PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a year makes!

ServerError
03-01-17, 07:12
I couldn't resist a bit of a nostalgic look back over 2016 as I approach the first anniversary of my time on No More Panic. At the end of January, it will be one year since my first overt panic attack and the beginning of my descent into a hell that took me closer to a suicide attempt than anyone should ever have to go, and brought me here.

I was looking back over the threads I posted when I first joined. I feel like they were written by somebody else. At the time, I felt unique. I didn't know at the time what specifically was wrong with me, as nobody was openly telling me I was having panic attacks. I had to figure out largely for myself that that is what they were. At the time, I was desperate for answers as to what was wrong with me. I thought it was very serious and that I was probably going to die. I almost find it funny now that I thought that. What the hell was I thinking?!

I realise now how much my posts blended into the rest of the Health Anxiety forum. I didn't post anything that hadn't come up before for countless others: schizophrenia, heart disease, brain tumour, various cancers, vision problems... the list goes on. But I felt like I was the only one at the time. Now I can see I was no different than anybody else.

You can see a marked change in my posting over the course of 2016. I gradually shifted from seeking reassurance about my symptoms to starting to help others (or at least to try to!). As I learned more about anxiety and started to see the extent to which I was doing it all to myself, I slowly began to climb out of it.

I needed help to do it, though. I've been taking sertraline since February, so not far off a year. It tormented me for a few weeks, but once I got through the mucky stuff, it did begin to help me. I also benefit from some therapy with a really good therapist.

At the end of my course of therapy last summer, I was feeling so much better, and my therapist asked me if I felt anxiety had been good for me in some way. My response now is the same as it was then: I'm not glad it happened and I wouldn't wish it anyone else, but I think it did need to happen. It showed me what can become of you if you leave issues like depression, negative self-image and stress unaddressed. I've had depressive episodes for most of my life without telling a soul. How nobody ever noticed I will never know. But the last year has given me a very strong shove in the right direction, even if it was horrible.

I guess I have to be thankful to my body in some way for finally saying "enough!". If it hadn't have done, I wouldn't have learned about what was going on in my mind all these years and how all of the miserable stuff I've just accepted as "part of my character" can be tackled and changed.

Things aren't perfect by any means. I'm still on my antidepressant. I thought about starting to come off it last month, but to be honest, until I get some personal life things addressed fully, I don't know why I'd kick my own walking stick out from under myself. As some of you may know, I have some pretty serious credit card debt incurred through losing the capacity to manage my finances properly while unwell last year. I also left work and moved back into my parents' place as I couldn't handle the day-to-day responsibility of a job. I feel ready to get back into work now, so I feel I'm better off waiting until I'm all set up with a new job and living in my own place again before I ditch the sertraline. I'll get there, though.

If my money worried had occurred this time last year, I wouldn't have handled it. It might even have been the straw that really did break the camel's back. But it's a sign of my progress that I'm relatively relaxed about it and am even able to choose not to let it stress me out. I've never had the ability to actually choose not to let something worry me. I have changed for the better, and I will plot my course through this issue, just like I have with anything else life has thrown at me.

My sleep is still a disaster. One reason I want to get back into work is so I can get some routine back in my life. My body just seems to sleep whenever it wants. I feel like I don't even have circadian rhythms. But I don't worry about it. What's the point? As long as I keep addressing the underlying psychological and emotional causes, my sleep will eventually settle down. I'm probably cursed to always be a rubbish sleeper, but I believe it will improve over the coming months, depending on how quickly I can find a job and start living a normal life again.

I do owe No More Panic a debt of gratitude. It was a huge help to me in those early days when I was all at sea. I now feel that it's really important to be prepared to accept any advice and answers given before you post. Otherwise, what's the point? If you must seek reassurance, you have to be open to actually being reassured. I also found therapy helpful, especially in the sense that it just helped me to feel looked after and cared for and guided. I then became strong enough to start learning from it. That are a handful of books that I would also attribute to getting me to this position. They may even have saved my life.

One thing I don't really talk about or even think about anymore is recovery. I'm no longer sure what it even means for me. Does it mean going back to who I was before that first panic attack? That's what I wanted when I was lying in a hospital bed expecting to be told I was dying. Or does it mean something better than that? Does it mean an absence of suffering? Does it mean not caring? I don't know the answer, but I think I'm onto something when I talk about absence of suffering. I won't tell you I've recovered, but I'll tell you that I no longer worry about my anxiety symptoms, and therefore, they cause me no suffering.

I started running again last month. I originally got into it in 2014/15 while living in Belfast, but after my move to London, I completely stopped for about a year and a half. After my first run last month, I could barely get round the block. I was shattered at the end. Fast-forward and I'm now running 10k pretty regularly and returned to the Parkrun scene last weekend. I would never claim that running or exercise in general is a cure for a mental health difficulty, but I have noticed the boost it gives me every time I run. The sense of achievement is enormous. It really improves your self-esteem. And it's free! I signed up to do a 10k in May here in Liverpool where I'm originally from and am living at the moment - I can't help but feel I may have under-challenged myself...

Anyway, I like to spread the occasional dose of positivity around here. I'm really optimistic about 2017. I hope and believe that anybody can turn that corner and find a more peaceful place.

Happy New Year! :)

Mermaid16
03-01-17, 07:34
Thank you for sharing your journey openly and honestly with us. It was very positive and real. I believe there is hope for all of us to find that peaceful place without anxiety, but it takes time, effort and risk. We are the only ones that can change the way we think. Would you mind if I asked what books you found helpful? Great post and good luck on your journey.

ServerError
03-01-17, 07:45
Just thought I'd share some responses to threads I've posted that I found especially helpful as a bit of a thank you. Perhaps there's something that somebody else might also benefit from seeing.

Please note: this post is not meant to be suggestive of any cliques or favouritism. I've had all kinds of helpful responses, and many wonderful private messages too. This is just a random selection.

Panic attacks occur out of the blue. and then after, all these physical symptoms occur which are very unusual and annoying.

This is pure, textbook health anxiety and panic attacks!

Schizophrenia is a common worry but the fact it, you know there is a problem here and someone experiencing an episode or psychosis or delusion would be completely absorbed by and not question it - it would be others getting you to help.

As you say your fatigued issues come & go and don't impair your life. CFS can do, so it seems unlikely. Has this worry only come about since the initial panic attack by any chance? If so, I think that's going to just be another worry from the anxiety.

You've mentioned about social anxiety. Anxiety tends to branch out into other areas the longer you suffer from it, it attaches itself to other elements of your life as it becomes more complex. It lives of making associations, and that's how it works in the brain anyway by expanding fears. So, this could be an extension of that existing worry & anxiety. Especially if you have been under a lot of stress.

This is still pretty new. Right now there is a good chance to head this off at the pass and prevent it developing into a longer term disorder.

Every bit of it does, especially the official diagnosis ... The notes say preliminary diagnosis: panic brought on by hyperventilation, subsequently followed by anxiety.

Hey there. Been there, done that... It definitely sounds like anxiety and panic to me.

The MRI should give you some peace of mind, but after that you need to realize the sensations can definitely be brought on by panic and anxiety. Once you realize they are, you should be able to say "OK, this isn't a pleasant feeling but I know it's anxiety" and then it will go away.

Try taking some ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory for a few days, and see how it feels.

We have Primary and Secondary pain. Primary is the actual pain from the issue and Secondary is our interpretation of how it affects us. In someone with an anxiety disorder, Secondary pain can be amplified for the same reasons we struggle with any other symptom. However, not all anxiety sufferers have that problem and not all non anxiety disorder sufferers have a good hold on their Secondary pain either.

Michael,

If I tried to remember all the places I've had anxiety-related pain over the years, it would be impossible. For me, there's usually a minor cause like excess stomach acid (caused by anxiety) and then the pain runs amok and ends up wandering around. I remember when I started a new job 10 years ago, I had the most excruciating pain in my foot the night before - I'd knocked it when I was out running but the pain was completely out of proportion. The timing was obvious as I was feeling pretty anxious and it soon went. Honestly, our minds are incredibly powerful and can play some horrible tricks on us.

The less you focus on it, the better it will get. Whilst you're preoccupied with the pain, you're sending messages to your brain that something is wrong. This makes you more anxious and notice the pain even more. Try to break the vicious circle by doing something else. I know it's not easy but you'll soon start to feel better.

Good luck

Pip

It's quite apparent the changes from the time you started posting. Keep up on the exercises and techniques to stay on the healing path. Supplement it with online CBT refresher info and books. Always be moving forward from here on out.

I have my partner to thank for my complete turn around with my diet, he introduced me to different foods and i realized that actually i do like vegetables ect, i've always loved cooking which is definitely a bonus, i am just a big foodie so i really enjoy making tasty meals.
The important thing for me was seasoning, and learning different ways to cook ingredients, because it doesn't have to be bland at all i have healthy tasty meals all the time but it does require effort when cooking i suppose.
I think what gave me the boost more than anything was seeing the difference in myself, after eating more things like garlic, tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, peppers ect ect and cutting right down on greasy foods my energy levels soared.

You are going to have wobbles, SE, recovery isn't just about feeling better as I'm sure you know, it's about how you handle your triggers. If you start to see yourself not responding to them and your thinking changing towards "whatever" or "it's probably just X", then you are onto a winner!

Just a note to offer encouragement. I always talk about the fact that of the tens of thousands of fears I've read about here over the last few years, only two actually were serious, needed attention and both are fine.

Just to play devils advocate here. Supposing your worst fears are realised the prognosis is still really good.

Continue to have faith the right thing will come along. My mentor tells me it's all about luck and timing....I sure hope she's right. :)

It is about turning adversity into triumph.

---------- Post added at 07:45 ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 ----------

Thank you for sharing your journey openly and honestly with us. It was very positive and real. I believe there is hope for all of us to find that peaceful place without anxiety, but it takes time, effort and risk. We are the only ones that can change the way we think. Would you mind if I asked what books you found helpful? Great post and good luck on your journey.

Thanks. :)

I'll post the books a little later. There aren't many. I'm all about finding what works for you and then sticking with it. :)

Kaede
03-01-17, 07:49
Really glad to see one of these positive posts on here for once, I wish we had more of those, it really gives one hope.

I am really happy for you and I'm sure that with this attitude 2017 will be a great year for you.

Also, I wish you good luck with finding the job and your own footing again. I'm not gonna tell you that it will be easy because it won't but I think that you have shown tremendous strength which will only help you succeed.

NoraB
03-01-17, 08:37
Excellent post! All the best to you in 2017 (I went to type 1917..it's just too early ha ha):D

Colicab85
03-01-17, 09:33
Excellent stuff mate :)

I know exactly what you mean when its happening to you you think you are the only person that has experienced the symptoms and everything is unique to you.

That is EXACTLY how I felt, looking back it seems mine is a well trodden anxiety path.

JoM
06-01-17, 00:08
What an inspiring post. Thank you

Fishmanpa
06-01-17, 02:37
:yesyes: Awesome post Server!

There have been several members in my time on the forum that have reached the level of healing such as yourself. For me, watching the positive changes is and has been quite an amazing process and experience witnessing it. Most have moved on from the forum and proceeded to live their lives relatively anxiety free. I've stayed in touch with several via email and social media.

Giving back and helping others is admirable. Hopefully your words will serve as inspiration to others. Well on good sir!

Positive thoughts

Primula
06-01-17, 14:57
I'm so glad you are feeling better. I loved this post you did a while back.http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=183272. I's a great reminder of all the things you need to do to get well and stay well.:yesyes:

bdale1234
06-01-17, 23:07
Great post. Thank you for taking the time to write this. So glad you are feeling better and doing better. You are always so helpful and kind. Hope you have a great 2017.