PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with depression/Citalopram in need of answers????

H8CAK
05-01-17, 19:52
Evening all, firstly the total may be miss leading! I've suffered with depression/anxiety for around 10 years (I'm currently 39) my original symptoms were a general Ill feeling with sickness, no interest in anything and generally feeling poop! I was put on citalopram and have been on them since. I've had a few ups and downs but mainly ups. Most of my downs have been during the winter when I tend to get blips but nothing too major, it usually picks up within 2-3 weeks. I've also had a few instances when I've had a big night out on the booze and ended up being bad for a few weeks. It has always picked back up once my levels sort themselves out. The reason I'm
Posting finally after many years lurking in the background is
I've had a bit of a rough time before and over xmas with my depression/anx. This is why happened.......... during the summer I was feeling really quite good going out drinking ect. I had been forgetting to take my citalopram. I was taking it maybe once or twice a week. Obviously this wasn't the best idea and I started feeling shit around mid October. I saw the Doc and explained what I had done and he basically said I had come off the citalopram in the totally wrong way. I started back on citalopram 40mg at the end of oct and by mid/end Nov I was back to my normal self. Because of this I had a few xmas nights out which included 2 good sessions! Needless to say after the last session (2 weeks ago today) I started feeling rough again! It's gradually got worse and I feel like I'm having some of the side effects of the citalopram again with the light head, nausea and loss of appetite. My question is could me drinking heavily on 2-3 occasions close together after restarting the full dose of citalopram some how have stopped them working and now I'm suffering some of the side effects again?? The docs don't seam to be able to answer much!

venusbluejeans
05-01-17, 19:58
Hiya H8CAK and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

H8CAK
05-01-17, 20:12
Thanks for the reply. Is this posted in the correct section?

MyNameIsTerry
06-01-17, 04:57
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

You want the Cit sub board on the Meds board really, you will get more replies.

But no, alcohol won't stop them working and Cit reaches it's steady-state in blood plasma in about 7 days. This is just when it is boosting existing Serotonin levels, the longer term effect of down-regulation takes longer.

Alcohol can interact with Cit and cause some side effects plus some sufferers struggle with alcohol anyway with their anxiety. Alcohol causes a spike in Serotonin levels so it's likely we are a bit low and have to rebuild those levels the next day through food in take. Plus we can be sensitive to bodily sensations and hangovers feel even worse.