PDA

View Full Version : Just how much can a brain CT see?

Wilburis
25-12-16, 15:56
Hello

Ive posted many times now about my different sized pupils.

It's ruined my Christmas I just cannot stop thinking about it.

Ive been to A&E and the opticians and they both said that as the pupil are reacting as they should, theres no problem.

I cannot stop thinking Ive got a brain tumour, third nerve palsy, Horners syndrome, etc.

Ive paid for a private CT scan, which was normal.

My asked my GP if my fear of a brain tumour could be put to bed now as it was clear. He told me they can miss things........

Should I ask for an MRI?

Everytime i walk past the mirror, I look at it.

So, what can an MRI see that a CT scan cannot.

Do I go back to my GP or see an optician?

Thank you xx

ServerError
25-12-16, 15:59
Sounds like your GP needs a crash course in talking to the well-but-anxious.

All tests can potentially miss things, even an MRI. Doctors are human - they can make mistakes.

But the tests and the doctors are still the best we have, and they rarely miss a brain tumour. Time to start dealing with the anxiety.

AnxietyKillinMe
25-12-16, 16:10
I have different sized pupils too and so does my now ex wife. It's common. Unless your one pupil is very small and the other is the size of a dime then it's probably just the normal difference. If your pupils are reacting to light appropriately and by that I mean at all then there's no reason to worry. CT's can miss tumors, sure but it's unlikely. And if Ct missed a tumor it wouldn't be because the doctor reading it just missed it, it would just have to be insanely small to the point where it wouldn't be causing problems like that anyway. Some ppl with brain tumors don't even know it and the people who do finally know it are the people who have tumors the size of god knows what that could never be missed by the reading doctor unless they were looking at it with their eyes closed. You're fine, I've worried about this too and I've had both a brain Ct and brain MRI in part for the reason of my pupils being off and there's nothing there, all clear. I've been to the eye doctor who didn't even notice what I was talking about. If it's off it's probably by a tiny bit and I think a 1-2mm difference in pupils is common among ppl some ppl just never notice because they don't look. Difference in pupil size wouldn't be a diagnostic thing anyway you'd have to have all kinds of weird crap going on with it. It's fine. It's normal. You're good.

Wilburis
25-12-16, 16:16
Thank you guys

:hugs:

Lissa101
25-12-16, 16:28
I have different sized pupils too! The optician measured them, confirmed that the size is asymmetric but said they are well within the normal range of asymmetry. Thankfully this was enough to end the obsession for me.

You sound very healthy, although I know that probably doesn't make you feel better. I hope it will fade away for you like it did for me x

Fishmanpa
25-12-16, 16:29
So, what can an MRI see that a CT scan cannot.

I answered that in your previous thread (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=192449) about this.

Reassurance is not helping as your repeated posts indicate. Personally, I feel you should accept this as normal for you and move on but do what you feel you need to do.

Positive thoughts

Wilburis
25-12-16, 16:32
Thank you Lissa.

Fishmanpa, I know what you say it right, but I just cannot accept it x

randomforeigner
25-12-16, 16:39
I have it too. I'd rather I hadn't had it but it's not something that can change so accepting it is the only option left... :)

Lissa101
25-12-16, 16:50
If you think about it Lizzie, it would be weirder if our bodies were perfectly symmetrical and we were all like some kind of geometric object. Lots of thing about us are not symmetrical, you're just worried about your eyes because they are connected to your brain. But evens brains don't have perfect matching symmetry between left and right halves. Its a perfectly normal feature of human anatomy x

Wilburis
25-12-16, 16:57
Hi Lissa

You are totally correct, I am worried because of my brain.

xx