PDA

View Full Version : panic in supermarket

rosebud
13-04-07, 11:09
Hi

Had a panic attack in the supermarket this morning. I was on my own so not good. Driving there i kept thinking hope i'll be ok, hope i don't feel funny so i know i brought it on myself thinking negative thoughts. Couldn't concentrate on what i was doing, wanted to run out but i didn't. I find the feelings of unreality the hardest to cope with. Just kept saying to myself i'me fine, don't be bluffed by these feelings it will pass and it did. Suppose i can count it as a success. Going to my Aunties tomorrow for a few days by train and feeling apprehensive about it but at least i will have hubby with me. Just two 20 minute journeys so hopefully i'll cope. Wish me luck.:emot-pray:

Traceyxxx

jude uk
13-04-07, 12:32
Well done just for getting this far:-)

I once ran out a super market just at the checkout because the anxiety was so high...A security guy came after me but was really cool when I told him what was up....Yea its amazing that many people are understanding when you explain how you feel...

Keep praising yourself each time you succeed.
We tend to beat ourselves up too much and if we have one failure we forget the 5 successess that we have just have.

Just know that on this site you will get that support

God bless

Lozzie
13-04-07, 13:13
First of all hun WELL DONE!! Even though you got those feelings and thoughts of just running out the door you didn't and that in itself is a big achievement!! :yesyes:

I hate going to the supermarket but when I do go and panic loads but manage to do it and come out I feel so proud of myself and feel on such a high that I could take on the world!! And if I go and feel the panic and then leave I feel so upset with myself and normally as soon as I'm out of the doors I instantly feel better and then feel guilty for not going through with it! So this gives me the determination to get through it everytime I go :)

Well done though and good luck on visiting your Auntie!! Remember you CAN DO IT!! :yesyes:
Good luck hun I am sure you will be fine :hugs: :hugs:
Laura xxxx:flowers:

trac67
13-04-07, 13:21
Well done Tracey you did great to ride out the panic and not allow it to control you :D
When I first started getting attacks I had one of the worst in ASDA and ran like the clappers leaving my shopping trolley plus 2 year old daughter sat in it in the middle of the aisle:blush: thank god my sister was with me and grabbed my daughter out of the trolley and came running after me lol
I think once you have had a bad panic in a certain place then it is always there in the back of your mind when you have to go there again.
Have a great time at your aunts, take the time to chill out and relax

Love

Trac xx

shoegal
13-04-07, 14:03
WELL DONE!!! :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:
The fact that you went and faced your fear was a success by itself so give yourself a big pat on the back.
I get panic attacks at the till for some reason and I know it can be really awful sometimes. My worst symptoms are shaking, racing heart, dry mouth and dizziness. Usually I can stick it out, but once I almost passed out and I had to go outside for air - it was sooo embarassing, but I still went back for my change!

Have a nice time at your aunties, and good luck on the train! :flowers: :flowers:

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

neptuno
13-04-07, 16:45
Well done ! Now you know you can do it - you can do it every time ! When you have your train journey just think back to how good it felt to see that panic through. Remember, its not the panic that frightens us but the FEAR of panic. Don't be frightened anymore..... you can do it

Jaco45er
13-04-07, 16:54
Supermarkets, they used to be a guaranteed Panic Attack for me. I used to get really lightheaded, hard to breath and that was before paying.

I read somewhere that, for anxiety suffers, Supermarkets and the like have a greater effect on anxiety sufferers due to the influx of information, light, crowds and open space when walking into one.

Apparantly, the flood of information and bright lights can trigger the sensitised mind into high anxiety.

Either that or the cost of living is shocking these days.

BTW, what Trac forgot to tell you was, she left her daughter in the isle and ran way with the shopping trolley ;).
TC

Jaco

Piglet
13-04-07, 17:01
Aww Rosebud supermarkets stink don't they.

When I can next get the courage to go to our big Tescos I am gonna play tills at the self service bit then I can keep myself occupied!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
13-04-07, 17:38
Hi Trace

Like the others have said, i think its a great achievement that you didnt let the Panic win and managed to stay in the sittuation.
Im another that dosnt like Supermarkets but i am working on it and getting there.:ohmy:
You did well today Trace proud of you hun !
:) :)

love

Andrea
xxxxx

rosebud
13-04-07, 18:50
Thanks guys for all your replies. Your support is much appreciated. Just packed my suitcase for our little trip. Going to try not to what if and just hope i'll be ok.
Thanks again.
Traceyxxx:D

Elemental Child
16-04-07, 18:35
I feel panicked in Supermarkets Jacko45er so true! ASDA is worst because too many colours, lights, info. I recently found out I'm electrosensitive and the flashes I perceive in fluorescents cause an overload (I thought everyone can see the oscillations!!). Now I have had a tint put on my glasses and I am not so affected by the lights. Try wearing some shades when you go shopping see if it makes a difference!