PDA

View Full Version : Despair/terror is that GAD or depression?

Arose
08-01-17, 09:53
I woke up feeling despair/dread which led to feeling really scared and anxious. I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm worried there is something wrong with me like psychosis or psychotic depression. How do I know if it's that or GAD?

Mermaid16
08-01-17, 10:03
Hi! I'm pretty sure you are just experiencing GAD. If it was psychosis or psychotic depression you wouldn't be aware that your behaviour was not normal. Hope that makes sense. Maybe try and do some deep breathing or meditation or something else that is distracting. The more you scare yourself, the more anxiety you will feel.

Beckybecks
08-01-17, 10:38
Feeling anxiety, depression, dread or despair first thing in the morning is typical of GAD. This is because our stress hormones, adrenaline and cortisol are at their highest levels at that time of the day. You'll probably find that you feel your best in the evening when the levels are lower.
I find it's best to do some physical exercise to work off the adrenaline

Arose
08-01-17, 10:48
Thank you both. I'm going to go for a walk to my mum's in a bit, i've been putting this off for ages but i'm feeling brave today.

Jo1970
08-01-17, 15:29
For me the dread and despair is not just on a morning ....

Arose
08-01-17, 19:22
The thing that freaks me out is that the dread and despair comes over me but im completely calm, which made me think its depression. It usually ends up in anxiety though because its such an awful feeling. Sometimes i have the urge to cry but i cant.

bdale1234
08-01-17, 22:04
I always feel anxiety when I first get up.

diamondgeezer65
09-01-17, 12:53
I suffer from GAD and my anxiety is worse in the morning. Often wake up shaking too.

Peachypips
10-01-17, 15:49
Hi Arose- I think I've met you on the fluoxetine threads! My anxiety and depression is at its worst when I wake. I wake up, for a split second feel great, then it comes crashing in. It's like a massive kick in the stomach mixed with paralysing terror. I then feel rubbish until about 5pm.

When I've recovered from a relapse in the past this does go eventually. Hope it does this time!

Jebdog
10-01-17, 18:16
Hi Peachypips,

I can relate to what you are saying about morning. Also do you have good spells and bad spells (like days, weeks or months) or do they tend to be pnger in length?