PDA

View Full Version : Driving anxiety

Charlotterey1
28-12-16, 09:35
Driving has always caused great anxiety, especially when it comes to cyclists and over taking them! I usually shake off the thoughts and carry on as normal, however last week a I overtook a cyclist and when I moved back in lane he was right behind me (think he just of sped up when I was over taking) anyways I know he is okay as I saw him still cycling behind me but I can't help think what if? What if I did hit him and I drove off? What if I nearly caused him falling off? I'd never forgive myself if I hurt someone especially if I then proceeded to drive off. This is a common occurrence when it comes to cyclists and driving and it's making me now not wanting to drive unless it's just to work ... Anyone else like this? What do you do to cope?

It's seems I always have something to worry about :(

Phuzella
28-12-16, 09:56
I'm the same. I can get home and convince myself I've caused a pile up on the road. There's no easy answer but just take it steady and don't let cars behind you make you feel pressured to overtake until you're ready :)

shakey1961
28-12-16, 10:46
What if you drove on the pavement and killed loads of people? What if your brakes failed? What if your engine blew up? What if a lorry hit you?

What if, What if, What if, What if!

What if nothing happens while out driving. What if you drive perfectly well. What if your car is in perfect working order.

What if every time you go out you thought "What if" then nobody would go out.

If I thought about all the dangers outside, I'd never go out, but I try and take care of myself and others. That's all you can do.

Just give a cyclist a wide berth to make sure you're not too close. Cyclists are their own worst enemy going through red lights, so they have a bigger death wish than you trying to pass them.

To give you and example, I was driving one summers evening, the sun was low in the sky and I came to a set of traffic lights. My lights were showing green, but having been through the other direction earlier I knew one of the bulbs had gone, the red one. As I was coming up to the lights a car went through them on red, quiet fast. If I'd been 3 seconds earlier the other car would have hit me square on and I would have been in hospital.

So "What if" I had been 3 seconds earlier? Well I wasn't and that's the end of it.

Calm down.

Antonio2301
28-12-16, 11:15
To the above poster Shakey ..
Its not really that simple is it ? If you take someone with Health Anxiety and they're checked over for example and found to be in the clear then the majority of HA sufferers will still believe there is something wrong with them. It's part of their illness to think this way and then the next step is some kind of therapy like CBT etc.
It's obviously causing the girl concern and obsessive thinking is causing her anxiety and maybe you could speak to your Doctor Charlotte and see if they can refer you for some kind of therapy. CBT can be very effective & maybe help change the way you think
Antonio

shakey1961
28-12-16, 12:18
Hi, I'm sorry if anyone took what I was meaning the wrong way. I was trying to prove that we can all say what if.

I used to think "What if I'd been anxious and panic when I was at school", but then I thought, "Well, you weren't so why you being bothered about it"

The poster said they passed a cyclist and looked in the mirror and saw that they were OK. Then they said "What if I'd knocked them off" but they didn't, so why worry about it.

If a person says "What if....." before they go out and worry about it then that's different. Once you've done something and all is well, why worry about "What if..." when you know it plainly didn't happen.