PDA

View Full Version : Glittery vision when waking up

cookiedough
04-01-17, 09:31
I might sound crazy for posting this but can't find any advice anywhere on the internet.....
Just recently when I first open my eyes in the morning all I can see is this glittery effect, almost I suppose like white noise on a television.
It disappears after about 3 seconds and this is the only time I ever get it
No other symptoms!
Anyone had similar?

GadGirl
04-01-17, 12:14
Hi cookiedough, I have that aswell not every morning but it usually happens when im startled awake, or if I haven't woke up properly yet.

cookiedough
04-01-17, 16:11
Thankyou so much GadGirl - it does make me quite anxious when it occurs as I can't see anything!

GadGirl
04-01-17, 17:02
Yeah I have had it for quite a while now, I suffer from a form of dissociation, so the visual snow ( tv static can be quite strong) I used to panic a bit when it first started but not anymore

Strikeman
04-01-17, 17:21
Have you got low blood pressure? The "glittery" effect (I sometimes think of it as foil in my vision) is often because of a lack of blood to the eyes which is why you sometimes see it when you bend down and then up again quickly, as the pressure and blood supply to your eyes is reduced due to gravity

cookiedough
04-01-17, 17:39
Hi strikeman - my blood pressue is usually just average. Last time it was checked it was 114/70?
Would it be my BP if its only first thing in the morning before I even get out of bed though?

Strikeman
04-01-17, 23:40
Are you always looking up at the ceiling and light, so its always a bright envirnment or do you wake up in the dark? I did some research into it via Dr Google and apparently its due to your retinas "powering up" and shuld only really be noticeable when looking at bright lights, and not in a dark environment

This powering up affect would coincide with what I mentioned earlier about your blood flow to your eyes increasing upon waking and therefore the issue going away quickly