PDA

View Full Version : Lymph Node Biopsy...Waiting on Results

Lily777
11-01-17, 23:39
I had a lymph node biopsy today, under general anethesia. My surgeon came out and told my mom that he removed two lymph nodes instead of one, the biggest one being 1.5 cm, so very close to the original ultrasound report I had (which was 1.4 cm). I had been poking the lymph node literally right up until I went into the operating room, so that may be why it was a bit bigger (at least that's what i'm hoping for). He said he removed the second one just to be thorough. My mom asked if he's concerned that the biopsy will come back bad, and he said that he's not concerned at all, and says the nodes look reactive in nature. Can doctors really have an idea if lymph nodes are sinister or not just by how they look? My next appointment with him is on Tuesday, and the results should be in by then. He said if they aren't, then he will call me when they are. The waiting is terrifying, and all I can do is pray my doctor is right.

Fishmanpa
11-01-17, 23:50
Can doctors really have an idea if lymph nodes are sinister or not just by how they look?.

Yes... When I had my surgery to remove the diagnosed cancerous nodes, they removed 23 additional nodes. I have pics. The difference between healthy nodes and cancerous nodes was like the difference between a fresh piece of fruit to a rotten and decaying piece of fruit.

Positive thoughts

Catherine S
12-01-17, 00:43
Sorry, I'm confused here. Have the doctors removed these nodes at your request because you're worried, or did they suggested removing them because they're worried?

ISB

Lily777
12-01-17, 04:18
Thank you so much for your input Fishmanpa :hugs:

ISB, my ENT doctor suggested to remove them because of how anxious I was over them, as they are supraclavicular nodes. He said his money is on a benign reactive diagnosis, but he feels that peace of mind is important, so he just took them out.

Lily777
18-01-17, 00:36
I went for a follow-up appointment today to get my stitches out, and the results are not in yet. My doctor directly said, "Don't worry, they will be normal." He seems absolutely confident, but I am so, so afraid.

Stephenie.welch
18-01-17, 23:05
I feel like he wouldnt sound so confident and definitely bot tell you something like that if he didn't really believe it. I think everything will be normal!

Sphincterclench
19-01-17, 00:09
I wasnt aware they would do surgery under general anesthesia on request.
you pay cash?

GlassPinata
19-01-17, 01:21
All I can say is, 1.5 is not hugely enlarged; a lymph node might get this way simply from any minor infection.
I'm with your doctor here; my money is on "benign reactive".
1.5 certainly points to that; lymph nodes typically swell to 1.5 to 2 cm when they are reactive. I've heard that when you have cancer, they can get much larger- as big as golf balls.
Nothing we say will help you with this wait.
Just envision how happy and relieved you'll be, when you get that call and it turns out they were benign.
best wishes.

Mav
20-01-17, 21:17
I had a lymph node biopsy today, under general anethesia. My surgeon came out and told my mom that he removed two lymph nodes instead of one, the biggest one being 1.5 cm, so very close to the original ultrasound report I had (which was 1.4 cm). I had been poking the lymph node literally right up until I went into the operating room, so that may be why it was a bit bigger (at least that's what i'm hoping for). He said he removed the second one just to be thorough. My mom asked if he's concerned that the biopsy will come back bad, and he said that he's not concerned at all, and says the nodes look reactive in nature. Can doctors really have an idea if lymph nodes are sinister or not just by how they look? My next appointment with him is on Tuesday, and the results should be in by then. He said if they aren't, then he will call me when they are. The waiting is terrifying, and all I can do is pray my doctor is right.

How did it go?

Lily777
21-01-17, 09:13
Ugh, still no results. It has been 9 days since the nodes were sent to pathology, and there are no results yet. I am worried because it's taking so long. I'm losing my mind over this. :(

Lily777
23-01-17, 22:19
Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to inform everyone that the biopsy results came back as a completely normal lymph node. I am so, so happy that it came back normal; I feel like I can finally breathe again. I hope that this helps someone. I hope this shows that Google is definitely NOT always right, and that supraclavicular lymph nodes are NOT always a bad sign. We all need to have a little more trust in our doctors. :blush: :hugs:

Drisque
23-01-17, 22:36
I'm glad to hear your good news, especially since I'm facing a similar issue at the moment. I have a slightly enlarged right infraclavular lymph node at the moment, and it's been causing me a bit of stress for the last few weeks. Mine is quite small though, maybe 1 cm. Anyway, I'm sure all is well.

Have a good day.

Gary A
23-01-17, 22:38
I'm glad to hear your good news, especially since I'm facing a similar issue at the moment. I have a slightly enlarged right infraclavular lymph node at the moment, and it's been causing me a bit of stress for the last few weeks. Mine is quite small though, maybe 1 cm. Anyway, I'm sure all is well.

Have a good day.

You do know that 1cm is the average size of a normal lymph node, don't you?

Lily777
23-01-17, 22:42

Have a good day.

Mine was 1.5 cm. 1 cm does sound normal, but I completely understand the fear because google said that area is 100% bad news. Well mine was not, so I hope that helps you. If you need to talk at all, feel free to message me because I understand exactly how you feel.

NancyW
23-01-17, 22:59
Thank you so much for this update, I'm so very happy for you. :-)

Mav
23-01-17, 23:01
Good news, very relieved for you :)

I'm stressed about my cervical lymphnode that seems above 1.5cm :( Probably around 2cm.

Drisque
24-01-17, 00:32
I have read that 1 cm is normal, but I freaked myself out because it's not at all palpable on the other side, and if I bend my arm it gets pinched between my shoulder and clavicle causing me to feel it constantly. I'm sure it's fine, though.

Fishmanpa
24-01-17, 00:35
Glad to hear this. Hopefully, you can put this behind you :)

BTW...."Normal" can be up to 2cm depending on the location.

Positive thoughts

Emad1984
06-03-17, 13:19
Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to inform everyone that the biopsy results came back as a completely normal lymph node. I am so, so happy that it came back normal; I feel like I can finally breathe again. I hope that this helps someone. I hope this shows that Google is definitely NOT always right, and that supraclavicular lymph nodes are NOT always a bad sign. We all need to have a little more trust in our doctors. :blush: :hugs:

Great news!

Congrats on that :)