PDA

View Full Version : Poll on non-sufferers playing the games.

nomorepanic
11-04-07, 21:14
I appreciate that we are getting a few people registering purely to play the games on here so interested in people's viewpoint on this. After all it is your site/forum to use and enjoy so I will happily go along with the majority.

The poll is basically asking these questions:

Should I allow anyone to register and just play the games? They currently have to do 2 posts before they can play. This also applies to members partners, children, parents etc etc?

Should I make people do more than 2 posts before being allowed on the games (we do run the risk here of random posts just to get the post count up) ?

Should they at least make an offer of a donation or buying a teddy before playing?

Do we not allow people on just to play games ?

Just a quick poll to see people's opinions anyway.

trac67
11-04-07, 21:47
If they buy a teddy or make a donation then it wont be so bad as at least they will be helping to fund the site :D

Trac xx

999madmax
11-04-07, 23:19
Sorry Nic,
That is partly my fault - My mother mainly joined for the games and to see what help is there for people like us etc. I think if she donated or bought a teddy or 2 that would be better!
I will get her to do something bout it!
Gotta get some support from users somewhere!!...

yorkylover
11-04-07, 23:27
I dont think people should come here just for the games.The site is for people to help and support each other,there are lots of sites on the net for playing games.:mad:

LadyBug
12-04-07, 01:18
The games are like therapy for me sometimes. I dont think non sufferers should be allowed to just play the games or make random posts, bc they don't understand what we go through!!! If they will make a donation to support the site though, I guess we can let them play the games....but I think you should make the call on that Nic. I love the site, and would hate to see it ruined just by tandom people who want to play free games. This site is SOOOOOOO much more than that to so many of us.

manmoor
12-04-07, 01:30
Well said Nic I totally agree hun xxx

Ellen70
12-04-07, 02:09
I ticked 'Other' as I believe anyone should be allowed to play the games, irrelevant of whether they are a sufferer or whether or not they have posted. This is because having arcade games on a site like this might high light the subject of mental health issues to those who play the games only. Also if those members who join only to play the games know about the site then they might tell a person they know who is a sufferer about the site, or they might simply just browse through the threads now and then and become a little educated about mental health issues that way.

I know the site needs to be funded and obviously if 'games only' members made a contribution then that is great. However I think to high light mental health problems and dispel some of the myths about mental health issues is important.

So far I have only bought a teddy as a way of contributing to the site so I haven't made a big contribution but I hope to give more when I can afford it.

Regards

Eibhlin

eeyorelover
12-04-07, 03:30
I picked the doesn't bother me thingy cuz I don't see a whole bunch of people becoming members of a site just for games that are available on other sites also. I know that we have a few people who have joined and play the games but don't contribute on the forum but I don't see it as a problem because it isn't interfering with the site as a whole at all.
Now if there comes a time where a whole slew of people join up just for the games maybe then we would need to address the issue but for right now I don't see how a handful of people makes that much of a difference.
xxx
Sandy

Maybe it could be an option to put a contribute to the site link somewhere prominent on the games page to encourage those who only play games to contribute to the site.
Just a thought :)

shoegal
12-04-07, 07:23
I DON'T THINK we should allow non-sufferers to join just to play the games. :lac:

This is a community for people who suffer from anxiety and depression etc and the games are there to give us a little light relief. The games can be found all over the internet so there is no reason for non-sufferers to come here. The site will get slowed down, and there will be pointless threads started as they try to post their minimum two posts (they will soon add up)!

Hope I haven't offended anyone, it's just my opinion. :wacko:

Love shoegal xxx

ashnjim
12-04-07, 08:37
I joined this site two or three day s ago now as i was reccomended by a friend of nicoles called Bryan when i was on mym talking about my anxiety panic attacks and ibs he told me about this site to help me, i only realised there was games yesterday to which i played 1 i think, i enjoyed playing the game and hope to again.the game helped me the other day as i was heading out and usually get really panicy when im just about to leave the house but playing the game really relaxed me to a point when i ate my greggs salad roll (my lunch) on the bus. i havent eaten on a bus for 5 years because of my bowels going when i take a panic attack and fear of not having a toilet to hand,but i done it yesterday and feel so proud of myself and grateful to the game being there while i waiited for replies to my thread.

i agree with eeyorelover im sorry but i ticked the it dont bother me one too i havent noticed any innapropriate threads and i spent a full day looking at the site for ways to manage my illness. i dont see any harm being done with people playing games, it might be that the people who are playing the games and have the illness are to embarresed to post much because of their illness so they just read the posts instead for tips and pointers on how to deal with it.
i am still a little ashamed of my illness but am starting to be more open about it but for about two years i wouldnt talk to anyone about it at all not even my closest friends.

thank you for letting me have my say i know i havent been here very long and i think my reply should be looked at less than people who have been here longer and know how it works.

thank you for your time
Ashley xxxxx

kate
12-04-07, 08:41
I think there are plenty of other games sites that people can join, they don't need to come on here!

Kate

Granny Primark
12-04-07, 10:15
Not many things are free these days.
This site is a massive help to people. I think its a good idea if people either made a small donation or bought a ted.
Im also a member of another site that helps with panic for which i pay yearly.

Take care
LYNN xx

lildutt
12-04-07, 13:28
i choose Yes - but the post count should be higher than just 2 posts but all of them i think aswell
so marority of them i agree with

EebyJeeby
12-04-07, 14:19
I say let 'em play and join in. The idea of a donation is the best one.

My partner used to play but can't join in with me any more as he is quite rightly reluctant to create posts just for that purpose :-(

We like to play games together and be a bit competitive - it's good for us. He'd be more than happy to make a contribution.

Eeb x

Piglet
12-04-07, 14:26
This is because having arcade games on a site like this might high light the subject of mental health issues to those who play the games only. Also if those members who join only to play the games know about the site then they might tell a person they know who is a sufferer about the site, or they might simply just browse through the threads now and then and become a little educated about mental health issues that way.

I know the site needs to be funded and obviously if 'games only' members made a contribution then that is great. However I think to high light mental health problems and dispel some of the myths about mental health issues is important.

Eibhlin

Yes - I would say this just about sums it up for me too really.:D

Piglet:flowers:

honeybee3939
12-04-07, 14:50
Hi

I voted and have to agree with Kate, i think there are plenty of other game sites where people can join, but also feel that donations could be a good option also.:)
I was never very good at making Decisions !:) :) :) :)

I lost my coin so i couldnt toss it !:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Love

Andrea
xxxxx

nomorepanic
12-04-07, 18:44
Sorry Nic,
That is partly my fault - My mother mainly joined for the games and to see what help is there for people like us etc. I think if she donated or bought a teddy or 2 that would be better!
I will get her to do something bout it!
Gotta get some support from users somewhere!!...

Max

My comment wasn't aimed at you personally and you have already bought 2 teddies to support the site so I am happy for her to stay and play the games.

nomorepanic
12-04-07, 18:46
So far I have only bought a teddy as a way of contributing to the site so I haven't made a big contribution but I hope to give more when I can afford it.

Regards

Eibhlin

... and just by buying that Teddy has helped a lot so Thank You.

shoegal
13-04-07, 14:35
Hi,

I would just like to add to this thread if that's ok. I said earlier that I DO NOT THINK people should be allowed to join just for the games. I have been thinking about it and I'm still of that opinion! I would definately not join a cancer website or a diabetes website just to use their games, so I don't think it's appropriate for others to join here for the same reason. This is first and foremost a community for anxiety sufferers, there are plenty of online communities for gamers!

However, I am happy to go along with the majority, and will not lose any sleep over it! Which is just as well cos I'm usually up all night worrying about everything else! LOL!

Love shoegal xxx

ksmith
13-04-07, 17:04
I think it's a difficult dilema to be honest. However, whilst I know it's not compulsory to be participative on the site, it would be sad to see that posts go unanswered etc coz people prefer the games to replying to requests for help. Might be interesting (if you have the figures) to compare the rate of posts and replies before and after the games became available. Has participation on posts gone up, down or does it remain the same?

I know the games are a handly distraction (I use them myself), but personally, I would be sad to see them take precedence over the main purpose of the site.

Kay x

Trev
13-04-07, 19:24
Looking at it practically I see these key issues....

1) I don't think it should be compulsory to make any responses to threads before playing. The reason I think this is that the advice given would probably not be of the best quality or given for the right reasons. To increase the number would just dilute quality.
The only exceptions I can see would be if the person has a direct medical knowledge or is a supporter of a sufferer. Best just to remove the need to contribute totally in my opinion.

2) What harm are they doing if the games are there to be played? I don't agree with the idea of joining just to play the games but hey, is it really that big a deal?

3) Are we talking significant numbers as a percentage of membership? Is it just an extra hassle for you to police this Nic if you put conditions in place? You probably don't need the grief as you have enough to do. Voluntary contribution is easy for you.

4) I'm not a techie so excuse the ignorance but could you link the games in some way such that they were outside of the site directly but still accessible from the site. Maybe this would lead to less people joining just for the games as they could go directly? I don't know about this as I'm no computer expert by any stretch!! :D

Cheers, Trev

happyone
16-04-07, 21:53
I marked the 'yes but should be more than 2 posts' but I am swithering as I see the validity in people coming in and possibly having their views about mental health issues or panic/ anxiety challenged.
However, I then thought, but who is going to come to a site called 'no more panic' unless they were searching for something on this line anyway, so would their views need challenged?
If we are talking about friends and relatives (I wouldn't let hubby in here in a million years! He would see what I have said about him!) then why not hope for a donation and/or pertinent feedback?
happyone
xx

shoegal
17-04-07, 07:24
You would probably find this site if you googled 'games' or 'spellbound' or 'arcade' or 'pacman' or any other combination of search terms. Anyone searching for games could find this site and play the games without even realising what site they are on.

Love shoegal xxx

happyone
17-04-07, 09:36
Didn't think of that!

happyone
xx

Insomniac
21-04-07, 22:38
That's a tough one to answer. I suppose a couple of posts could be a good idea. Though you could end up with worthless posts, and get this place clogged up, it would deter some people. Opening up to other people can open other minds too if they seek even a little info about panic & anxiety which could increase understanding.

At the same time I have to say I have come to feel safe here, and I post honestly about my feelings, and I would probably be more cautious if I thought lots of people who are neither sufferers or carers/friends/family of sufferers were visiting.

domino
22-04-07, 21:01
I voted NO , but now i have i surpose it might help people who are looking for the answer to their anxiety, stumbling across this site if you know what i mean.Then you have the other side of the coin where you could get people that sign in just to take the mick!!So maybe my vote should have been undecided. :shrug:

Krakers
23-04-07, 01:23
Its a bit likr saying you can't go in chat unless you post so many times. Its games, its fun, who cares who plays ? Thats unless it causes a bandwidth problem for the site, then maybe we review ?

Krakers.

Ross
23-04-07, 13:16
Can't the Arcade be set exempt from the Search Spiders? :shrug:

I don't think non contributing members should be permitted to use the games, but then again, if Bandwidth isn't an issue, does it really matter? Afterall, everytime someone visits NMP, thats another 'hit'. It's also another Member. Statistics mean a lot on the Internet for many reasons. Provided these 'non contributing' members don't start randomly posting rubbish on the forum (like I do) then meh.

Also, if you type in 'Games' in a search engine, there are MILLIONS of results. I suppose Alex could look into the quantity of hits from keyword 'games' etc.

your call Nic.... Here, have a flower :flowers:

spiral
12-05-07, 16:10
i think people shouldn't come here just to play the games but i don't think that should be "policed".
i think it's more just bad manners that people would come just to play the games than a crime so it would be more hassle than it's worth to try to stop them...

Sax
12-05-07, 17:46
:lac: i don't see the place for ppl on this site without being affected some way wiv anxiety whether it be the person or a family member, there are plenty of just game sites around for those who wanna just 'play'

i think we rely on each other so don't need people just coming here for 'gaming' its not wot the site is about

my opinion

sax x

greenfairywishes
15-05-07, 11:48
i personally welcome any non-sufferer to this site.

this is a condition that can affect anyone and the more awareness raised about it the better!

i have voted that they can play if they make a donation or buy a teddy and promote this site and cause.

laura:yesyes:

Karen
10-06-07, 01:42
I haven't played the games much until the past week or so because it helps me to be distracted by something. I don't know that I'd have found the games from searching as there must be loads that appear as results on an internet search? I don't really know much about that :shrug:

However, I do think it is a good thing to encourage donations and to make that option more prevalent on the site somewhere.

I am a member of various forums and the one I'm a moderator on has a 10 post requirement before members can send PMs. We do get people doing random posts just to meet that level but then we remove their posts and reset their posting level back down if it is obvious what is happening.

At the end of the day I suppose it depends how much of a problem it causes by people signing up just for the games?

Karen

Fall Out Boy
24-07-07, 10:36
I voted that people shouldn't sign up just to play the games, coz this site is for people with anxiety and panic attacks and all that to get advice and support. And there r PLENTY of sites just for playing games (I would know!!)

PUGLETMUM
24-07-07, 17:27
:) im with the people who dont think, non-sufferers should be on this site to play games if there are others. im not sure why somebody would want to abuse the people on this site, but i am sure they are around so by not inviting non-sufferers in maybe you are limiting the chances of somebody who has no interest in anxiety joining and maybe upsetting some of the more vulnerable members?:shrug:

nanny
19-09-07, 15:23
Hi Nic

Hope you don't mind me saying my opinion and please don't take it the wrong way but are you SURE people are joining just to play the games?
I ask this because before i joined the site i never knew there would be games on here, i joined purely to meet and get support from people who like me have anxieties etc.

I do start posts and reply to a lot too but also play word morph, word association, first/last letter game and this or that game each day. There seems to me only a few of us play so i felt i was being got at on reading this post.

I play the games because i am interacting with others who play at the same time, it gives me something other than negative thoughts to dwell on and it passes what would otherwise be a very long day for me.

Is it so very wrong to put a little fun/competition into our otherwise anxious lives. :weep:

manmoor
20-09-07, 08:05
Hi Nanny hun :hugs: I think the games being mentioned in this thread are the ones in the arcade not the panic/pause/humour one's :D Hopefully Nic will come along soon and clarify this for you but I'm nearly 100% sure its the arcade games hun. xxx

nanny
20-09-07, 08:23
Hi Mandy :)

I hope so coz i felt awful reading that post:blush:

manmoor
20-09-07, 08:26
Aww bless Nanny hun :hugs: Don't worry love I'm defo sure it's the arcade so please not upset yourself hun :hugs: xxx

LEESA
20-09-07, 13:14
hi im new, i have bad anxiety, i also found the games theraputic, (spellings wrong i think) took my mind of my skipped heartbeats, maybe non sufferers could buy a teddy or two,

Pickle
23-09-07, 19:53
I for one don't log on just for the games altho this afternoon they have been a godsend. Trying to better a previous score has totally taken my mind off what could have been a major panic attack. I joined this site purely for help and advice for general anxiety, social anxiety and panic attacks. Altho I read most posts each day, I find it very hard to join in threads as my confidence levels are zero. If members had to 'post' a certain number of 'posts' then I would be excluded from game playing. I would be happy to make a donation if that's what is agreed but please remember those of us with social anxiety and low self esteem/confidence find it extremely hard to give advice or opinions for the very reasons we use this site and I know as soon as I post this reply I will be worrying whether I have overstepped the mark (aagghh lol)

Thanx

Pickle

jill
25-09-07, 23:54
Ohhh Pickle :hugs: Please, please, don't worry, thinking you have overstepped the mark with your reply, YOU HAVE NOT.:hugs:

I can totaly understand where you are coming from with your problems. I came to this site, many moons ago LOL. I was suffering pa's, high anxiety and living in fear 24/7. If you look at my profile. I DID NOT write much about myself and my probs, still don't, BUT, this site has been a godsend to me, I like you when first joining this site read all information, post and replies, ohh there a great source of information. :yesyes:

Because of this site, I have not had a pa in a long time, BUT, still suffer low self asteam and lack a hell of alot of confidece.(working on this all the time) I try very hard to reply to threads, working hard on my self talk, positive thinking, all the time, I have days when I can reply and days when my own negative thoughts get the better of me, so I say nothing, BUT, I DO, look more at the proggress I have made and what this site has given me, THE TOOLS to help me move forward:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: I am changing a habit of a lifetime here,had low self astean and nooo confidance all my life, soooo, its going to take alot of hard work and lots of time, BUT, I'm getting there.

I have not replied to any threads in a while, I know I owe this site, sooo much, BUT, I reply when I can, anxiety works in soooo many different ways, learning how to deal with it is sooooo hard, YOUR NOT alone on how you feel Pickle, I am sure Nic and the admins will come up with something, there great :yesyes:

I play the games alot, ohhh I think there great and I feel like I am part of the gang, so to speak LOL, so when I read this thread, my thoughts did go negative on me playing the games, but I am fine with this now, blinkin negative thoughts, there a pain in the bum LOL

MMMmm, thinking now that I will not submit this reply, BUT as Meg once said to me, just think that when you reply to a thread, you maybe helping someone, sometimes just knowing that they are not alone helps.

You take care Pickle, if it helps you can pm me, it may help build your confidance, I know that for me, ohhh this dose sound strange, hay, but anxiety is strange, that I can say more in a pm, LOL funny, but not funny, if you know what I mean.

Ohhh I'm woffling now, LOL

LOVE JILLXX

Ozzy
03-12-07, 15:36
I havent voted but... comeing from a differnt point of view maybe it would be kinda good to have some outside views ect from non suffers? it would be kinda good to get the differnt views i think anyway i dont mind what way it gos it aslong as they help i guess what more could we ask for? :)

Bunty
03-12-07, 16:30
I agree with Pickle.

I voted as 'other'.
I think people should not login just for the games but maybe you could set up a login which is just for the games?

Maybe people could say if they want their messages read by these people or not and you could limit their view on subjects?
If they just want the games then you could probably make some money by setting up a seperate site with them on it.

I don't want opinions from people that don't suffer what we do, have not been close to someone who has experienced the problems we have or is not medically trained. sorry but this would really upset me.

Maybe there could be a section where they could ask questions so we could answer them? or just keep their threads completely seperate?

B

mirry
03-12-07, 17:49
Its difficult isnt it , I feel that NMP is my special place , where everyone is the same as me , I feel I belong.
Just the thought of other non anxiety sufferers coming on here makes me feel awkward. But then I have to ask myself why is this ?

And really what does it matter , I need to learn not to care what others think. As for using the games , Id like to think that we can find it in us to be kind and thoughtful, nonjudging, accepting and open because its all these qualitys that will help us find inner peace within ourselfs.

So I say , let them come here and play and learn about anxiety, because one day it may just help someone else, maybe them? or someone in their family who needs some understanding.

just my thoughts.

knightbabe
27-01-08, 19:40
Personally I don't think people should join just to play the games. I play the games as therapy when having a PA.

efc2411
28-01-08, 16:09
could end up with people coming on and messing around in the chat room and forums, could easily upset alot of the more nervous users

ladygrom
30-01-08, 07:05
i agree ppl shudnt just join for the games on here and like stu as said cud upset alot of nervous users xx

redrose
11-03-08, 11:05
I voted no people should not join just to play games.

As i have been suffering for a long time now with anxiety,depression and health anxiety. I must admit i have played a couple of games on here since joining, purely to help with the racing thoughts going on in my mind,and have found that this has helped me to concentrate and stop those thoughts racing.

I don't post alot as i find it very hard to express my feelings most of the time,and i am scared of being judged.:weep:

I do visit every day and i get alot of comfort from this site, as i know now that i am not the only one suffering.

Just wish i could put the way i feel down in writting on here.

Bunty
11-03-08, 20:32
redrose

you've made a good start with telling people how you're feeling!

Well done!!

Bx

xBettyBoopx
13-03-08, 21:53
I haven't read the 'zillions' of posts in this thread, I don't have that much time, lol:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: but I'm going to ask a question:

Why would anyone want to come on here just to play the games? All the games are on other sites where you don't have to register and login etc.

If they were searching for games sites, they wouldn't come across this one.

That being said if they check out the rest of the site while they are here, they might get a better understanding of what we suffer, and then they might be a bit more sympathetic:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Elspeth

Krakers
12-07-08, 15:56
Just a thought - we've actually no idea if people join just to play the games. While they aren't accessible as a guest, they may still do a lot of reading - for instance we've got 225 guests online now.

Also, if they're anything like me, what else do you do at 5am when you can't sleep, the last post was at 1am and theres nothing new to say or read ?

Just because people don't post doesn't mean they don't benefit from the site, and its difficult to make the assumption that they're here just for games.

Krakers.

kendo59
26-10-08, 06:39
This is a community for people who suffer from anxiety and depression etc and the games are there to give us a little light relief. The games can be found all over the internet so there is no reason for non-sufferers to come here. The site will get slowed down, and there will be pointless threads started as they try to post their minimum two posts (they will soon add up)!

I think I agree with this.
If non-sufferers join, they will also make posts, and it will detract from what this site is supposed to be.

EdwardP
25-11-08, 01:14
I'm only new to the forum so I highly doubt my opinion matters at this stage, but I voted No because I feel there are plenty of gaming sites online that people can go to instead of joining a forum just to get to them. Ok, I have played a few games already, but it certainly wasn't my intention to do so upon registering. I just stumbled across the arcade and happened to play a few in between posting :)

flymo9
02-12-08, 18:02
no offence but there are plenty of games sites on the web/online etc. i do not think it shood be allowed for non sufferers to come on purely for games.
this site is for like minded ppl and like said im sure there are plenty games sites non sufferers can use that will have same games we have on here. sorry if offended anyone, just how i feel Mo xx

paladin806
10-01-09, 15:16
As a long time member, who has found the whole site to be helpful and very benificial, may i say that the games, were the easiest way to become involved, to break the ice, and to get the confidence to go further. i will also say, at one point, the games were my lifeline at night, without them i would no longer be around to write this post. John.

sunshine-lady
10-01-09, 15:51
I put not bothered either way, if people get pleasure and distract from playing the games, that has to be a good thing

nomorepanic
21-01-09, 09:23
We will be making some changes soon and members will need to have a minimum post count and be a member for over 5 days before they can play the games. This will be done when we move to the new website and forum.

june
04-02-09, 14:06
Hi,

I would just like to add to this thread if that's ok. I said earlier that I DO NOT THINK people should be allowed to join just for the games. I have been thinking about it and I'm still of that opinion! I would definately not join a cancer website or a diabetes website just to use their games, so I don't think it's appropriate for others to join here for the same reason. This is first and foremost a community for anxiety sufferers, there are plenty of online communities for gamers!

However, I am happy to go along with the majority, and will not lose any sleep over it! Which is just as well cos I'm usually up all night worrying about everything else! LOL!

Love shoegal xxx
I have to say I agree with this post it says it all - however, There are some new people who are worried about their use of the games - I am sure YOU are not the ones this thread is aimed at:hugs: you obviously use the site or you would not have posted:blush:
I also want to comment on a post that someone's mom plays the games I think that is OK:hugs: it is nice (sometimes) if mom's are there to help:yesyes:
It is really the 'outsiders' who seem to be the problem:mad:
Lastly it has to be up to Nic - it is she and her team who know how things work in the running of the site and their word is final.
We all know they are a very caring 'bunch' of people:yesyes: :yesyes:
Best wishes
June:hugs: