PDA

View Full Version : Getting Out

clickaway
11-04-07, 14:34
Of late I have been finding it really difficult to get out much beyond my corner shop (about 7 minutes walk) or when I have to my therapist (a 7 minute drive) - I just seem to find anything more so stressful, although on the odd day I can manage more.

Anyway, yesterday, my occupational therapist tested me out to take me out for a drive. This lasted about 90 minutes with just a 10 minute break chatting in the car at a car park - the original idea was a pub but the car park was full!

One point that came out was that I feel reasonably OK on going out, but I tend to feel bad either on the return journey or after I get back. She said that this was not the norm so am wondering how many others feel this 'aftershock' rather than feeling bad upon leaving the house?

Cheers,

samtheman
11-04-07, 14:46
Of late I have been finding it really difficult to get out much beyond my corner shop (about 7 minutes walk) or when I have to my therapist (a 7 minute drive) - I just seem to find anything more so stressful, although on the odd day I can manage more.

Anyway, yesterday, my occupational therapist tested me out to take me out for a drive. This lasted about 90 minutes with just a 10 minute break chatting in the car at a car park - the original idea was a pub but the car park was full!

One point that came out was that I feel reasonably OK on going out, but I tend to feel bad either on the return journey or after I get back. She said that this was not the norm so am wondering how many others feel this 'aftershock' rather than feeling bad upon leaving the house?

Cheers,

Its the return journey that gets me, Say I go into town to the shops (20 mile round trip) I get so worked up in town about the return journey I do everything In superfast speed in order to get the return journey overwith as quickly as possible, you should see me fly round Tesco:) . Or if I go to visit parents, My visits only last about 20 mins becasue I want the return journey over with as quickly as possible. Its sods law I always seem to meet catle on the road when going to my parents adds a good 10 min onto the journey

Piglet
11-04-07, 16:07
You know Ray the funny thing is mate I also can feel worse on the return trip then when I set out and I've no idea why that should be!! Isn't that odd!!

One explanation for me is I don't much like walking down my own street and for some reason walking towards home on the main road we have to use - yet I am ok walking towards town on the same road.

Perhaps we are both just peculiar hun! :hugs:

So sorry I can't offer a rational explaination for it but thought you may like to know you're not alone on that!!

Well done for going for such a long drive though lambchop.:yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
11-04-07, 16:28
Hi Ray

I was only thinking about this the other day, especially after my trip to the meet-up.
It was hard to leave home for the journey down South, but once i got there i was fine. Then when i got home i felt terrible i didnt want to leave the house again.and i cried buckets. I was wondering if it was because coming back to my home was like coming back to the anxiety and all the things that reminded me of it. I just wondered if you felt like that Ray when you are returning home?

I know im not much help Ray, was just a thought.:hugs:

Love

Andrea
xxxx

clickaway
11-04-07, 16:40
Hi Andy,

I think you are right about 'coming home to anxiety' being a possible trigger as my house represents a lot of negativity from which it is not easy to escape. I find it difficult to sort my house out or maintain it properly so that gets me down.

However, distance does come into it too. I once tried to walked a bit beyond the corner shop to the church but I had to turn back!

Piglet - thanks for letting me know I am not unique in being peculiar. I actually celebrate for being both of these!

airwolf451
11-04-07, 17:13
hey there, just on the point you made about teh return journey or when you are at home,

could this be the come down from being so happy to be out and doing normal things that we dont want it to end and that coming home reminds us that we have to go back to that place where we live in a state of anxiety.

they do say doing normal things is teh best thing for us, maybe tis is our mind telling us that it wants more normality and by causing anxiety on the return trip it is actually pushing us to do more normal things,.

as i feel this too after being out and feeling comfortable with it.

just a thought ...........

steve