PDA

View Full Version : ALS Fear & HA

Rellie73
30-12-16, 01:08
Hi there,

I having been struggling with HA for around 18 years now. Have been really good for the last 4 or so years - but things still niggle every now and then but I usually manage to get over it quickly enough.

A few months ago I heard of a young local Mum who died from ALS. This has sent my on a spiral of downhill thoughts. My Dad's cousin died from bulbar onset ALS and another one of his cousin's died from a disease which I thought was ALS - but Dad thinks was something else that he suffered from for a long time which left him on walking aids, etc.

My HA brain goes into 'ALS must be in our family' mode. Even though my Dad who is 70 seems okay, my Grandfather (on the cousins side) plus his two sisters (the mothers of the ones who died early) and my great grand parents lived to good ages.

I started twitching a few weeks ago - I've had this before and got through it without it turning into anything nasty. Now I feel a throat clearing thing. This morning I ate dry toast and felt a crumb hit my throat and it set off a coughing spasm (this happened the other night on pepper and with a dry biscuit too). So in my mind it is ALS - now throat problems along with the twitching.

I am petrified!! I feel like ALS is in my family but not in a very concentrated way. Is this even possible? ie. if it was genetic then wouldn't it have affected more people that we know of?

Someone please talk me down - am feeling so anxious!

Fishmanpa
30-12-16, 01:17
I think you need to read some of the other recent ALS threads. It's a deep rabbit hole and difficult to get out of. Do you have a close family history of ALS? No? Then how can you even think this is an issue?

All I can say is ALS is about failure not feeling. It's not a perceived weakness, it's a failure to be able to do something that you've had no issue with before.

Positive thoughts

Rellie73
30-12-16, 01:26
Thanks Fishmanpa. I know.....my other siblings are completely oblivious to ALS and wouldn't even know that is what my Dad's cousin died from. They would be genetically just at risk if it, touch wood, were in our family.

Anything health related sticks in my mind like glue and then the symptoms start happening when I read about them as if by magic!

I am about to go run on my treadmill for 45 minutes to try and reassure myself that this would surely not be possible if I had any type of ALS onset.

Damn this rabbit hole.