PDA

View Full Version : Ct scan anxiety

Eniko
04-01-17, 03:51
Hi all, I'm a mother and I have developed anxiety and insomnia over my son's CT scans. He fell at 6 yrs old and the emergency MD took a CT scan with (-) result for concussion, thank goodness! Then he fell again when he was 7 and again got a CT scan at the emergency rm with again, (-) concussion. I did not know what a CT scan meant at the time. Then I researched and panic set in. It increases risk for brain tumors and leukemia. I developed a strong guilt with major panic attacks, anxiety and insomnia. I am worried sick that I put my child in harms way because I rushed him to the emergency room and agreed to a CT scan. I read 2-3 CT scans for a child triples the risk for brain CA. Has anyone had similar experiences? I don't even know if they adjusted to his small size. He had them in 2013 and 2014.

venusbluejeans
04-01-17, 04:06
Hiya Eniko and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

GlassPinata
04-01-17, 04:53
My little boy also had a head CT scan, following a fall & bad head bump, to check for concussion.
I almost didn't approve it because of my fears of radiation, but the doctor assured me there was little to worry about.
It's if you have repeated CT scans that it becomes a problem. I don't think one or two will hurt our babies. We're okay, don't worry. :hugs:

PS the risk of brain cancer in a child is VERY, very small. Even if it tripled his risk, it's one in a million.
You did what you had to do at the time. You were being a good mom, making sure he was okay after a fall.
Don't beat yourself up. Those CT scans are nothing compared to the level of radiation used to treat cancer patients.
Your baby will be okay. You made the right decision.

Eniko
11-01-17, 02:47
Thank you for your caring and supportive response :hugs:
I do have to keep in mind that a lot of kids go through similar situations and that so many doctors would not be ordering then if it was not somewhat safe. I know I also have to keep in mind that the risks are still low for brain cancer and leukemia. I do have to somehow get over blaming myself for not investigating other options especially when it was his second scan. They could have just observed him for a few hrs and if there is no symptoms then there would be no need for a scan, I guess live and learn. Now I am more informed of the risks and options that doctors don't always take the time to give you. You are also right that some kids get way more radiation for cancer treatment and this is no comparison. Bless those children and what difficulties those parents have to face.