PDA

View Full Version : Lipoma ultrasound

emmalj0
08-01-17, 17:59
Hi has anyone been told has a lipoma which does not show on ultrasound. I just need to know this is normal. Thanks

Sphincterclench
08-01-17, 19:23
About a year and a half ago I noticed a lump where my ribs ended and my abdomen begins. I went to my Primary Dr who laid me on the table, pressed around a bit, asked me if it hurt, I said no and I was told I had a "Fat pad". My HA roofed and I was certain that I had a cancer and it was going to kill me. To appease me Dr ordered an Ultra sound and results stated showed "NO MASS OR LIPOMA" so I have this lump on my lower left ribs about 3" long and another just below my rib line that is also about 3" x 2" long and that is just there and no one can tell me what it is.

I get little "aches" in that area from time to time but nothing that would rise to the level of "pain". But then I am highly tuned to my body and acutely aware of every little twinge.

I dont think it has gotten any larger or more sensitive so its likely benign whatever it is but its there, I see it, and I obsess over it.

emmalj0
08-01-17, 20:48
Sounds similar to me. Mines a cm in size I obsess over mine too. I don't understand how it can be palpated but not seen.

Fishmanpa
08-01-17, 20:54
I just had one removed from my lower back. It was clearly visible just by looking as well as on the ultrasound. It was the size of an egg and causing constant discomfort due to the location. It's been several weeks and my lower back feels a whole lot better.

I guess, depending on the size and location, it may be hard to locate via ultrasound. There was no mistaking where mine was ;)

Positive thoughts

emmalj0
08-01-17, 21:25
So do you think mine is nothing more than a lipoma. It's under the skin around a cm in size iv had around 4 years now

Gary A
08-01-17, 21:35
So do you think mine is nothing more than a lipoma. It's under the skin around a cm in size iv had around 4 years now

You've had confirmation that its a lipoma by several doctors and medical testing. I personally have tried to constantly tell you exactly why this is simply a lipoma, clearly I was wasting my time. I don't see what this latest bout of reassurance seeking will achieve, other than feeding your anxiety.

emmalj0
08-01-17, 21:50
I just don't understand if it was lipoma y it's not seen on ultrasound because there is a lump there all Dr's have said so. If ultrasound so good surely would c it

Gary A
08-01-17, 21:56
I just don't understand if it was lipoma y it's not seen on ultrasound because there is a lump there all Dr's have said so. If ultrasound so good surely would c it

You've had it for four years. It's one centimeter in size and hasn't grown. Who cares what the ultrasound can and can't see? A cancerous tumour would have grown massively over a period of 4 years, you'd most probably, at this point, be either seriously ill or actually dead.

I honestly have no idea why you keep ignoring that fact.

Fishmanpa
08-01-17, 22:13
While lipomas can grow in size occasionally (mine did), as with you, I had it for years.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

To add: I agree with Gary, if it were sinister, a 1cm (tiny) growth (that's been the same) would have grown and taken your life in 4 years I assure you!

Positive thoughts

Gary A
08-01-17, 22:23
I actually had no idea it was only 1cm in size. You've most probably had this a lot longer than 4 years, also. You discovered it 4 years ago, therefore it's most probably been there for a lot longer before you discovered it.

Seriously, put this to bed.

emmalj0
08-01-17, 22:50
U will c iv not been in here for months hadn't been Dr's for months. A comment was made to me about a biopsy no one knows for sure etc and it's set me off again. Dr's won't biopsy or remove as nothing shown on ultrasound

swgrl09
08-01-17, 23:03
Did you ask your doctor why it may not have shown on the ultrasound? None of us would have the answers as to why.

Gary A
08-01-17, 23:34
U will c iv not been in here for months hadn't been Dr's for months. A comment was made to me about a biopsy no one knows for sure etc and it's set me off again. Dr's won't biopsy or remove as nothing shown on ultrasound

They aren't biopsing it because they know it's a lipoma that will cause you no harm.

Why are you still ignoring the fact that it hasn't grown or changed in 4 years? A cancerous tumour would have exhibited very noticeable changes in that time period.

Why do you keep ignoring that cast iron fact?

emmalj0
09-01-17, 07:07
Because I read sarcoma can grow slowly over years. The Dr doesn't know y it doesn't show on ultrasound. To me it has grown slightly but Dr's still don't seem concerned x

swajj
09-01-17, 09:02
I have one in my leg. It isn't visible but you can feel it. My doctor knew what it was as soon as he felt it. I think some benign lumps feel different to other more sinister ones. I first noticed mine about 4 years ago too. I still have it and it hasn't changed. I have never worried about it really. When I had my HA I worried more about things that weren't actually there lol

emmalj0
09-01-17, 09:28
Good to know I'm not on my own. I don't feel ill in fact for other health reasons I had to have an mri on my brain neck and back all clear this should b reassuring as if I'd had cancer for four years likelihood it would have spread x

swajj
09-01-17, 09:49
Yes. Listen to the doctor and stop listening to other people or Google or whatever. You are reading or hearing about cancer. Your doctor has examined you and he or she knows the difference between what you have and sarcoma. Google doesn't.

Gary A
09-01-17, 10:49
Because I read sarcoma can grow slowly over years. The Dr doesn't know y it doesn't show on ultrasound. To me it has grown slightly but Dr's still don't seem concerned x

Slowly? It's remained at 1cm for four years! That's not growing slowly, that's a total halt.

Too many "buts" from you, you actually posted a copy of a doctors letter you'd recieved a while back and the guy was practically begging you to accept that this is a harmless lump of nothingness.

Ultrasounds, multiple doctors, hell, medical science and all it knows about cancerous tumours have all told you that this is nothing, but one random post from some nameless faceless person on an Internet forum is enough to set you off?

Leslie735
09-01-17, 13:40
I can relate to how they're feeling. I had a breast lump investigated recently. The ultrasound, and doctors exam both told me it was probably benign.I questioned the heck out of it because of posts I read online in the BC forums. I was a mess. I ended up having a biopsy "for my peace of mind." It was benign. I should've believed them but I just couldn't. I can compeletely relate. The internet is a VERY powerful thing. There is always that one story that sets you off. That's health anxiety for you. Its something we cannot control, our minds just go there and we can't bring it back and rationalize. Someone without health anxiety just doesn't understand it. From the outside point of view, I can see where it seems irrational, crazy and totally ridiculous but to us its VERY real and extremely scary.

emmalj0
09-01-17, 14:01
Exactly no one in my family and friends circle understands how awful it is worrying constantly over one thing.