PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 Problems

Bigboyuk
27-12-16, 11:30
Hi All now for some tech help I need! I recently bought a Pc in the form of a compute stick (Intel) 32 bit device It's pretty cool and does what a pc would do. Here's the current problem I was prompted that new updates to the OS and security side of the pc was available so last night before going to bed
I clicked Download New updates progress bar on screen so left it on over night got up this morning and no progress had been made and downloads had failed?? checked the tech support number which is on my computer so I know it was a genuine contact number for Microsoft called them and they were helpful but didn't resolve the problem they with my permission took over my device and ran some tests for 40 mins and on screen it said resolving problems the operator said some thing was wrong and they have escalated it to level 2 support but what can level 2 support do that level 1 couldn't do to fix the problem so I can download these new important updates any ideas please thanks :)

randomforeigner
27-12-16, 12:43
If there are many updates you could try to update them manually one after another, they might be blocking each other so that it starts with one that requires yet another and not yet installed change. Seem to recognise this from back when I used 8 or 8.1. I usually try to Google on some important part of the error message, there's always someone somewhere who has had that very problem (that's also why I prefer to run my software in English and not my mother tongue, the Google effect, more people post about their issues in English so there's a greater pool of search results to choose from. Same with articles about psychology btw.)

Bigboyuk
27-12-16, 12:50
If there are many updates you could try to update them manually one after another, they might be blocking each other so that it starts with one that requires yet another and not yet installed change. Seem to recognise this from back when I used 8 or 8.1. I usually try to Google on some important part of the error message, there's alwaus someone somewhere who has had that very problem (that's also why I prefer to run my software in English and not my mother tongue, the Google effect, more people post about their issues in English so there's a greater pool of search results to choose from.)Hi think there was around 176MB ao quite big and most of them was security updates which are very important to keep hackers etc at bay :) The telephone agent said it could have been a corrupted update file which does make sense so well see what level 2 support does tomorrow before I do anything else. Just wondering though I have installed 360 security which is multi OS and platform, so not just for Android devices but Pc's too could this be stopping the updates going through??
Thanks for your reply :)

mezzaninedoor
27-12-16, 13:51
cant comment on 8 or 8.1
but Ive found Windows 10 pretty good

seasonal greetings

Bigboyuk
27-12-16, 14:01
cant comment on 8 or 8.1
but Ive found Windows 10 pretty good

seasonal greetings Yeah while it's a different version the updates still have to be downloaded and installed. Would you say it's not the device at fault then but a external problem?? Had heard about windows 10 not being that good though! my device is 32 bit and was told that windows 8.1 is still being supported for another 4 years at least :) Thanks for your replies

randomforeigner
27-12-16, 14:51
Had it been my machine I would have tried installing the KB's one by one starting with the oldest, but then I'm an accountant (sort of) and not an IT technician... As for people answering those help desks, ever since one suggested I'd disconnect the antivirus program and firewall, I'm highly sceptical to advice given by some disengaged call center person, and like to double-check for myself, if I can.Why would an update from Microsoft be corrupted? That's pretty illogical. Can hardly hurt to install one by one, instead of all in one big go.

Bigboyuk
27-12-16, 15:38
Had it been my machine I would have tried installing the KB's one by one starting with the oldest, but then I'm an accountant (sort of) and not an IT technician... As for people answering those help desks, ever since one suggested I'd disconnect the antivirus program and firewall, I'm highly sceptical to advice given by some disengaged call center person, and like to double-check for myself, if I can.Why would an update from Microsoft be corrupted? That's pretty illogical. Can hardly hurt to install one by one, instead of all in one big go. Hmm I am thinking could it be a memory problem not enough space to accept the new downloads I mean they have to be stored on the device some where?? But would the new versions simply erase the old ones freeing up space?

The corrupt file(s) question was my question and yes the agent said it's possible which I think it can I mean some one has to write the new code which is probably checked several times before it goes on to the server, but even so mistakes in the code can still happen, just because it's come from Microsoft doesn't mean every single update file is going to be spot on human errors do happen!! The other problem I get a lot of (probably a OS problem) is some times on valid web pages or email pages I will refresh the browser and I get a message saying the web page cant be displayed please refresh your browser or check the spelling of the page is correct or click here to fix connection problems so what's causing this my internet connection is fine so it cant be that! Thanks for your reply :) Cheers

Noivous
27-12-16, 17:00
Try doing just 2 or 3 updates at a time. And I only do important updates to my computer.

N.

Bigboyuk
27-12-16, 17:52
Try doing just 2 or 3 updates at a time. And I only do important updates to my computer.

N.That maybe the way forward if level 2 support who is calling me tomorrow doesn't sort the problem out. And yes I only do important updates no office stuff etc and the most important boxes are already been ticked automatically the ones that aren't ticked stay like that thanks :)

MyNameIsTerry
28-12-16, 04:36
Level 2 will just be better skilled people who have more time. The first level act as the sieve.

A corrupted file is unlikely due to incorrect coding by them, bare in mind you could be one of hundreds of millions of downloads. Someone writing the code wrong would cause a major problem for that update and besides, that's what testing is there for.

It could be that it has become corrupted when downloading, opening at your side, etc. It just means you try to install again or download & try again.

As for updates failing, it's happened to me on every computer I've ever owned on every operating system I've ever been on (Microsoft). It's very common.

It's usually easy enough to rollback to a previous restore point and download again.

Check how much memory you have. If you have a partitioned drive, check the partitions too. That level of MB is not much these days. If you couldn't download that, your memory would be seriously maxed out on any computer.

As long as you have installed the right Norton product for your O/S, it won't cause a problem.

I just let my devices do their own updating. Always have. You can see Ant failures and click on them individually to try again anyway.

randomforeigner
28-12-16, 06:05
Don't forget to tell us how the problem was resolved! Now we're several people waiting eagerly and excitedly to hear you tell us about how the issue was finally resolved... :)

Bigboyuk
28-12-16, 10:31
Level 2 will just be better skilled people who have more time. The first level act as the sieve.

A corrupted file is unlikely due to incorrect coding by them, bare in mind you could be one of hundreds of millions of downloads. Someone writing the code wrong would cause a major problem for that update and besides, that's what testing is there for.

It could be that it has become corrupted when downloading, opening at your side, etc. It just means you try to install again or download & try again.

As for updates failing, it's happened to me on every computer I've ever owned on every operating system I've ever been on (Microsoft). It's very common.

It's usually easy enough to rollback to a previous restore point and download again.

Check how much memory you have. If you have a partitioned drive, check the partitions too. That level of MB is not much these days. If you couldn't download that, your memory would be seriously maxed out on any computer.

As long as you have installed the right Norton product for your O/S, it won't cause a problem.

I just let my devices do their own updating. Always have. You can see Ant failures and click on them individually to try again anyway. Hi Terry thanks for your reply! The agent said it happens quite a lot too! Tell you what it's a completely different beast to Android OS and so much to learn LOL have I got enough memory to take it all in LOL! When you mention a partitioned drive (are you talking about a external drive?) as I haven't bought a drive or memory card for it yet and how do you check the partitions this is a bit over my head LOL as for updating this is what I did too but glad I checked what went through and what didn't! I don't have Norton installed but have downloaded 360 Security and have it one my phone too (for over 6 months)
as it's multi Platform and OS obviously a lot more on the Pc version, could this be the reason why some of the update files didn't download/install?
Many thanks again :) Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Don't forget to tell us how the problem was resolved! Now we're several people waiting eagerly and excitedly to hear you tell us about how the issue was finally resolved... :) Hey I wont forget :) Havent been called yet?? There's a 2 hr window (no pun intended) from Microsoft Cheers

Bigboyuk
28-12-16, 16:36
They called me but had to tell them I was on my way to work so they said no problem and I said to call me at 10 am tomorrow they said yes no problem so they seem to promise to call you back. Think I have a dodgy USB power lead cause the pc every so often keeps going off ( I hope it's not the mini USB skt on the device though!) cause if I unplug the lead and bend it near the mini USB plug it connects again so seems like a invisible break in the wire maybe that's why some of my updates had failed in the past! Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-16, 06:16
It may just download the packet it needs for your operating system when it updates your 360 thing. I assumed it was Norton 360 as that was the name of one of their products.

Even if it downloaded them all, computers check which updates are compatible to install anyway so I can't see a multi platform product being an issue. If it were, they would have problems with anyone buying it so it would be a major product design issue.

Partitioned drives just show up as more than one. So, for a hard drive you will see one drive in My Computer (or the equivalent to that menu) but when you partition got create extra ones and the overall storage memory gets split between them. Some laptop manufacturers do this and create a small partition just for something specific that you wouldn't normally touch.

Yes, if you left it downloading but the power ran out before it finished, this would stop the download and may cause a corruption. It may just restart the download from where it stopped but it could also just fail. You can always manually download anyway by checking for updates.

Can you test that cable in anything else to prove it's just the cable? Or test another cable in that USB port to check that for problems to rule it out?

Bigboyuk
29-12-16, 10:37
It may just download the packet it needs for your operating system when it updates your 360 thing. I assumed it was Norton 360 as that was the name of one of their products.

Even if it downloaded them all, computers check which updates are compatible to install anyway so I can't see a multi platform product being an issue. If it were, they would have problems with anyone buying it so it would be a major product design issue.

Partitioned drives just show up as more than one. So, for a hard drive you will see one drive in My Computer (or the equivalent to that menu) but when you partition got create extra ones and the overall storage memory gets split between them. Some laptop manufacturers do this and create a small partition just for something specific that you wouldn't normally touch.

Yes, if you left it downloading but the power ran out before it finished, this would stop the download and may cause a corruption. It may just restart the download from where it stopped but it could also just fail. You can always manually download anyway by checking for updates.

Can you test that cable in anything else to prove it's just the cable? Or test another cable in that USB port to check that for problems to rule it out? Terry Microsoft was on time the they called me 10 am :) what they did I could have checked my self LOL the 2 failed KB Prefixed important updates from the 21 Dec was downloaded and installed again and no fails yay :) Yes I could swap my phone charger cable large USB to Mini USB and try that fingers crossed it's not the actual port on the device that is at fault :)
Many thanks again Cheers

Bigboyuk
01-01-17, 14:17
Well few more problems with some other things but now resolved (today) Microsoft sorted a security problem and downloaded a new version of Windows 8.1 but since then lost all sound on Youtube and other music sites (so know it's not a problem with those sites) checked my sound settings via settings all volumes are set as they should beI I know it's not my Tv HDMI Skt(s) at fault or my actual Tv so what is going on? And how do I fix it? TIA :)

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

The support agent this time wasn't very helpful over 30 mins was spent going through my Tv settings I did keep saying it's not my tv at fault so eventually took over control of my device it came up on screen with a few error messages saying something is corrupted
so now they are saying I must contact Intel so more stress :eek: I did say can you uninstall the latest 8.1 update and then reianstall it or download a previous version, he said no ( I thought you could download a previous version of windows 8.1?) so I said I could take it back to the shop where I bought it from couldn't I? And any one else on the latest version of 8.1 had similar sound problems?? TIA :)

mike83
01-01-17, 16:26
Did they tell you to try sfc /scannow ?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Well few more problems with some other things but now resolved (today) Microsoft sorted a security problem and downloaded a new version of Windows 8.1 but since then lost all sound on Youtube and other music sites (so know it's not a problem with those sites) checked my sound settings via settings all volumes are set as they should beI I know it's not my Tv HDMI Skt(s) at fault or my actual Tv so what is going on? And how do I fix it? TIA :)[COLOR=blue]

Sounds like you need the sound drivers for the stick? find the model number of the stick and write sound drivers after into google, download from intel if possible.

Bigboyuk
01-01-17, 18:15
e
Did they tell you to try sfc /scannow ?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Sounds like you need the sound drivers for the stick? find the model number of the stick and write sound drivers after into google, download from intel if possible. Hi Mike :) I could hardly hear the support operator kept saying you want turn your headset volume up, No think they did check when they took control over the device and the stick was fine from day 1 till this latest version Windows 8.1 there seems to be a corrupt file in the system as earlier todays tried to apply a patch that wouldn't apply? Feel like doing a complete factory reset and start again being new I haven't got many files stored on the device so not going to lose much by doing a reset but will that
fix the problem? Thanks Mike :)

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Managed to get it scanning but 30 secs in Was told this scan couldn't be completed
so far have checked under services.msc and checked if the windows Modules Services was set to manual and it it was so don't know what gone wrong? Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
01-01-17, 20:16
Update your drivers. When you roll back a system you won't be reinstalling all the updates that came since from other companies.

I wouldn't contact the manufacturer until you've tried stuff like this.

There are tons of tech forums online answering questions so I tend to Google.

Bigboyuk
01-01-17, 20:27
Update your drivers. When you roll back a system you won't be reinstalling all the updates that came since from other companies.

I wouldn't contact the manufacturer until you've tried stuff like this.

There are tons of tech forums online answering questions so I tend to Google. Something has corrupted the sound out put I could type in would be sound card drivers or some thing like this? I swore I would never get a pc but had enough with Android STB's (set top boxes) Prehaps best to do a factory reset?? Thanks Terry

MyNameIsTerry
01-01-17, 20:49
There is probably an update drivers function in one of your menus. Something like hardware settings.

Probably a driver or a codec. An update might sort it. There are plenty of free driver scan & update programs to try.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

There is probably an update drivers function in one of your menus. Something like hardware settings.

Probably a driver or a codec. An update might sort it. There are plenty of free driver scan & update programs to try.

Device manager is the one you want.

You may otherwise need to go to the manufacturer of the soundcard website and update. This will likely delete the old file & replace it.

It can take a few goes running SFC.

Bigboyuk
01-01-17, 21:31

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Device manager is the one you want.

You may otherwise need to go to the manufacturer of the soundcard website and update. This will likely delete the old file & replace it.

It can take a few goes running SFC.OK Device Manager got that then theres a list down the left hand side which do I look at for sound sorry but I am getting out my depth here I know there is sound and video controlers on the list then at the top there's tabs File View Action Help and ?
so which tab do I need ? Cheers

mike83
02-01-17, 00:13
What things do you see under Sound, video and game controllers? Probably something like High Definition Audio Device? Is there a Yellow triangle with a black ! on the icons at all?

You can update the drivers from there, just double click on the one you want to update, driver tab and go to update driver button. But a lot of driver installer packages do this for you.

You could try deleting everything under Sound, video and game controllers, then restart. It should automatically find them again and install the drivers it uses.

Try running sfc /scannow some more times, with cmd running as administrator. It should really be completing.

At a guess I reckon you need this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25311/System-on-a-Chip-SOC-Driver-Package-for-Intel-Compute-Stick?product=86612
SOC_BYT_Win8.1_32.zip it was based on the Intel STCK1A32WFC version of the stick they sell on Amazon which seems to have the same specs as yours.

I'm not sure it's going to be a simple driver update problem though.

MyNameIsTerry
02-01-17, 04:24
Mike, could he disable the soundcard, reboot, enable it and reboot again? I've heard disabling can solve this in Windows 8. It was something about the audio being pointed to a port rather than the soundcard I think.

If you struggle with driver updates then one of the free driver update third party programmes can help. They just scan for everything to check if any are out of date and update them for you. I think some repair corruptions too?

Bigboyuk
02-01-17, 13:28
What things do you see under Sound, video and game controllers? Probably something like High Definition Audio Device? Is there a Yellow triangle with a black ! on the icons at all?

You can update the drivers from there, just double click on the one you want to update, driver tab and go to update driver button. But a lot of driver installer packages do this for you.

You could try deleting everything under Sound, video and game controllers, then restart. It should automatically find them again and install the drivers it uses.

Try running sfc /scannow some more times, with cmd running as administrator. It should really be completing.

At a guess I reckon you need this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25311/System-on-a-Chip-SOC-Driver-Package-for-Intel-Compute-Stick?product=86612
SOC_BYT_Win8.1_32.zip it was based on the Intel STCK1A32WFC version of the stick they sell on Amazon which seems to have the same specs as yours.

I'm not sure it's going to be a simple driver update problem though.
Hi Mike I have made some notes to refer too. No warning icons in Yellow which is strange if a file is corrupted? Top of the Device Manager List is
Audio Inputs and Outputs this you would think is the one, No there's a >
next to it click on that and breaks it down even more explanation it just says
Microphone SST (intel) Audio Device (WDM) and Speakers (intel) Audio Device (WDM)

And under Sound, Video and game controllers it just says: Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) You are very knowledgeable Mike me just learning LOL! WHy do you think it's not going to be a simple driver update problem? Once the corrupt file(s) have been located delete the corrupted files and reinstall them correct?? Thanks Mike :)

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Had a look at some drivers for Windows 8.1 they said these are free to download so I did it said 5 drivers are now obsolete download 1 driver for free, the rest you have to purchase sod that they aint getting my money LOL. Iam stuck now Guys and it's stressing me out!!! You would think Mircosoft would have the corrupted files marked in red so it stands out and easily found, but no technology sucks LOL Cheers

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Called Intel who are now sending me 2 links one for all drivers for my device and a seperate link for the audio driver so fingers crossed the second link will fix the problem :) This seem the easiest way to fix the problem! Thanks Cheers

Bigboyuk
03-01-17, 10:01
Well good news!! Intel sent me the 2 links in a email to me one was for the Device Utility Uploader (DUU) and the other was a complete driver package and so I downloaded the DUU and it downloaded and installed in mins and sound was restored :yesyes:Terry prior to me calling Intel I did google what you said and tried a one company forget the name now, anyway long story short after I downloaded it a window popped up saying we have found 5 drivers that are obsolete on your device (yeah right) download one new driver
for free and pay for the others!!No way, so deleted it to the trash bin, but if I go back to the same screen the window is still there even though I deleted it. So how do I get that installer or what ever it's called off my device?? Many thanks though for your help and Mike's help. Cheers Guys :)

Bigboyuk
04-01-17, 12:02
Under 'Desk Top' on main start screen when I go in to that section there's a couple of (are these still called tabs like on the internet explorer bar?) items I want to delete as in totally delete off my device as I stupidly googled drivers for Windows 8.1 now I know different and will go Intel each and every time I keep getting pop ups but don't want to just delete the pop ups but get them out of my device :) TIA :)

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

The other issue I have I downloaded 360 total security and it's cross platform so can be used on a pc too, Trouble is I have to keep manually scanning it should be automatic scan, on power up like on my phone I have checked in the tool box on 360 security and cant find auto scan it has to be there somewhere!!! Other wise it's a good tool :) TIA :)

mike83
04-01-17, 19:26
Do you mean there's icons on the desktop you don't want? It's probably because you installed some driver program. Go to control panel, then programs and features, find the name of the program you want to get rid of and then double click on it and the uninstaller will come on screen, just follow what it says.

Not used 360 security before, most anti virus have a memory resident scanner to scan in real time. I use Avast free and Malware bytes anti malware, a good place to download stuff is filehippo, they don't bundle extra crap in like some places. For malware bytes you can download it from their website.

Do you mean as soon as you start the anti virus it should scan? They don't work like that for PC's they usually start on startup and sit there, they scan things in the background when you go to websites or download things. You always have to do a manual scan if you want to scan your whole PC. There is a part in 360 security called "protection" where you can adjust the different levels of protection.

Bigboyuk
04-01-17, 19:44
Do you mean there's icons on the desktop you don't want? It's probably because you installed some driver program. Go to control panel, then programs and features, find the name of the program you want to get rid of and then double click on it and the uninstaller will come on screen, just follow what it says.

Not used 360 security before, most anti virus have a memory resident scanner to scan in real time. I use Avast free and Malware bytes anti malware, a good place to download stuff is filehippo, they don't bundle extra crap in like some places. For malware bytes you can download it from their website.

Do you mean as soon as you start the anti virus it should scan? They don't work like that for PC's they usually start on startup and sit there, they scan things in the background when you go to websites or download things. You always have to do a manual scan if you want to scan your whole PC. There is a part in 360 security called "protection" where you can adjust the different levels of protection. Yeah got it nice one Mike :)

Bigboyuk
06-01-17, 15:51
Ha Further advice is needed Residule and Registry Junk cleaner on 360 Security it's built in to the 360 total security system now here is the problem when trying to clean these files and the registry part of my pc and the system info its says invalid info try and scan/clean it scans for a few seconds the that's it? Reckon it's because of those files I stupidly downloaded before I contacted Intel I have got rid of them under Pc control panel and followed Mikes instructions so they have gone but not sure how to clean the corrupted files out of the Registry?? Help Cheers. Update after much faffing around and cleaning think this problem is now fixed as per on screen message which say Not Found :) Cheers

Bigboyuk
09-01-17, 11:48
I had a very big problem last night which may come back again I had the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) Did google it and it and it said it's due to Driver Device Failure?? And is usually restored after a power down which I am glad to say it was restored but gave steps to put it right if it didn't restore to normality so will this BSOD happen again now at a later date?? TIA :)