PDA

View Full Version : Going mad

tapco
12-01-17, 14:46
Hi

I'm in such a state. The pressure in my head is constant. My eyesight is weird. I'm so scared of going mad. I forget how to breathe. Chest feels full all the time. I forget how to swallow and have a 10 second or so panic while I try repeatedly to swallow

I really don't know what to do or where to turn.

J

SLA
12-01-17, 14:59
Seen a Doctor?

tapco
12-01-17, 15:10
Yes. Been a long time sufferer but seem to be getting worse.

I'm going to the docs in an hour but I can't see what they can do.

SLA
12-01-17, 15:13
Long-term sufferer of what? Sorry, I am being stupid. It doesn't say in your original post.

Kuatir
12-01-17, 15:14
You just described me approx a year and a half ago.

Propranolol and a stress management course, that's what helped me.

tapco
12-01-17, 15:25
@ SLA. Apologies. Anxiety and depression
I feel my brain is malfunctioning everyday

SLA
12-01-17, 16:11
I feel my brain is malfunctioning everyday

Me too. :D

What examples do you have of your brain malfunctioning?

tapco
12-01-17, 21:45
It's a tricky one to describe. I get the feeling I'm going to lose my mind. I'm very frightened the way i feel and the pressure in my head. Like a lot of folk the symptoms change. Usually I get a really tight chest. But lately it's been all my mind. I'm on the edge of panic.

ABE1981
12-01-17, 22:57
Hi if it's any comfort your not alone, I've also been a long term sufferer of severe anxiety and depression, and going through a bad patch, of anxiety attacks, and all the symptoms that come with it. Is scary I know, for me it's when my breathing goes real bad feel as though I'm suffocating, chest so tight. Stomach in knots, bad head, adrenaline. Tired and worn out. Not easy and extremely uncomfortable I know but will all get easier given time. Take care Abe

TheAnxiousEnglishman
13-01-17, 00:06
Hey,

I suffered with depersonalisation/derealisation a while back and thought I was losing the plot.

Just know that insane people don't know they are insane. If you were to say to a person who was clinically insane 'you've lost the plot, haven't you?', the likely response would be something like 'No. Me? I'm perfectly fine'.

The fact that you are worried about the state of your mind is a clear indication that it stems from anxiety and you aren't losing your mind. I know how frightening this symptom can be.

No amount of anxiety will cause a person to lose their mind, although they may feel like it.

You are not alone.

EDIT: I found that distraction is the best solution to keeping yourself focussed on reality. Even if you have to describe in your head what your senses are telling you. For example, 'I'm looking at the sky, I hear bird song, I can smell freshly cut grass etc...

tapco
13-01-17, 20:47
thanks for taking the time to reply all. I really feel like I'm losing my mind. I got a prescription for Venlafaxine today so will start on them tomorrow. I've had a spell on both citalopram and escitalopram previously but didn't get on with them well. I actually felt better when I stopped taking them!