PDA

View Full Version : Undercooked eggs - Instant upset stomach!

Nicnac5
07-01-17, 12:12
I'm a terrible cook and cooked 2 eggs soft which ended with one being white and runny so I threw it out. The second one seemed ok but half way through eating i noticed it was white and runny too. 10 mins later i had to rush to the loo! Is this normal?? Freaking out :(

Catherine S
07-01-17, 12:19
Unless you have an egg allergy, rushing to the loo was probably because of your anxiety. Have you never heard of raw eggs beaten with milk to drink as a source of protein?

ISB x

Nicnac5
07-01-17, 12:22
Ahhh yeah I guess! Probably just the worrying x

Catherine S
07-01-17, 12:32
:D x

GlassPinata
07-01-17, 15:29
I'm a terrible cook and cooked 2 eggs soft which ended with one being white and runny so I threw it out. The second one seemed ok but half way through eating i noticed it was white and runny too. 10 mins later i had to rush to the loo! Is this normal?? Freaking out :(

If you are in the UK, it is my understanding that all eggs are pastuerized and therefore safe to eat either cooked or raw.
In the US, about one out of every 20,000 eggs contains salmonella, which would result is a case of diarrhea (ranging from mild to serious) if consumed raw. Those are still good odds, and many here in the US choose to eat runny eggs despite this small risk.
Salmonella poisoning is generally not serious nor life-threatening in healthy adults, although it poses some significant risk to very young children and the elderly.
The odds of getting a salmonella-contaminated egg here in the US are small (1 in 20,000), and the odds of getting one in the UK, I believe, are zero.
You'll be okay. Best wishes.

PS- not only that, but Salmonella (and all types of food poisoning) have an incubation period, generally 24-72 hours before you'd notice any symptoms. If you suspect food-borne illness, you'd do better to look at what you ate three days ago, rather than blaming an egg you ate minutes ago, which wouldn't have had time to make you sick yet.

Jull
07-01-17, 19:35
How long did you cook the eggs??

Nicnac5
07-01-17, 21:05
4 mins but water didn't seem to bubble for ages!