PDA

View Full Version : Good old Dr Google. Why we shouldn't go near him!

BrokenGirl
13-01-17, 14:58
We've all been there! Getting our diagnosis from good old Dr Google. I mean it's quick and convenient, you don't even have to leave the house to find out what's wrong with you. I can't tell you how many diagnosis myself and Dr Google have made, and guess what, we've been wrong 100% of the time.
I know this has been discussed many many times before, and it's even a sticky. But I just wanted to give my personal experience about this.
Last year my teenage son got sick ( I won't bother giving you his symptoms, don't want to trigger anyone). Anyway I took him to the doctor and it turned out he had a sinus infection. She gave him an antibiotic and after about a week he was fine again. I started to get curious so I googled the symptoms of sinus infection. And I was amazed at what I found. I clicked on 7 or 8 different websites and it turned out my son didn't have one of the symptoms listed on them. The symptoms on each website were fairly similar, but yet my son didn't have them. But I was happy that a REAL doctor had diagnosed him. My point here is that if I had googled his symptons before I took him to the doctor, god only knows what I would have found. In my opinion google is just too general. This was more proof to me that we MUST STAY AWAY from google. Google IS NOT a doctor. My son had a sinus infection but yet no website would have told me that!!
Sorry for going on a bit but I just thought it might show people yet again that Dr Google is a no go!!!!

P.S. For the fun of it, if you must google something, google that the earth is flat. There's even "proof" there that it's flat. :roflmao:

Clydesdale Epona
13-01-17, 15:15
I found the latter most amusing because if you came where i live you'd see the earth is certainly not flat :roflmao:
google may seem like a good doctor to us but in all reality he's a know it all who doesn't like to accept that he's wrong, and brought his doctorate off the internet for about £100 haha i couldn't even trust him with my research let alone anything medical, i feel like googling can become an addiction in a sense actually x

Brian_VA
13-01-17, 15:48
Google has had an awful impact on my life. It's an addiction. I have diagnosed myself with many rare diseases and infections only to watch my symptoms disappear days later. In addition, you can't unlearn what you have read on Google so I'm always on watch for some disease or symptom I read about once years ago. It's awful and I'm trying my best to stay away from it.

Fishmanpa
13-01-17, 15:57
I've suggested this before but it bears repeating...

There's no stopping the impulsion for many so if/when you find yourself at that little search window make sure you always add the word "anxiety" to the symptom you're searching.

There's a big difference in the results you'll get when you type in "chest pain anxiety" vs. just "chest pain".

Positive thoughts

Clydesdale Epona
13-01-17, 15:59
I've suggested this before but it bears repeating...

There's no stopping the impulsion for many so if/when you find yourself at that little search window make sure you always add the word "anxiety" to the symptom you're searching.

There's a big difference in the results you'll get when you type in "chest pain anxiety" vs. just "chest pain".

Positive thoughts

I love that idea! i'll remember to use it if i ever find myself googling x

BrokenGirl
13-01-17, 16:16
In addition, you can't unlearn what you have read on Google so I'm always on watch for some disease or symptom I read about once years ago.

This is so true. There are times when I wish I could erase my memory of some of the things I read on google. I know I wouldn't be half as freaked out now if I didn't know that stuff!!!

Thanks again Dr Google :mad:

Kuatir
13-01-17, 16:46
I sometimes wonder if there is a Mr or Mrs Google out there who has got a doctorate. I hope they never find this site :D

PanickyGuy
14-01-17, 03:01
Oh man you can type in a simple thing like a blemish that is probably harmless (like when you know it's really a birthmark) and by the time you are done, Dr. Google would have told you that you're already dead or should be dead. :doh:

I swear, Dr. Google will drive you to the brink of insanity if you don't keep your skeptic wits about you. :D

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-17, 03:40
Has anyone seen that new doctor app in the UK, Click Doctor? It must be a bit like Embarrassing Bodies.

---------- Post added at 03:40 ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 ----------

I sometimes wonder if there is a Mr or Mrs Google out there who has got a doctorate. I hope they never find this site :D

They get slated across the Internet more than all the zelebs put together. :D