PDA

View Full Version : Groin pain - worried it's something serious

hulk
30-12-16, 14:11
For the last few weeks, I have been getting this feeling of pressure/discomfort in my groin region for the last week and a half on and off (it seems to be worse in the evenings and gone in the mornings). I haven't had any issues with pain during urination or any blood (that I can see at least). I do have slight back pain which seems to vary based on how I move (it's imperceptible most of the time).

I've been to the doctor who did a urine test with a test strip which came up fine, but has referred me to have an ultrasound done on the area to make sure there isn't anything growing. He also did a physical examination to check for lumps and hernias. I didn't mention the back pain as I thought it was related to my lifting, rather than with this, but it does seem to be related to my groin pain after all :scared15:. He suggested it was possibly overactive bladder and suggested I reduce my caffeine intake in addition to having a scan done.

Unfortunately, because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I've let Dr Google diagnose me with bladder cancer! Since my scan isn't until next Friday (and my appointment with the doctor will be the week after), I won't know if anything is wrong for another almost two weeks :weep:. Even though I'm 25 years old, which I believe makes it unlikely, I'm still quite worried.

Hopefully I'm being irrational and someone can knock some sense into me :wacko:. The pain itself is bad enough let alone the anxiety I have now :weep:.

Gary A
30-12-16, 14:39
For the last few weeks, I have been getting this feeling of pressure/discomfort in my groin region for the last week and a half on and off (it seems to be worse in the evenings and gone in the mornings). I haven't had any issues with pain during urination or any blood (that I can see at least). I do have slight back pain which seems to vary based on how I move (it's imperceptible most of the time).

I've been to the doctor who did a urine test with a test strip which came up fine, but has referred me to have an ultrasound done on the area to make sure there isn't anything growing. He also did a physical examination to check for lumps and hernias. I didn't mention the back pain as I thought it was related to my lifting, rather than with this, but it does seem to be related to my groin pain after all :scared15:. He suggested it was possibly overactive bladder and suggested I reduce my caffeine intake in addition to having a scan done.

Unfortunately, because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I've let Dr Google diagnose me with bladder cancer! Since my scan isn't until next Friday (and my appointment with the doctor will be the week after), I won't know if anything is wrong for another almost two weeks :weep:. Even though I'm 25 years old, which I believe makes it unlikely, I'm still quite worried.

Hopefully I'm being irrational and someone can knock some sense into me :wacko:. The pain itself is bad enough let alone the anxiety I have now :weep:.

Could just as easily, and in fact is infinitely more likely, be a strain. I play a lot of football and my groins are in constant agony for days afterwards.

Try to put it into perspective that physical examination has thrown up nothing of note, and the doctor is most likely referring you for double assurance. Bladder cancer is extremely rare, and would typically have shown blood and other substances in a basic urinalysis.

hulk
30-12-16, 14:50
Could just as easily, and in fact is infinitely more likely, be a strain. I play a lot of football and my groins are in constant agony for days afterwards.

I had that thought, though the fact it seems to be on and off during the day made me think that it would be unlikely. When talking to the doctor, I referred to it as bladder pain - it never really occurred to me to mention it as groin pain (though it is the same region anyway).

Try to put it into perspective that physical examination has thrown up nothing of note, and the doctor is most likely referring you for double assurance. Bladder cancer is extremely rare, and would typically have shown blood and other substances in a basic urinalysis.

I wasn't sure if the test strips tested specifically for blood - I never thought to ask him that. I hope that you're right. He did say explcitly he didn't think it was cancer, though the pain does seem to have worsened since (I described it as a pressure/discomfort - it's more like an uncomfortable ache at times now).