PDA

View Full Version : shortness of breath

Ethansmom
11-01-17, 22:34
I feel so winded, like I keep trying to take deep breaths. It all started with hyperventilating while walking around the other day. That spiraled into a full blown panic attack. I had a little shortness of breath yesterday (Xanax helped). I had a major headache that I was worried about yesterday, and didn't even notice the shortness of breath.

Today, I feel short of breath (headache is gone). I went to the doctor. She checked my oxygen levels and they were great-- 97 or 98. Something like that. She did an EKG and it was totally normal. She also listed to my lungs and chest and said they sounded great. Is this definitely anxiety?? She is also testing my blood to see if i'm anemic and for thyroid issues. She said both of those things can cause shortness of breath. Please help! I'm so worried!

bin tenn
11-01-17, 23:54
Sounds like residual panic, which isn't uncommon following a panic attack. The effects can last for days, even weeks, gradually tapering off. You "feel" short of breath, but that doesn't really mean you are. Clinical dyspnea would most likely present with low O2 saturation, IMO. False dyspnea is extremely common in anxiety and panic disorders.

You're fine. Perhaps there is a thyroid or similar issue, but probably not, IMO. I often get the shortness of breath, but I've never received a clinical reason. Just anxiety. It happens

swgrl09
12-01-17, 00:00
I just answered on your other thread if that helps.

AntsyVee
12-01-17, 01:41
I know you were trying different medications for awhile, but were never really on one of them for any length of time. Are you trying anything new now?

Ethansmom
12-01-17, 01:46
I tried Zoloft (name brand ) for 8 days at a super low dose. I started to get those ectopic beats . That freaked me out and I stopped.. the doctor wants me to try the medicine again with a different mind set. She says if they are ectopic beats, they're harmless..

AntsyVee
12-01-17, 01:47
I tried Zoloft (name brand ) for 8 days at a super low dose. I started to get those ectopic beats . That freaked me out and I stopped.. the doctor wants me to try the medicine again with a different mind set. She says if they are ectopic beats, they're harmless..

It sounds like a good idea to me. Medication takes away my physical anxiety symptoms. I'm on 15 mg of Lexapro a day.

Shelly15
12-01-17, 15:18
I'm having the exact same issue feel like I can't get a deep breath and feel winded, and my lungs feel tight. I went to the dr who done oxygen levels, checked my lungs, done blood test for iron and thyroid and everything was fine and put it down to stress and anxiety. It's horriable to makes me panic and feel extremely faint.

Fishmanpa
12-01-17, 15:24
This is a very common anxiety symptom. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#BreathingShortness_of_breath)

Positive thoughts

zippy
12-01-17, 15:29
I have been dealing with this too for a few weeks and had my oxygen levels checked (98%), heart and lungs listened too and all bloods done and all fine.

Ethansmom
14-01-17, 15:55
So if oxygen levels are good, does that actually mean we are not short of breath?

ServerError
14-01-17, 16:06
Obsessing over symptoms only makes things worse...

Once you've had medical tests and been assured that your problem is anxiety, every single symptom that "pops up" requires the same response. It's irrelevant what the symptom is. It all goes under the anxiety umbrella and is reacted to and treated in the exact same way.

(PS - check your PMs)

Ethansmom
14-01-17, 17:36
I keep feeling the need to take a deep breath which is rather annoying and then makes me more worried

Fishmanpa
14-01-17, 17:40
I keep feeling the need to take a deep breath which is rather annoying and then makes me more worried

Did you read the information in the link I posted?

This is a very common anxiety symptom. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#BreathingShortness_of_breath)

Positive thoughts

Ethansmom
14-01-17, 17:41
I did read it. I guess I should need to accept it for now. It's so uncomfortable.

ServerError
14-01-17, 17:42

All that's happened is you've become hyper-aware of your breathing and the sensations it involves. Worry about it all you want, you won't stop breathing. It's a normal, common anxiety symptom and is getting worse because you're giving it so much credibility.

PanickyGuy
14-01-17, 18:21
Hi Ethansmom, I'm thinking you might not know the details of how this happens, so I'll just pass on to you what my therapist told me and maybe that will help - what causes the shortness of breath is tightening of chest muscles, which of course feels like you can't breath properly (shortness of breath), but what causes the tightening of chest muscles (BTW and other muscles as well sometimes) is the body releasing adrenaline from a on coming anxiety\panic attack, even the minor ones too where you don't feel so anxious, but not quite calm, which in turn is your body just gearing up for the "fight or flight" response; just in case to be ready for anything.

Now unless you have something like acid reflux or GERD, like some of us on here have, that can cause a feeling of shortness of breath as well, because of bloating and indigestion pressing on the lower part of the lungs until you release the gas. But if you don't have that issue, then it it's more likely just the effect from anxiety\panic attacks releasing adrenaline, which causes the chest muscles to tighten up and to be ready.

Hope that helps. :winks:

Ethansmom
14-01-17, 19:32
Thank you! i'm going to work on some diaphragmatic breathing exercises to see if that helps. When i'm sitting at work and truly into my work, i'm not short of breath. It starts up when I start walking around. Maybe I truly am too aware of my breathing , which it turns adds fuel to the fire.

ServerError
14-01-17, 19:36
Thank you! i'm going to work on some diaphragmatic breathing exercises to see if that helps. When i'm sitting at work and truly into my work, i'm not short of breath. It starts up when I start walking around. Maybe I truly am too aware of my breathing , which it turns adds fuel to the fire.

There's no maybe about it.

Ethansmom
16-01-17, 17:56
I was walking briskly on the treadmill for 45 minutes and didn't felt short of breath once I got into it and starting listening to music
How can I stop focusing on my breathing? My stomachuscles feel tight and I feel a need to take deep breaths.