PDA

View Full Version : Relationships

emnemz
07-01-17, 17:14
Hmm I wasn't sure where to post this one...

Does anyone find anxiety effects there's relationships? I find I am constantly snappy and kind of push my OH Away. He says one thing that annoys me and that is it. I can't seem to intimate anymore, and god knows when we last had nookie!

I don't mean to but I'm just so irritable. My OH doesn't get too bothered by it and it's certainly not that I don't love him or that I don't find him attractive, I just can't seem to stop it!x

Sam Winter
08-01-17, 00:16
My health anxiety ocd and social anxiety defo affects my relationship but surprisingly in a different way, my sisters like you she can quite snappy but her OH knows to not pay much attention to it, i on the other hand get quite clingly and speak in riddles, sometimes i'll just come out with things like "if i don't see you again please know i love you" and i get really deep and odd, then i get clingly that my partner is going to leave me ect, but they just joke a lot because they know not to take me seriously, i think any kind of relationship can really struggle when one has a form of anxiety(even friends and family) it just depends on what kind of person you get x

swgrl09
08-01-17, 01:31
I get pretty irritable too. My anxiety focuses on HA a lot. It affects my relationship in a lot of ways. I seek reassurance from my husband, and he doesn't know what to do because he knows it feeds the "beast" so to speak. We had to come to an agreement that he would answer me one time and that would be it. Sometimes I feel guilty like I am the "crazy" one and he is the normal one, that I rely on him too much. He of course feels differently and is very understanding/compassionate. Sometimes he gets irritated with me, but always apologizes and recognizes it. And I get it because I irritate myself!

Female healthanxiety
12-01-17, 23:29
Yes I'm the same!

Actually with friends too - I tend to not answer some days, just the way I feel.

Hope your partner is supportive and it's only natural to snap, as bad as it makes us feel xx

Fishmanpa
13-01-17, 00:10
I can tell you form personal experience that mental illness can and does affect personal relationships.

My 1st wife suffered from Severe Depression Disorder which manifested itself into hoarding (yes, like the show type hoarding). It started after the birth of our second child (my daughter) and it got so bad that eventually, it meant the dissolution of our marriage.

I dated after that over the years and met several women who suffered from mental illness. As you say, due to the illness, the mood swings, aggressive outbursts etc. drove me away. I'm blessed that my 2nd marriage has not had these issues at all. We have dealt with real physical illnesses but mentally, we're strong.

The thing is, in all previous relationships, had they made a concerted effort to help themselves concerning their mental illness, things possibly would have turned out differently.

Make the effort to help yourself or eventually things may come to a head and break for good.

Positive thoughts

Aurelius
13-01-17, 11:13
I think stuff like anxiety affects relationships because it's hard to understand what anxiety feels like until you have felt it first hand (How many people just think you can stop thinking about the causes, or that ignoring it will make it go away?)

Also, when you're in a relationship your OH will want to help you but I suspect the vast majority just don't know how, which I'm sure is frustrating as well.

My wife has said that one of the reasons she started feeling distant and that our marriage was struggling was because she felt that she no longer knew how to make me happy.