PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new job and moving with health anxiety/depression

Bethel
02-01-17, 21:14
Hi everyone. I hope everyone is having a decent New Year. I'll get straight to it. For the last 2 months I've had troubling health anxiety. It seems to have manifested into depression. The anxiety I could deal with. But this, it's just so hard.

I am moving to a new city for a job in a week. Between now and then I need to find an apartment, and pack and move all of my belongings. I have a loving, wonderful boyfriend who will unfortunately not be able to move in with me for a few months. Luckily, the city we are moving from is less than 5 hours drive so we will see one another often.

I'm just worried. I'm going to be alone. I'm worried I will fail at this new job and worried that the company I'm working for isn't financially stable. I've had so much bad luck this last year with jobs so I want desperately for this new role to be right for me. I guess my biggest concern is that I don't feel 100%. I'm depressed and starting a new job in a depression just seems like a recipe for failure.

Anyway, anyone have any advice? Thank you for reading. I'm glad this forum exists.

.Poppy.
02-01-17, 22:06
I can empathize with you for sure. I'm starting a new job tomorrow and am very nervous about it, including fears that I'll hate the new job or will be really terrible at it. In my case I don't have to move yet as it is in the same town where I've been attending school. I think if I had to move AND start a new job I would be in a state.

I agree that anxiety and depression are hard. It seems for me that the one that is worse is whatever one I'm battling at the time :) Meds have helped me, but it is a suckfest, isn't it?

Try to look for small favors and little things to be happy about. It will be fun to find an apartment and make it your own. Seek out cool shops or really awesome restaurants that you can go to with your boyfriend. Maybe set a few skype dates throughout the week with your boyfriend and/or family members.

In my experience, with transitions like this, the first month is just awful. There doesn't seem to be any way around it, but it may help for you to prepare by upping the self-care. Stock up on movies you love or sign up for a Netflix or Hulu account (if you haven't already). Fill your fridge with comfort foods. Get several comfy blankets and curl up after work if need be. Alternatively, set aside some days to be active as well...go explore as I suggested before, go on long walks, etc.

You WILL make it through this and the sun will shine on the other side. You'll rock this job and any that come after!!

Bethel
02-01-17, 22:18
Geez Poppy thank you so much for the pep talk. I needed it badly. Today I have some awful headaches and even after a run on the treadmill I feel like crap. It's also super gray and rainy here which doesn't help.

Fwiw the city I'm moving to, I am originally from. So that helps. I know a bunch of people there and I do think that the job I'm starting will be great for me. It's being alone that makes me scared. Then again, I've been without a job for two months which is probably why all my HA and stuff has been bad.

I'm not in meds currently, so it's hard dealing without then. I am taking 5-thp which helps usually but not today. I just need to take it day by day. Usually once I'm moving I'm okay. Let's hope apartment hunting goes well these next two days.

Thanks for your response...it's helping me think more positively.

.Poppy.
03-01-17, 00:18
It's good you have plenty of friends in the new city. This will definitely make the transition easier!

Is there any way you could invite some friends out for dinner after your first day or week on the job? It may give you something positive to look forward to.

Distractions are good where HA is concerned.

Best of luck with the apartment hunting! I'm hunting too, keeping my eyes open for a place later this spring/summer. There are ups and downs with the process (especially since I have a cat and a dog, so need somewhere pet-friendly) but I keep telling myself that overall it will be fun to get settled into a place and make it my own.

Bethel
03-01-17, 01:29
Distraction is hard when you're unemployed. I was laid off in November. Very unfairly really. Since then the HA has ramped up, and with it the depression & anxiety. I have moments every hour where I think about brain tumors. It's terrible. To make matters worse my aunt was diagnosed with a brain tumor and she is probably not going to make it. It terriefies me and saddens me to no end. Needless to say there has been A LOT going on in my life.

I'm hoping this new job will be great. I just worry about not being with the boyfriend. We've been together for a long time and he is an absolute dear. I know we'll talk every day but I still worry. My mom offered to come stay with me a while. I might take her up in the offer. I dunno. Anyway, thank you Poopy.

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Lol. Poppy. Not poopy. ����