PDA

View Full Version : IBS? Or spleen?

ww1399
10-01-17, 15:42
For about a week now I've been worried about leukemia, specifically chronic myeloid leukemia which rarely, if ever affects children and adolescents (about 100 new cases diagnosed each year in the US). One of the most common symptoms of this is an enlarged spleen.

Since then I have had a nonspecific pain under my left ribs. It only started happening AFTER I googled, and this has happened before when I was worried about lymphoma. It's almost like a gargling sound is associated with it, along with burping and flatulence (sorry!).

What I'm wondering is, could this be a symptom of IBS (splenic flexure syndrome) and do sudden bouts of anxiety and stress trigger IBS episodes? Looking for someone who has had personal experiences with this. Thanks for reading.

Gary A
10-01-17, 15:44
For about a week now I've been worried about leukemia, specifically chronic myeloid leukemia which rarely, if ever affects children and adolescents (about 100 new cases diagnosed each year in the US). One of the most common symptoms of this is an enlarged spleen.

Since then I have had a nonspecific pain under my left ribs. It only started happening AFTER I googled, and this has happened before when I was worried about lymphoma. It's almost like a gargling sound is associated with it, along with burping and flatulence (sorry!).

What I'm wondering is, could this be a symptom of IBS (splenic flexure syndrome) and do sudden bouts of anxiety and stress trigger IBS episodes? Looking for someone who has had personal experiences with this. Thanks for reading.

I haven't had experience of this but I do know that IBS is triggered by bouts of anxiety, and that the fact you only started feeling this after your googled it, kind of tells you that you're only noticing it because you've focused in on the area.

Fishmanpa
10-01-17, 15:47

Wow!... it's really obvious you've been visiting with Dr. Google quite a bit! ;) It's well known that anxiety causes gastric symptoms. There's even a sub-form (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=94) dedicated to it.

Positive thoughts

Clydesdale Epona
10-01-17, 16:13
IBS varys from person to person i mainly get side pain and the classic gargling sound mixed with wind plays right into my wheelhouse, don't let it fool you :winks: IBS can be quite bad and often rather painful at times(it generally changes depending on how anxious you are, the more worried you are about something = the more pain, wind and or constipation x)

ww1399
10-01-17, 16:15
Thanks everyone. Feeling better now.

Clydesdale Epona
10-01-17, 16:20
No worries i'm glad you're feeling better now, i understand how scary it can be mine has scared the pants of my me a couple times but it's always turned out to be okay, IBS is much more likely and usually the case x