PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline and Diahorrea

Wilburis
13-04-07, 12:08
Hi

Been taking Sertraline for just over a week and have been getting diahorrea (sorry for the gross info!!), just wondered if this was normal and how long will it last.

Also, last night in bed, my stomach started rumbling, so I knew what was coming. I felt really hot and my heart was racing too, until I got to the toilet, has anyone else had this!??

Thanks - Liz xx

Tinkerbell200
13-04-07, 12:33
Hi

I had the same so dont worry, are you taking it with food as I found this helped a bit? It was horrible though seemed to just come on all of a sudden and you have to rush to the loo lol Also what dose are you on? I started at 50mg and the dodgy stomach lasted between 1-2 weeks then I upped my dose and it all started again! I am currently on 200mg and all the side effects have mainly gone except grinding my teeth a bit still. The other side effects I had were sweating even when it was cold, forgetting things, feeling sick and headaches. They have all gone now so stick with it they will go away!

Can I ask what your on them for? They used to be really good for my depression but now its come back with avengance so I am currently weaning off them to try something else. I am gutted they have stopped working as I felt so happy, my panic had gone and the anxiety was so much better!

Anyway if you want to chat more im on msn! xx

Wilburis
13-04-07, 13:09
Hi Tinkerbell

Thanks for replying so quickly!!!!

In a weird way its good to know Im not the only one suffering with a dodgy tummy. It is awful though, really comes out of nowhere and I just have to get to a toilet!! Weve got someone staying at the mo, so thank god we have 2 toilets!!! Ive been on them for 10 days (50mg) for anxiety, panic and depression. I do feel a bit better in myself, but the other side effects, like really awful headaches and constant sickness feeling are blooming awful. They seem to have stopped now (touch wood) but now I have a bad tummy!!! I do take them with food but really I have no appetite.

How long were you on Sertraline for? What are you going to take instead? Why did they stop working?

Take care (sorry dont have MSN)

Liz xx

Tinkerbell200
13-04-07, 14:13
Hi Liz

I have been on them for about 6months I was doing great never been happier but the last month I just feel so depressed, cant stop crying, dont wanna go out :weep: etc... The doctor said with some people your body gets used to them and so it no longer has a good effect.My sister has been on the her ad's for 6years and they are still working fine for her!!
I was put on them mainly for my ocd which it sort of helped to begin with (i just forgot to check things!!) but that didnt last long so I am on the waiting list for CBT. Was also put on them for depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I am really gutted I am feeling so down as I put up with all the side effects and now I am coming off them and will probably have all the side effects again with the new tablets!
Not sure what Im going on next need to decrease my dose by 50mg every 2 weeks if I can cope with the withdrawal. I havent really felt anything effects yet hopefully it will stay like that! lol
Are these the first tablets you have tried? I have tried dosulepin made me too sleepy and hungry and prozac which made my anxiety worse!!
You could try taking Immodium that did help me, I was worried about going out and getting caught short! lol xx

Wilburis
13-04-07, 14:25
Hi

Sorry to hear that you are going to have to suffer new side effects with new meds!!

I have tried Nortripyline and Lofepramine (they are the older tricyclics) but they made me feel very dizzy and faint, and boy, did I have a dry mouth and constipation!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see, the problem is that I am pregnant and so dont really want to take any meds but really cant survive without taking something. I used to be in bed all day, couldnt do anything, no cooking, cleaning, just sat on the sofa!

I have been to see a Perinatal Consultant, who took down my history and she sais Sertraline was the best meds for me. She said the benefits outweighed the risks. Please dont judge me on taking meds during pregnancy, I would have judged other people doing it, but until it happens to yourself you cant begin to understand the turmoil pregnant people go through. The other way the Consultant made it clear this was the right course of action for me was, not eating, crying, stress, panic attacks, etc, cant be good for the baby either!!!

I dont want to take Immodium, have taken it before, yuk, you need to go but you cant!!!!!!!!!!! I cant think of anything worse!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what new meds you will be put on?

Sorry to be nosey, but what is your sister on?

Take care - Liz xx

Tinkerbell200
13-04-07, 15:42
Ahh congratulations on the baby! when are you due? I can imagine all the hormones making you feel worse than you already do! glad to hear the tablets are helping though and you are coping with everyday life better, and you have a baby to look forward to! I hope you dont mind me asking, was the baby planned? Its just we would love to start trying for a baby but Im just worried how my mental state would affect the baby! and that id be a bad mum :(

not sure what im going on next I know everyone is different but I have read good reviews about Seroxat & Effexor but then you hear the horror stories about them to lol I definately dont want another tricylic (sp) like dosulepin felt so spaced out just wanted to sleep all the time. Hopefully the next thing will work its just a pain its gonna take like 2months to get off these. Im getting married in July and dont want horrible side effects from the new tablets on my wedding day and honeymoon! lol
My sister is on citalopram they still work for her but everytime she has tried to come off them she just feels really depressed again. she was in a bad car accident so went on them as she kept having flash backs, panic and anxiety and was pretty depressed too as you can imagine.
Where do you live in UK? Im in hampshire! xx

Wilburis
13-04-07, 17:01
Hi Tnkerbell

OMG!! I cant believe this!!!!!!!!!

Youre getting married in July, Im getting married next week, Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was fine up until I took Clomid (as Ive polycystic ovaries), back in October, then I started with my anxiety and panic. Doctors think it might all be hormone related. I have got worse as the pregnancy has progressed.

Im now 21 weeks gone and it was planned.

My Doctors did not want me taking anything before 12 weeks. There are meds which are safe to use in pregnancy, Sertraline, Prozac and some of the tricyclics are.

A lot of people who suffer with panic apparently get better during pregnancy as I think its progesterone has a calming effect, a bit like Diazepam!!!! Thats what Ive heard!!!! Theres a lot of info on the net about panic and pregnancy.

If you do want to try for a baby, could you not talk to your GP, or ask him to refer you to a Perinatal Consultant.

Your poor sister, I hope she recovers in time. A lot of people I know are on the same meds as her. COuld you not go on them? (Although I dont think they can be used in pregnancy)!!!

I live in Kent.

Great chatting to you - Liz xx

Tinkerbell200
15-04-07, 17:16
Hi liz

have you had a good weekend? the weather has been great here in Hampshire! I suppose I could try the citalopram just gonna wait to see what the doctor suggests. I suppose its just trial and error until you find the right meds. Think were gonna put off trying for a baby for a while, get the wedding out the way and enjoy married life for a while, still got plenty of time im only 24!! Hubbie 2b though is 27 so his clock is ticking lol So far so good on decreasing the sertraline, hope it stays that way!
Hope you and the baby bean are fine and your side effects are disappearing!

xx

lisam
09-05-09, 17:10
Hi ive been on Sertraline for 6 weeks and when I increased my dose to 150mg 2 weeks ago - I started with a bad stomach- diarrohea and ruching to the toilet- so its totally normal. x x x x

sharona
09-05-09, 17:41
Hi Both

I have just been taken off seroxat and put on sertraline, not taken any yet so not sure what to expect but I has bad stomachs and had to rush to the toilet on seroxat so maybe its a side effect of most AD,s?

I am not lookinf forward to the change in meds so I also spoke to the pharmasist who reasurred me sertraline does not have the same side effects as seroxat.

My doctor told me to stop taking seroxat and start with the sertraline straight away.

I will let you know how I get on.

Good luck

Sharona

mdLc
12-05-09, 18:33
YES..I have the same symptoms ever since i started 2 weeks ago..now i need to raise the dose from 50 to 100 and i am nervous to do it in case the symptoms gets worse...i lost 14 pounds in the past 2 weeks...

cedlong
19-05-09, 23:12
I've had this for 5 1/2 years! I assume it's the anxiety, although Sertraline can cause it as a side effect.

I have just increased dose to 125mg and feel awful. It's been 3 weeks and I see no improvement. Feeling sick, very tired, dizzy, irritable, etc.