PDA

View Full Version : Scared of chiropractor

Scared2death21
27-12-16, 22:23
I have an appt with a chiropractor tomorrow and I was pretty excited to have some of my issues resolved until I saw something about how a neck adjustment may lead to a stroke :( sorry if I've alarmed any of you. Now I'm terrified that tomorrow will be my last day because of this. Please help.

Gary A
27-12-16, 22:27
I have an appt with a chiropractor tomorrow and I was pretty excited to have some of my issues resolved until I saw something about how a neck adjustment may lead to a stroke :( sorry if I've alarmed any of you. Now I'm terrified that tomorrow will be my last day because of this. Please help.

Tell him not to adjust your neck then. :shrug:

Lam123
27-12-16, 23:02
My husband had this fear aswell and avoided the chiro for a long time and suffered. He went to a chiro about a year ago and explained his anxiety about the neck adjustments, the chiro explained everything and will not do the movement that puts you at risk for stroke. It really made my husband much more comfortable and his neck issues are much better.

almamatters
29-12-16, 08:20

I have been going to a physio for 4 years and have never heard about strokes and neck adjustments, i would explain to them your worries and I'm sure they will understand and talk you through things.

swgrl09
29-12-16, 14:21
I have gone to one for neck issues for a while. I brought up my concerns with them and they were very honest with me. My chiro said this more or less: some people have warning signs that they are at risk for a stroke, some don't. If you are at risk for a stroke (which is not common HA people - I'm one of you, so I know that would trigger me lol) anything you do that adjusts your neck in a weird way (i.e. getting your hair washed at the salon, twisting it yourself, cracking it yourself) could set that process off. They do thousands of hours of hands-on training and are aware of warning signs. He said if I was still worried, he would not do neck adjustments. I had him still do them and it was fine!

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-16, 15:15
I have gone to one for neck issues for a while. I brought up my concerns with them and they were very honest with me. My chiro said this more or less: some people have warning signs that they are at risk for a stroke, some don't. If you are at risk for a stroke (which is not common HA people - I'm one of you, so I know that would trigger me lol) anything you do that adjusts your neck in a weird way (i.e. getting your hair washed at the salon, twisting it yourself, cracking it yourself) could set that process off. They do thousands of hours of hands-on training and are aware of warning signs. He said if I was still worried, he would not do neck adjustments. I had him still do them and it was fine!

Very good point. There was a news article about a man having his hair cut who did. I had never heard of this in my life and the advice to hairdressers was to use padding on the sinks. It must be rare?

So, if they know about it from a health & safety point of view, chiropractors certainly will and surely make checks first? Isn't it just like how a doctor asks about medication we are in before prescribing? A safety check and also a legal one?