PDA

View Full Version : Bowel fears again - ibs?

Redsoles
07-01-17, 06:27
So I've been anxiety free for about three months even though symptoms are still there.

Now I have new symptoms. Bit of background: I'm 44 and doc seems to think I have ibs. I have acid issues and pain in mid left abdomen under ribs which comes and goes.

This week I started slimming world again after a 6 month break (I lost 60lbs).

So the new symptoms are a fleeting ache in rectum which lasts a few seconds and happens several times a day.

Then yesterday I had explosive gas for a couple of hours which was very noisy and worse than I've ever had before. Also looser stools and a lot of clear mucous yesterday.

I've also been feeling incredibly tired some days and now I'm thinking the worst again.

I don't know what to do now. I feel if I go to GP she'll just humour me again. I had upper abdomen ultrasound in September which was clear except for lots of gas.

Does anyone else have these symptoms?

Beckybecks
07-01-17, 07:01
Yes I get all those symptoms. And more :(.

The fear of what it "might" be, causes anxiety which causes more symptoms.
A loop that you need to break.

I'm having a flare-up at the moment and although I'm aware of what has caused it and what is prolonging it, still it's hard to break that loop.

It does make one feel very tired.

If you've been checked out by the Dr then rest assured it's IBS and nothing more serious. We need to trust medical professionals, they're trained to look out for anything important.
Not to say that IBS symptoms aren't real or at times very painful, but they won't kill you.

Do you have any medication? Try Iberogast, Chamomile Tea, Peppermint Tea, Mebeverine, hot water bottle, walking, yoga. All available without prescription :). And many more OTC remedies available at pharmacy.

Hope you feel better soon.

Redsoles
07-01-17, 08:22
Thanks for your reply. I just can't shake the 'what if'. The pain is always in the same area which is making me think there's something there like a growth or something to be causing it. Plus I think my GP is fed up with me now so perhaps doesn't take me seriously.

Beckybecks
07-01-17, 08:41
I understand about the "what-ifs". It becomes a habit unfortunately.

Your GP isn't fed up with you, but maybe tired of trying to convince you that there's nothing seriously wrong.
IBS is a very common condition, due in part to food intolerances because of the poor quality of food available now and more often than not, due to anxiety which seems to be on the rise in our world today.

So the doctors see IBS sufferers everyday and probably grow tired of trying to convince their patients. Hence the tests, the purpose of which is actually only to calm our fears.

If you read some of my posts you'll see I've suffered from IBS for years. I've had all sorts of weird and wonderful symptoms. I wrote a post for people who are worried about their IBS symptoms mainly so I could refer back to it when I get stuck in the loop, which I do.

The more you worry, the longer the symptoms persist. In my experience the only thing that really puts a stop to it is when I stop worrying and focusing on it.

Capercrohnj
07-01-17, 17:48
Anxiety makes IBS symptoms worse so it's a viscous cycle. It definitely sounds like ibs. I've had IBS forever as well. I also have Crohn's disease so I am familiar with a lot of GI disorders unfortunately.