PDA

View Full Version : New here...

Lam123
25-12-16, 14:04
Good Morning everyone,

Merry Christmas! I woke up this morning feeling great for many reasons, until I felt a swollen lymph node in my armpit. It moves around a bit and isn't painful. Obviously I'm worried about this and it has caused all kinds of anxiety feelings. Has anyone had this happen? Not sure when or if I should go to the dr. I'm not sick and have no infection.

Rey1989
25-12-16, 15:03
I get them from time to time, often with no apparent reason. They always go back to normal eventually. If its there in 2-3 weeks, then maybe go to the dr. I wouldn't worry.

Rey

Lam123
25-12-16, 18:01
Has a dr ever told you why they swell? I haven't heard of them swelling for no reason.

bin tenn
25-12-16, 18:31
Nodes can swell for a vast number of reasons. Infection is a common reason, although it is far from being the ONLY reason. Did you know that something as simple as a minor cut/scrape (such as from shaving), or even a pimple, can cause it? It happens. It means the node is reacting as it's meant to.

How "swollen" is it? Many people seem to believe they have swollen nodes when the nodes are in fact not swollen at all, clinically.

Lam123
25-12-16, 18:57
It's not huge. I have to feel around a bit for it.

Lam123
26-12-16, 12:45
Anyone else have swollen nodes and the reason why they were swollen?

Sphincterclench
26-12-16, 18:12
everyone will be able to answer this. The reasons are as many as you can think of and of that huge number of reasons a few will be anything scary.

I get them on my jawline a lot, I have a few bad teeth and gingivitis, UTIs and the nodes in the groin swell. for women who shave their underarms, nicks and cuts can cause it.

rest easy....Im sure your fine.

Fishmanpa
26-12-16, 18:44
Also consider the fact that it may not be swollen at all. What we perceive and the reality are often two different things. I'd place money on the fact that some self-checking poking and podding was involved and if one does so, they will often find a node. Who's to say if it's "swollen"? Nodes can vary from a grain of rice to close to 2cm and still be normal. Perhaps that's the way it always was and it was only just discovered by the self-examination. Poking and prodding can and does make a node swell too.

I know about swollen nodes being a cancer survivor. I certainly didn't have to go looking for them as it was quite obvious.

Keep your hands away from your pits and I'm sure all will be well :)

Positive thoughts

Lam123
27-12-16, 00:00
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the support and advice.

Lam123
27-12-16, 15:37
I guess I find it so hard to stay calm and I actually find situations like this make it hard for me to live happily and be patient and wait to see a dr. Does it affect anyone like this? It absolutely makes me want to lay in bed and cry till I see the dr. I won't be able to see the dr for a week or two, I know if I go now he will say wait a few weeks and if it's still there then come back. I guess this time it's really bothering me because I have no infection, no shaving, I'm not sick, last time I was sick was mid November. So I really can't think of any reason. This one node that I feel is pretty close to the skin, or at least that's how it feels to me. Oh the waiting game.

Anka
27-12-16, 15:45
Hi there.Ages ago I felt the lumps moving under my armpit.Went to the doctor and she said they are lymph nodes and this is how they are.May be you just never noticed them.If it stands out and not painful wait for 2 weeks and if it is still there go to doctor.If it hurts or tender to touch it could just be the beginning of a cold.But I certainly wouldn't worry too much.

Lam123
27-12-16, 16:23
When I first felt it on Sunday morning it seemed to be deeper and difficult to find, now starting last night it has come right to the skin level.

Anka
27-12-16, 19:00
This definitely sounds like a lymph node reaction to cold or infection.Don't worry as it wouldn't be changing so quickly if it was cancerous.X

Lam123
29-12-16, 02:44
Hi everyone, just an update, so this morning I did a quick feel and couldn't feel anything, so I promised myself I would leave it alone. So, I felt just now (I know, broke my promise to myself), and can feel it again. Ugh! Just when I thought it was gone. Any thoughts? or advice?

Lam123
29-12-16, 12:24
I hope to be able to wait a few weeks to see dr.

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

I can't sleep, eat or enjoy myself.

SwedishGirl
01-01-17, 16:46
I have exactly the same thing in my right armpit. I noticed mine 6 weeks ago and went to the doctor after two weeks. He felt it and said that it seemed like a slightly swollen lymph node but that it was probably nothing to worry about. He told me to come back in January if I could still feel it and then he would order an ultrasound.

Mine seems to come and go as you describe which I see as a positive sign.

I have an appointment on 18th January.

Lam123
02-01-17, 00:11
Mine has disappeared. I have a dr appt for my yearly physical so if it comes back or swells again I will mention it at the appt.