PDA

View Full Version : Terrified about my mom

ivan94ts
26-12-16, 17:18
I'm a huge hypochondriac, but now I'm not sure if I'm projecting my owns issues on my mother. Why? I think she might have Alzheimer's.

She's 42, which I know is below the usual age for AD, but I'm still scared I can barely function.

Things I've noticed (Pros) :
- She often forgets questions she was just about to ask. Literally in seconds.
- She repeats stories she already told me.
- I made her one of those tests you find online about dementia. First she draw the clock incorrectly(not that bad), but she quickly fixed it. AND of the three words she had to remember, she could only recall one of them.
- She forgets minor things that I've told her.

(Cons):
- She's 42.
- She does have a very good memory for dates and names, better than mine.
- She's often aware of this things.

So I don't know what to think. I'm having constant panic attacks because of the worries. Thing is, I also share some memory issues with her, and I'm only 22. Could it be the stress/depression? She has an incredibly stressful job were they treat her like crap, a boyfriend whom she's ALWAYS fighting with, and an ungrateful c*nt for a daughter. She deals with those things everyday, maybe is that.

Any advice. This is lowest I've felt with my health anxiety, and it's not even about me!

Lissa101
26-12-16, 17:54
I think the points you raised in your last paragraph might explain why she doesn't have a super sharp memory. I can't remember things or concentrate when I'm distracted with lots of troubles.

Maybe try and change tact, instead of worrying could you use that energy to encourage and support her to make some positive changes in her life? X

randomforeigner
26-12-16, 18:04
She has an incredibly stressful job were they treat her like crap
That's enough to make anyone feel stressed out and starting to have all sorts of symptoms. Why not change job, if possible?

About telling the same things multiple times, this could be form having too little happening in one's life. You either have to tell the same thing all over again, or be silent, which also might be awkward.

ivan94ts
26-12-16, 19:00
Thank you both so much for your replies. It really does help to calm me down and put things in perspective.