PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded asbestos

tinibop
29-12-16, 01:18
So I moved into a 1950s built council house when I was 13 mum said I could do what ever I liked to my bedroom so I knocked out a built in wardrobe and pulled all the picture rail of the wall that left a horrible bumpy texture about 15 inches around the top of the walls my exes dad sanded it down and wallpapered over it now I'm 24 and suffer from anxiety I can't help but panic that it contained asbestos and to this day I'm sleeping inow the same room I tried to convince my self I was being irational about the situation but countless Websites have proved maybe I'm being very rational after all now I'm worried I'm going to die of a horrible condition calsed by asbestos then theres my kids and the damage it's potentially done to them omg they could die a painful death when there older lives significantly shortened and it would be my fault someone please help me

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-16, 04:42
I think the council's went around ripping the asbestos out of their properties, they certainly did with public buildings like schools.

Even if it were asbestos, it would be the least dangerous kind since only white was used in houses. Blue and brown are by far the worst and were used in industrial processes.

It's only disturbed fibres that are the problem. Even if you had asbestos you would have cleaned up afterwards and this would surely remove later exposure?

The trouble with this obsession is that there is going to be no way to prove or disprove it and you will be left trying to rationalise & accept it. Asbestosis takes so many decades to start affecting your health which is why it's so hard to move on from.

But consider what the NHS say, it's about repeated & prolonged exposure. That's why the risk is to people working in trades where they will keep coming into contact with it, not single event cases like yours.

Dave1
30-12-16, 02:38
Hmm, I worked for an architect a looong time ago, let me try to remember...... I think any indoor asbestos would be hard, thin sheet, about 5mm thick, used in special places that required fire resistance. It wouldn't be used on a wardrobe because there is no requirement for fire resistance between a wardrobe and a room and similarly no extra fire resistance would be needed to the walls of the house. Anyway your description of the bumpy texture sounds like plaster.