PDA

View Full Version : Leukemia? Scared.

ocds
10-01-17, 19:08
So, I went to the Urgent Care a few weeks ago and right off the bat the doctor said I looked really pale. She asked if I had anemia, I said no. I started to panic so much, then she told me I had the flu. She said that if it went away and I didn't get my color back to go to the regular doctor. Now it went away and everyone is saying I got my color back. Lately I've been kind of depressed so I don't really have much appetite, but I know a lot of the symptoms of leukemia and am scared I have it. As much as people say I don't look pale, I feel like I am. I just walked up and down two flights of stairs to do laundry and felt winded. I never felt like this before I had the flu. I also just checked my weight and I have lost five pounds in the last four months. Granted, I've been running all over campus. But all these little things are adding up and terrifying me. I just had a blood test in June, everything was fine. But 7 months could change a lot.

Sphincterclench
10-01-17, 20:23
getting winded on 2 flights of stairs and 5 lbs weight loss in 4 months is nothing to be concerned about. Those symptoms and a leap to leukemia is a bit of a stretch

be well.

axolotl
10-01-17, 21:19
Essentially you've already explained everything you're encountering. Never underestimate flu and how long it takes to get over it completely. We devalue the word "flu" by using it to mean "quite bad cold" when phoning in sick. And five pounds in four months is absolutely nothing, if you've been ill, lost your appetite and recently exercising more it would probably be odder if you hadn't shed a couple of pounds (and five pounds is nothing - you can drop two pounds or so in natural variation of fluids, amount of food you have in you, etc, which is why dieters who obsess about every pound they lose or gain every day are missing the point.)

You've jumped to a very odd conclusion based on very little. You've not said anything there to worry anyone, apart from concern about depression and anxiety. Please talk to a doctor about that if it persists. Hope you're feeling better and more positive soon.