PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive/irrational thoughts?

scorpionwhispers
30-12-16, 23:27
I just want a bit of support, I get caught up on intrusive or irrational thoughts and wonder what other people have experienced. I think I just need a bit of perspective that mine are ok and just part of the hell that is anxiety and depression.

Sam Winter
31-12-16, 00:16
Hi there x.
intrusive and irrational thoughts are a part of my daily routine now, can't leave the house without them :winks: I'm not 100% sure what your irrational and intrusive thoughts are, but they're (unfortunately) a definite part of anxiety and depression and is probably more common than you think, the way it makes us feel can make it seem so lonely but in reality a lot of us do get them x

scorpionwhispers
31-12-16, 00:37
I worry about not recognising my daughter (which obviously is ridiculous), food being spiked, having an allergic reaction to food/medication/drink. Also years ago (which sticks with me as the worst things do) there was one very special time where I believed something about possession (while at the time thinking how ridiculous it was).

Those are just a few but they cycle round and round my head, it's a lonely and scary place to be.

Sam Winter
31-12-16, 12:33
I actually have the possession and allergic reaction ones in common, I still won't dye my hair even though I really want(I had highlights a few years back which is still the same stuff so I should be fine but I can't shake that thought) I also have still lacked to start taking my birth control pills and its been like 3 months, still don't have the courage to take them because I can't shake the thought, it really is a scary place to be x

ana
31-12-16, 13:30
I get intrusive thoughts a lot. I think they're part of anxiety. Your mind fixates on an idea or a thought and starts obsessing over it. It's really quite irritating.

scorpionwhispers
01-01-17, 22:58
I've been looking into it and it's an obsessive feature of OCD. Some of the websites are really good but when you are in the middle of the thoughts it's hard to move away from them.

Sam, what possession type thoughts have you had if you don't mind me asking?

Part of the problem is anxiety voice has an abswer for everything...as soon as j start rationalising, such as I'm clearly not going to have an allergic reaction because I've had something before the voice chimes in "oh but you are older now" or "yes but maybe your medication will interact"...etc etc. It's a constant argument

Bonnibelle
02-01-17, 08:36
I've had intrusive thoughts a few years. They hit less hard now but when my anxiety was at my worst I was afraid to be alone or alone with my kids. I was afraid I was something kind of monster for what I was thinking. I was assured they were all anxiety caused and they are, it's about jist allowing them to be there and knowing thoughts carry no weight. It's no different to a thought of what shall I have for dinner. It's a thought but the problem is we recognise scary thoughts, grab hold of them and indeed what they mean about us as a person for thinking such a thing.

B

scorpionwhispers
02-01-17, 23:07
It's one of those things that you can't talk to people about....If I mentioned half of the thoughts in my head I would see people make *that* face.

GlassPinata
03-01-17, 00:07
I think everyone has thoughts occasionally (or often) that would cause other people to view them strangely.
The fact that we're able to recognize certain thoughts as irrational and keep them under wraps and carry on with our daily lives points to the fact that we are fundamentally sane.
Sane people may have crazy or paranoid thoughts. But they dismiss them, and carry on with their day.
I think that's the difference. The problem is if you allow these thoughts to get the better of you and effect your ability to function.

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-17, 00:51
I think everyone has thoughts occasionally (or often) that would cause other people to view them strangely.
The fact that we're able to recognize certain thoughts as irrational and keep them under wraps and carry on with our daily lives points to the fact that we are fundamentally sane.
Sane people may have crazy or paranoid thoughts. But they dismiss them, and carry on with their day.
I think that's the difference. The problem is if you allow these thoughts to get the better of you and effect your ability to function.

Sane people question these thoughts or ignore them. Otherwise those who struggle with intrusive thoughts in OCD would be in the insane category, but I realise you are not trying to say this, just adding it in case any OCD sufferers misread what you are saying. Allowing them to affect you doesn't lead into anything more sinister.