PDA

View Full Version : sexual side effects

shiznit76
06-01-17, 16:05
Hi, how have people found their sex drive while taking these meds. I know all drugs carry a risk to sex side effects, but what particular ones have people found with these?

SmilingAlbert
06-01-17, 18:42
None whatsoever for me Shiz

Albert

MyNameIsTerry
06-01-17, 19:18
Have you checked out the Genitourinary list?

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/pregabalin-side-effects.html

God knows what half of those even are but a few stick out (excuse the erectile pun :winks:)

lliiaamm0099
06-01-17, 19:36
I took Pregabalin for a few months and found that it actually seemed to increase my sex drive quite significantly.

SmilingAlbert
06-01-17, 22:26
In my experience of many drugs, the only SEs really worth thinking about are the very common >10% ones - and often they affect a whole lot more than 10%, albeit in the early stages.

Those leaflets seem to list practically every affliction known to man, for even the most humdrum medicines. e.g. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/aspirin-side-effects.html

I don't think reading them do anx/dep folk much good. As I've said before, I wish they'd simplify them, rewrite them in a consumer-friendly fashion, and direct users to helpful websites like these. And make honest statements like "these may make you feel weird for a while at first but these feelings will usually subside soon, so hang in there."

To get back on topic, you do see mention of this occasionally here, but not that often. In my case as I said no effect, but perhaps a positive one as I had more confidence in that department...

Albert

MyNameIsTerry
06-01-17, 23:06
The one I posted has a section for consumers and professionals, the latter is more structured but the trade off is the medical terms. Looking at any med in the professional section you don't know whether it is telling you about something scary or a pimple on your arse!

It has it's uses in pinning down the possibility of a symptom though as opposed to worrying it's something from a condition, if you are able to rationalise it that is.

My gripe, aside from no hover over for medical terms (but they aren't aimed at us), is how you get a "you must contact your GP immediately" urgent scary sounding one yet so many of them are also in the "tell your doc but he probably won't care" section. It's confusing.

I tend to go by the real urgency warning and that's the allergic reaction section which is always separate. I've had symptoms in the Uncommon category with my latest med so I look at those too but I'm not a HAer do it's easier to put it down to the med, buckle down and talk to my GP (it still triggers good 'ole anxiety though, of course)

Sexual side effects are a tricky one to judge like other symptoms that can also just be from anxiety or depression. Unless you can pin them down to a pattern emerging from a starting dose or change, it could be a symptom of your mental health issues. Of course, a med can also worsen that hence causing new symptoms like sexual problems.

Since you are having a blip, Shiz, could it be that?

shiznit76
07-01-17, 13:37
could be Albert, hopefully

GlassPinata
07-01-17, 15:35
Yes, when I take Prozac I have a greatly reduced sex drive and cannot orgasm.
One of the many reasons (along with weight gain and awful lucid dreams) that i stopped taking it.
Although lately my anxiety is such that I'm considering going back on it. :(

SmilingAlbert
07-01-17, 15:43
SSRIs are very impactful on (male) sex activity in my experience, and these don't fade in my experience either. One of the advantages of the AD I'm on (mirtazapine) is that it is one of the few modern ADs that doesn't have this at all, in my experience, and indeed I have read medical advice directing doctors to put patients on Mirt if they cant handle the sex impact of conventional SSRIs like Prozac.

(I don't know anything about their effects on females!)

Albert

GlassPinata
07-01-17, 15:46
SSRIs are very impactful on (male) sex activity in my experience, and these don't fade in my experience either. One of the advantages of the AD I'm on (mirtazapine) is that it is one of the few modern ADs that doesn't have this at all, in my experience, and indeed I have read medical advice directing doctors to put patients on Mirt if they cant handle the sex impact of conventional SSRIs like Prozac.

(I don't know anything about their effects on females!)

Albert

I'm female, and like I said above, Prozac had a definite negative impact on my sex drive. It was one of the first symptoms I noticed, even before the Prozac had fully kicked in.