PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare GAD

Emmajo
10-01-17, 18:45
So, I recently left a job of 7 years, to start a new role/opportunity with a charity and I just couldn't do it which led to my unemployment. My old job was OK until my role changed and there was too much travel involved for me so I decided to move on and seek something new.

First day in to this new role (which sounded like a great place to work), they wanted me to do things like drive on a motorway up north and attend the Christmas party...I was overwhelmed. I did discuss my anxiety with them beforehand and assured me there would be no travel etc. But when I started I was given an ultimate by HR, turn up within 3 hours or resign (I'd had a panic attack on my second morning because I was overwhelmed.) I have a fear of eating in restaurants and I cannot do motorway driving, I offered to go on the train but they didn't seem happy about that. They suggested maybe I needed time off work.

So anyway, I've been unemployed for 3 weeks, NHS called me and offered me a job out of the blue, I went for an informal chat with them and got it. They remembered me from a previous interview. I've completed the first two days of induction, been secretly, heavily sick and ill on the first and feeling very ill today. Tomorrow I start work. Earlier than I thought as the start date was originally Feb. Any advice on how to cope?

Basically I obsess over things before I go, so when I go I get the shakes, feel sick, keep needing the toilet, sometimes I am sick... I really really want the job and I know being anxious is normal but I don't want to physically sit there and shake and keep rushing to the toilet. :( I know I will be fine if I can get over this hurdle, anxiety doesn't usually effect me at work it's just the initial change. As long as I don't have to go out to any restaurants soon I'm sure I'll settle and learn my role..But I am terrified of tomorrow and I can't stop thinking about things. :/

SLA
10-01-17, 18:54
First off, congrats on the job. You are right, when you get over this hurdle it will be a huge step.

My advice? First person you meet, tell them how nervous you have been. Offload some of it. Making someone aware of it will mean you get them on your side, and they will look out for you.

Doing this will take the pressure off. Its the NHS, and mental health is in the news. You won't be the first person with anxiety troubles, and you won't be the last.

Start tonight by thinking about how you would like the day to go.

Honestly, spend 5 minutes just allowing yourself time to relax and think about all the positives this job could give you. You can go back to panicking afterwards if you want, but just do 5 minutes of thinking about it going right.

The anticipation is always 1000% times worse than the actual event.

When you get your foot in the door you'll be fine. You will feel nerves, sure. But we all do, and don't feel bad for getting nervous.

Best of luck. x

Emmajo
10-01-17, 21:21
Thanks I'll try. I've been sick twice already tonight I just want to do well tomorrow and not feel so ill.