers from anxiety and depression has done that and graduated college last week! Believe me, he had a hell of a time too! I saw first hand how crippling it was for her but I also saw first hand what hard work and persistence can do in recovering from mental illness.

Positive thoughts

Magic
27-12-16, 16:42
I choke a lot. It's painful and embarrassing. Did it in when we were taken to a Posh eating place 23rd December. The kind waitress brought me water. Thank goodness took me ages to get back to normal. I don't think I have anything wrong with my throat, I just put it down to me being nervous.

Hypomean
27-12-16, 18:13
That is the tricky way our minds seem to work. There is the logical mindset which believes one thing, and the emotional mind (usually driven by fear) that believes another thing. Many of us with health anxiety have this battle going on in our minds on a daily basis. It's a very frustrating mindset to be in and leads to constant questions like: "am I going crazy?", "is something really wrong?". It is a constant self-propelling cycle that leaves us searching for help. It is emotionally exhausting.

thank you Emmegee.
This is exactly what I was trying to get across. It's one of the things I was working on when I stopped going to the therapist (it got expensive towards the end). I had told my therapist how I'm in a struggle in a loop. And I just couldn't brake out of it. Finally after some time, when I'm emotionexhausted, i till myself I'm fine. But why only when I've drained my self?? I was suppose to stop it in it tracks, the worry. But for me it escalates quickly and bad.

Hypomean
28-12-16, 02:29

There has to come a time when you either decide to take steps to help yourself or resign yourself to always be struggling and posting on a forum. Notice I say "a" forum. What site it is doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, there are some that have been here for years and will be for years to come and there are some that have worked their asses off and are in recovery. One such member just posted in "Misc" and is leaving the site. Look back at her history and you'll see she was in a bad place for a while.

Yes, I was part of AZ for a while but I left when it became apparent that it was a site more about tea and sympathy and enabling. The admins didn't take kindly to tough love as evidenced by what happened to Leroy and a few others that told it like it was.

IMO, the purpose of a site like this is to offer an understanding ear but at the same time it also should challenge the posters to take the steps toward recovery. Hopefully, in coming here, you along with all the members of NMP and AZ refugees can find a way to the healing path.

My daughter, who suffers from anxiety and depression has done that and graduated college last week! Believe me, he had a hell of a time too! I saw first hand how crippling it was for her but I also saw first hand what hard work and persistence can do in recovering from mental illness.

Positive thoughts

I took the steps to get better and I fall back.
I agree that we do need a push in the right direction and no sugar coating should be done about it. Some of us take longer to get there. We get there; it's just not at a pace that it seems you want us to get ahold of.

I'm glad your daughter is having a better time getting ahold of her anxiety and depression. And congratulations that she graduated and made it, I do know of a few people who couldn't take it and had to drop out of school or work, so that is a major accomplishment. I bet that also she over came it with having you as a great support system.
Some of us here this is our only support system, and we at times might crave a bit of reassurance. It's sad and not ideal but what brings us here. And I shouldn't really say we cause I can't speak for others but it's at least were I come from.

swajj
28-12-16, 03:11
Great post Fish. Hypomean you really shouldn't stop therapy until your therapist thinks you are ready. What you will do here is state your fears and symptoms related to whatever illness you fear at the time. You will receive advice, empathy and reassurance from others here because they have or are having similar experiences. But we are limited in what we can offer you. We certainly can't pick up where your therapist left off. I was in therapy for nearly 2 years. Each individual is different and there are different levels of severity when it comes to HA. My first experience of HA was much shorter than my second. I saw the same psychiatrist. However I only required therapy for less than 6 months the first time. It was many years until I experienced HA again. Both times my psych told me when he thought I was ready to stop therapy. I understand that it can be costly but you need to find away to return to therapy. NMP is a great site but you will never reach the point where you are in control of your HA if you rely solely on the often great advice you receive here.

bin tenn
28-12-16, 04:23

Positive thoughts

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Sorry it wasn't clear from the jump.