PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with throat tightness?

Ethansmom
27-12-16, 15:13
Any tips for dealing with this? It feels like I'm being strangled.

Beckybecks
27-12-16, 15:20
Stop focusing on it. Keep your mind occupied with other things and it'll disappear. It's just a symptom of anxiety. It won't get worse.

Anka
27-12-16, 15:20
Is it possible you have indigestion?Then some medicine can help.If it is an anxiety issue then the more you concentrate on the certain part of the body the more you feel it.One of the things you do at the therapy is control your mind by forcing yourself to concentrate on different things.Try to concentrate on you foot for example.I know it mind sound funny but it actually works.Good luck!

Ethansmom
27-12-16, 15:51
It was so bad yesterday that I had to take a Xanax . It did ease up with Xanax. Does that mean it truly is anxiety related? I'm fearing heart issues, throat, and thyroid cancer! Please help me think rationally.

Beckybecks
27-12-16, 16:05
Well you've just answered your question.
If it eased up after a Xanax it's due to anxiety for sure.
Your fear is feeding it.
Anxiety....throat tightening.....more anxiety......etc etc
You need to break the loop.

Just remember that throat issues are very common with anxiety.
I used to suffer from this but once I discovered what it was it lost its power. If it happens now I can almost ignore it. And of course while I'm not concentrating on it it's actually just a very vague symptom and not nearly as bad as we all imagine it when we fear it.

Ethansmom
27-12-16, 16:10
Thank you for your support. I do notice I'm burping a lot,so maybe it is indigestion coupled with feeling anxious?? I ate way too much this weekend!

Anka
27-12-16, 16:14
Well this is why I asked about indigestion!With Christmas holidays we all tend to overeat.You most definitely have indigestion but then you worrying about it makes it feel worse.Have a tablet and try not to think of it.

Ethansmom
27-12-16, 16:19
I have Tums, so I'll try that for now. I did notice it Christmas night after I had a huge piece of chocolate cake. I then fell asleep right after. I woke up the next morning, had some coffee and then went for a run
I felt it about an hour later!! I then continued to worry about it all day ! I will keep you all posted.

coastgirl
28-12-16, 00:17
I've been having that same weird choking tight throat feeling! I keep trying to think of it as just my anxiety (way higher than normal due to life events) but it's hard.

swajj
28-12-16, 00:40
Last week you were anxious about heart palpitations. Now you are experiencing throats tightness. Chances are soon it will be something else. That is the way HA works. Have you made an appointment with a counsellor?

Ethansmom
28-12-16, 01:44
Yes. I am seeing my therapist next week!

Noivous
28-12-16, 01:51
I can almost guarantee it's anxiety. Beckybecks offered great advice - fugedaboutit...if you can. Drink water. And try not to become dependant on the Xanax.

bin tenn
28-12-16, 04:16
Yes. I am seeing my therapist next week!

Good for you. I hope you can make some solid progress. Just remember that they will not fix your problems. They will give YOU the tools so YOU can fix your problems. Hope you had a great Christmas and next year is a huge improvement for you!

bdale1234
05-01-17, 15:43
I have had this went to the Dr it was anxiety.