PDA

View Full Version : Deep Unfulfillment: an anxiety symptom?

TheAnxiousEnglishman
10-01-17, 21:49
Hi,

I've had many of the classic symptoms of anxiety (nauseous stomach, heart palputations, hot/cold sweats, sensations of dread), but underneath all of that, even when the 'obvious' symptoms aren't present, I'm left with a deep, gnawing sense of unfulfillment. It's almost as if I could be given a million pounds tomorrow and fly to the Bahamas, and I'd still have this state of emptiness. It's very intrusive on my focus and everyday tasks.

To give you some context, it's not as if I'm stuck in a dead end job - I've just graduated, and my prospects are looking very good at the moment. All my ducks are getting into their proverbial rows.

Has anyone else had these feelings, and if so, could it be related to anxiety? A not too common symptom, perhaps?

Kind Regards,

TheAnxiousEnglishman

crystal17
11-01-17, 01:26
YES - I don't know what it is either, but it's got worse as I've got older. In my teens and twenties it was never like this but as anxiety/depression has got worse so has the emptiness.

I wish I could help you understand it but I'm just as clueless! Sometimes it almost gets worse the more good things happen in your life... I don't get it but you're not alone with it.

GlassPinata
11-01-17, 01:48
YES!
It's like, when I'm actively worrying (obsessively) over some particular thing, which I am 85% of the time, I have a focus. During those times, I think, "My life would be so perfect if this particular worry would just get resolved."
But another one usually pops up immediately to take its place.
During the rare times when I'm not obsessing over any worry in particular, I feel adrift and at loose ends, unable to enjoy or take pleasure in my "perfect", worry-free life.
Then another worry pops up, and it's like, "Why didn't I appreciate my life when there were no worries?"

I think it's because i'm always waiting for the next imaginary catastrophe to strike, so I can't relax and live in the moment, even when nothing is wrong.

But yes, I've lived this way a long time, and I'm afraid I've lost the knack for being happy, even when there is no immediate perceived threat. :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
11-01-17, 09:19
I don't think they are so much a symptom as they as more likely something you get across many mental disorders. Like how self confidence, self worth, self esteem, etc become affected by what we are going through.

I went through a stage of this. Looking back I would say look at your depleting vs. nurturing elements in your life, something explained in professor Mark Williams book about Mindfulness. You can find yourself being all about work when life needs balance so that you become defined only by work and then lose interest in and feel rudderless & lost.

But feeling empty is certainly found in people going through anxiety, depression, etc. If may just be a stage to work through.

gregcool
11-01-17, 17:30
I can relate to this..im 50 years old.have money lovely home my daughter in my life no debts brand new motorbike.time is my own.but still no joy at all.i feel also if i won the lotery id be the same

NeedToSleep
11-01-17, 23:37
Yes I know what you mean. It never used to bother me before I got anxiety, I was fine living my day to day life. However when I developed anxiety, I developed a huge sense of being unfulfilled. I have worked in jobs that, although not exactly high flying, would be seen as adequate jobs. I also have a weird fear of other people finding out this, hence my aversion to Facebook etc. I keep trying to change my life in order to move away from these feelings, it doesn't seem to work.

tsmithcats
12-01-17, 09:11
I feel like this also. Always nervous of what I might do wrong at work, feeling uninteresting and ugly.

It affects me daily.

SLA
12-01-17, 10:20
No amount of external things will make us happy for long. It is a temporary thing.

If you want to beat anxiety and depression, one big factor is realising that everything has to come from within.

Seeking salvation in the external world is a recipe for disaster because we cannot rely on these things.

True peace and fulfillment starts with letting go.

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Wow, don't I sound like a... tw...

Either way, it's true.

Citydeer
13-01-17, 02:42
You're so right, SLA. I have been thinking about that a lot lately. I think in the modern society we distract ourselves with goals and material things. we put so much expectation into the future and things we are looking forward to when we think we'll be happier than we are now. I feel like anxiety does that a lot, we think "as soon as this thing that is making me anxious passes, I'll be happy". That's how I feel anyway. Im trying to change that and heed the old saying "life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain". I want to learn to enjoy the simple things in life and for my happiness to come from within myself regardless of external circumstances.