PDA

View Full Version : feeling really down :'( insomnia or anxiety. please help..

Miznuvem0412
11-01-17, 06:01
hi

my problem started two weeks ago with a bad night of sleep. lately it seems i fall asleep but in a light state of sleep . i remember all my dreams and wake up every hour. i never had insomnia or any sleeping problems.

before this i was suffering from a viral infection (sorethroat chest infection ) that took almost two months to go away.

now i'm dealing with issues sleeping and i'm really scared. i'm not sure if anxiety and stress are causing me this problem. sometimes i think it's due to anxiety since dealing with that viral infection was extremely awful.

has anyone ever gone through this symptoms? was it due to anxiety???

i've tried turning everything off all electronics 1 hour before bed. i cut out caffeine completely and started exercising today.

i also take vitamin C,Zinc, A,D, and try drinking teas.

eva82
11-01-17, 07:30
Oh yeah! I get these same exact symptoms from time to time.. especially when my anxiety is acting up. The only thing that helps is not to stress about the insomnia and count the hours of sleep I'm getting because that always ends up making me more anxious. It goes away faster when I just accept that my sleep may be disturbed for a while while my body tries to recover from the added stress or anxiety.

Try some calming herbal tea before bed and also guided sleep meditations also help me a lot. You can find a bunch of them on YouTube. When you wake up don't toss and turn and add extra worry. Have a book or even podcast handy at your bedside and distract yourself until you get sleepy again. I hope these tips help you and trust me, you are not alone!

Clydesdale Epona
11-01-17, 07:43
Eva gave some great tips! x I just wanted to comment too to say you're not alone, I'm currently having my annual new years rough patch and with that comes great insomnia and rather odd sleeping patterns, you're not alone trust me x

Miznuvem0412
11-01-17, 22:09
Eva I just thought insomnia was not able to sleep but this light sleeping and rememebering all my dreams is just something scary . Since I normally sleep like a log and wake up once a night and go back to sleep .

I feel like something is really wrong but then I try to tell myself it's just anxiety . I'm so worried :(

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

Aiden what are your sleeping patterns liKe ?

I hope we get through this :(

Sphincterclench
11-01-17, 22:11
I know this sounds nutty...but change where you sleep.

I have had insomnia my whole life. sometimes a night on the floor or the couch will be enough to interrupt the non sleeping or light sleeping patterns.

rest easy....

eva82
11-01-17, 22:32
Insomnia can be either: unable to fall asleep, waking up multiple times during the night, or just not sleeping at all. It can be different for everyone. In my case, I can usually fall asleep OK but then I will wake up a few hours later and have trouble falling asleep again. Right now I'm going through a rough patch and I fell Asleep around 12am, woke up at 3 and wasn't able to fall asleep again. So last night I only got 3 hours of sleep! But most days I can manage 5-6 hours (when anxiety is lower).

Miznuvem0412
11-01-17, 23:27
I just don't get what's causing the light sleeping and rememebering all dreams . It's like I never enter deep sleep :( . This is stressing me a lot . Im a try to exercise and try to relax and see what happens . I hope I can beat this somehow since I go back to school at the end of the month . Plus taking Ativan to sleep makes me groggy in the morning

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Maybe I just have a fear I won't be able to ever sleep deep and or normal that's stressing me . Like I'm always going to have this issue

eva82
11-01-17, 23:46
No you won't always have this issue, I promise! But it will continue for as long as you are worrying/stressing out over it. Added anxiety and stress causes all types of sleep disturbances and light sleeping is very common in anxious people. Our minds have a really hard time just shutting off and letting us relax.

How much Ativan do you take? I take .5 mg when I can't sleep sometimes and it tends to be just enough to help me relax without the groggy feeling in the morning. Maybe try taking just half of your normal dose to see if that helps with the grogginess. :)

Miznuvem0412
12-01-17, 00:28
:) thanks I hope I get through this . They gave me 1mg of Ativan and Paxil 20mg

I just haven't started the Paxil I just want to beat this on my own without so much meds :(

BikerMatt
12-01-17, 00:41
:) thanks I hope I get through this . They gave me 1mg of Ativan and Paxil 20mg

I just haven't started the Paxil I just want to beat this on my own without so much meds :(

Slightly off thread but I think 20mg paxil is quite a high starting dose. I would cut it in half.

ScaredLizard
12-01-17, 00:43
Also worrying about insomnia and sleeping makes it HARDER to sleep! I've BTDT!

Miznuvem0412
12-01-17, 00:54
Slightly off thread but I think 20mg paxil is quite a high starting dose. I would cut it in half.

Really if I decide to take it should I just take 10mg?

---------- Post added at 00:54 ---------- Previous post was at 00:53 ----------

Also worrying about insomnia and sleeping makes it HARDER to sleep! I've BTDT!

I know so you were able to beat your insomnia ?

ScaredLizard
12-01-17, 01:00
Really if I decide to take it should I just take 10mg?

I know so you were able to beat your insomnia ?

Not beat it but I don't freak out about it anymore. Even if I only get 5 hours of sleep they are restful. I don't panic if I can't get to sleep any longer. There are a lot of guided meditations on youtube you might find useful?

Miznuvem0412
12-01-17, 01:07
Not beat it but I don't freak out about it anymore. Even if I only get 5 hours of sleep they are restful. I don't panic if I can't get to sleep any longer. There are a lot of guided meditations on youtube you might find useful?

I really wouldn't mind 5hrs of deep sleep . My problem is I don't feel like I'm sleeping I'm in a half wake state and remember all my dreams . I don't feel like I'm sleeping . Not sure if anxiety is making it worst

BikerMatt
12-01-17, 01:07
[QUOTE=Miznuvem0412;1633774]Really if I decide to take it should I just take 10mg?

I would definitely start on 10mg.
Being totally honest though I wouldn't start it at all. I took it for 10 years and it was very hard to withdraw from.

ScaredLizard
12-01-17, 01:30
I really wouldn't mind 5hrs of deep sleep . My problem is I don't feel like I'm sleeping I'm in a half wake state and remember all my dreams . I don't feel like I'm sleeping . Not sure if anxiety is making it worst

It is! I've had those nights. Feels like I'm not sleeping. Strange dreams and then waking up being like 'Oh I slept.....30 minutes' and such. It's a rough cycle to get stuck in :hugs:

Miznuvem0412
12-01-17, 01:35
It is! I've had those nights. Feels like I'm not sleeping. Strange dreams and then waking up being like 'Oh I slept.....30 minutes' and such. It's a rough cycle to get stuck in :hugs:

So you had the light sleep and remembering all your dreams ?:weep: did it get better ? Yeah, it's really rough I cry at night sometimes because I feel like it's never going to end . I justness have to keep telling myself it's just my anxiety and hopefully get through it somehow