PDA

View Full Version : Extreme panic - ladies please help!!!

gypsymoon
10-01-17, 00:06
Hi, I am new here - I used to be on Anxiety Zone. I am in a complete panic right now - my periods have ALWAYS been regular and I just had my yearly gyno exam and pap test in September. I started spotting last week = brown and reddish off and on - and it is still going on. Right now is when my actual period should be. I called my gyno's office last week and the nurse said to call back this week if I was still bleeding. So I called today trying to make an appointment with my doctor and talked to the nurse again, who did not seem concerned and seems to think this is hormonal because of my age. She said to see how it goes next month and if it happens again they will do an ultrasound and endometrial biopsy - I am TOTALLY terrified now that I have cancer!!!! I am going to call again tomorrow and tell them I really want an appointment with the doctor but I am completely panicking - has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them after they turned 40?

NancyW
10-01-17, 01:24
Yep.. I'm afraid this is the beginning of a bumpy ride for you. I remember thinking, my period wasn't going out nicely, it went haywire on the way out.

Of course the drs check it out, but as soon as your hormones are off a bit, the bleeding becomes random, it's like anything goes..

As my dr put it to me the first time I went in in a panic.. "this is your new normal"

ScaredLizard
10-01-17, 01:36
Oh definitely turning 40 could have done it! I've been in perimenopause since I turned 30! It's a crazy thing and now every one of my periods is so different!

SighNoMore
10-01-17, 05:32
I just turned 40 and it is seriously like a switch flipped. I have a huge long thread in the female section of the board. Spotting, weirdness. Biopsies. 40 has not been awesome so far!

I totally get what you are walking through! I am in a huge panic, but every wiggle test so far has come back ok. Hang in there. Sounds like we both have some hormonal woes going on.

Stagestruck
10-01-17, 13:23
Yep, had this a couple of years ago, but I was 50 rather than 40. I'd always been regular up to the age of about 48, then it went haywire. Periods with months apart, or only two weeks apart. Very light ones that never really got going and I wasn't sure if they were periods at all. Ones like that sometimes went on for two weeks or even more. I went to the doctors and she said that however irregular periods are, they are not concerning, neither are longer/shorter ones. it is abnormal bleeding between that is concerning. The trouble is, you get to a place when you don't know if something is an irregular, light, longer or shorter period or some abnormal bleeding in between.

NoraB
10-01-17, 15:23
Hi, I am new here - I used to be on Anxiety Zone. I am in a complete panic right now - my periods have ALWAYS been regular and I just had my yearly gyno exam and pap test in September. I started spotting last week = brown and reddish off and on - and it is still going on. Right now is when my actual period should be. I called my gyno's office last week and the nurse said to call back this week if I was still bleeding. So I called today trying to make an appointment with my doctor and talked to the nurse again, who did not seem concerned and seems to think this is hormonal because of my age. She said to see how it goes next month and if it happens again they will do an ultrasound and endometrial biopsy - I am TOTALLY terrified now that I have cancer!!!! I am going to call again tomorrow and tell them I really want an appointment with the doctor but I am completely panicking - has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them after they turned 40?

I was 39 when I started the menopause. I'd had my third son and that was that. Ovaries threw the towel in and said "No more for you, Lady!":unsure:

It's most likely that you are starting the menopause. Hormones are such wonderful things.:wacko:

gypsymoon
11-01-17, 00:27
Thank you all for you replies! I have now called my doctor's office twice and spoken to two nurse who both said to wait and see how things go next month and call back if it happens again. Apparently they think this may just be a weird period. So I guess I just have to wait and hope this stops soon - I guess I should try to tell myself that if they were concerned they would get me in sooner - also the fact that I had a normal exam and pap test in September and that all my periods have been totally normal until now should mean it can't be anything really scary.

crystal17
11-01-17, 01:30
This is happening to me right now. Started spotting midway through my cycle then normal period started and lasted 2 days instead of 5 and has come back today for an encore!

I'm 36 and have read it could be the start of perimenopause. Just keep an eye on it and see how the next couple of cycles go. But I understand all of your worries and have them myself.

GlassPinata
11-01-17, 02:00

There are several threads going on at the moment about this same issue.
I myself once had this issue. I actually had it several times during my 30s.
Answers: yes, you could be entering perimenopause (the years before menopause).
Women's hormones sometimes get unbalanced during this time, and it results in abnormal bleeding, often just for one cycle, then back to normal.
Other common causes of abnormal bleeding include cervical ectropion and cervical and/or endometrial polyps. Both of these are common and benign conditions.
If you recently had a PAP, cancer is highly unlikely.
I can relate to your worry, though, and certainly you should get it checked out and determine the cause, if it does not resolve on its own in your next cycle.
Best wishes. <3